Real crab in MDR?

baelor

On 8/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, footzz said:

Anyone who's ever had Maryland crab cakes in Maryland would have serious doubts about the authenticity.

anyone who hasnt may as well 🙂 haha

Edited by soapbxking

Dear sweet Lawd!!  If anyone thinks they will find(included in the cruise fare we pay), anything that is remotely close to a actual authentic Maryland Crab Cake, or even a non Maryland, still very delicious crab cake, then I have ocean front property in kansas that can be had for almost nothing 🙂  

At the price point, does anyone expect it to melt in their mouth?  🙂  haha

• Haha 2

A confidential, reliable, anonymous news source revealed that the lack of crab in the RCCL 'crab cakes' was inadvertent. They discovered that the person responsible for writing the menu description was dyslexic. They were actually supposed to be Carb Cakes.

Edited by footzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, soapbxking said:

Dear sweet Lawd!!  If anyone thinks they will find(included in the cruise fare we pay), anything that is remotely close to a actual authentic Maryland Crab Cake, or even a non Maryland, still very delicious crab cake, then I have ocean front property in kansas that can be had for almost nothing 🙂  

At the price point, does anyone expect it to melt in their mouth?  🙂  haha

Thank you for the laugh.  I think you hit it on the head.  You made me remember when my nephew got into it with the waitress and manager of Rain Forest Café at Disney when he was 9 years old.     (a few disclosers about the up coming story.  1. this happened in 2004 when he was 9 years old.  2.  we live in MD so we have grown up on MD blue crabs. 3.  My nephew has been eating seafood since he was 6 months old...everything from shrimp and crabs to mussels and clams...he has been picking blue crabs since he was a year old (he was eating them faster then me or my sister could pick them for him and we were getting none so we showed him how to pick them, same with his brother)    4. no he is not/was not disrespectful, he was just telling them the way it was because they were treating him like an idiot.)

With that being said on with the story.

We had lunch at Rain Forest and there was "real MD crab cakes" (what the menu said...I have the photo) on the menu.  My nephew asked the waitress if they were truly real MD crab cakes, and the waitress said yes.  So he ordered them.  He took a bite of them and they were frozen over binder (bread/crackers) filled crab cakes with hardly any crab in it (really don't think any crab was in it).  The waitress came over and asked if everything was okay...he spoke up and told her she lied that she should not say they are true MD crab cakes because they are not.  This waitress went on to be little my nephew telling him that he didn't know what a crab cake was, he should never ordered it, she was a spoiled rude child for telling her she lied to him.  He nicely asked to speak to the manager...this made the waitress even madder. (I will interject with this now this is were he got a little disrespectful and my sister let him handle the problem because to tell ya the truth the waitress should not have been a waitress and if my sister or I said something to the waitress it would have not been nice and we would have walked out in cuffs that is how rude the waitress was and later the manager.)  When the manager came over she started be littleing my nephew also.  After my nephew had his say with the waitress and manager, my sister stepped in and said something of how they treated a paying guest, she got their names and called corp on them.

The lesson learned from this story.....NEVER ORDER A MARYLAND CRAB CAKE UNLESS YOU ARE IN A MARYLAND RESTURANT!!!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, kimberlym322 said:

Thank you for the laugh.  I think you hit it on the head.  You made me remember when my nephew got into it with the waitress and manager of Rain Forest Café at Disney when he was 9 years old.     (a few disclosers about the up coming story.  1. this happened in 2004 when he was 9 years old.  2.  we live in MD so we have grown up on MD blue crabs. 3.  My nephew has been eating seafood since he was 6 months old...everything from shrimp and crabs to mussels and clams...he has been picking blue crabs since he was a year old (he was eating them faster then me or my sister could pick them for him and we were getting none so we showed him how to pick them, same with his brother)    4. no he is not/was not disrespectful, he was just telling them the way it was because they were treating him like an idiot.)

With that being said on with the story.

We had lunch at Rain Forest and there was "real MD crab cakes" (what the menu said...I have the photo) on the menu.  My nephew asked the waitress if they were truly real MD crab cakes, and the waitress said yes.  So he ordered them.  He took a bite of them and they were frozen over binder (bread/crackers) filled crab cakes with hardly any crab in it (really don't think any crab was in it).  The waitress came over and asked if everything was okay...he spoke up and told her she lied that she should not say they are true MD crab cakes because they are not.  This waitress went on to be little my nephew telling him that he didn't know what a crab cake was, he should never ordered it, she was a spoiled rude child for telling her she lied to him.  He nicely asked to speak to the manager...this made the waitress even madder. (I will interject with this now this is were he got a little disrespectful and my sister let him handle the problem because to tell ya the truth the waitress should not have been a waitress and if my sister or I said something to the waitress it would have not been nice and we would have walked out in cuffs that is how rude the waitress was and later the manager.)  When the manager came over she started be littleing my nephew also.  After my nephew had his say with the waitress and manager, my sister stepped in and said something of how they treated a paying guest, she got their names and called corp on them.

The lesson learned from this story.....NEVER ORDER A MARYLAND CRAB CAKE UNLESS YOU ARE IN A MARYLAND RESTURANT!!!!!

That was a great story!!!!  :-)I am thinking since the damn waitress doesnt even know where MAryland is and has NEVER had a actual crab cake, maybe they should just say, its our rendition 🙂 haha

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soapbxking said:

That was a great story!!!!  :-)I am thinking since the damn waitress doesnt even know where MAryland is and has NEVER had a actual crab cake, maybe they should just say, its our rendition 🙂 haha

I could not agree more.

19 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I like making my own also but these days crab meat costs two gripping claws and 10 legs! 😁

I live on Delmarva (eastern shore of MD) and we have lucked out some this year.  Mix of sm and med's have been going for about 120-130.00 for a bushel.  Or we go catch our own.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:41 AM, kimberlym322 said:

We had lunch at Rain Forest and there was "real MD crab cakes" (what the menu said...I have the photo) on the menu.  My nephew asked the waitress if they were truly real MD crab cakes, and the waitress said yes.  So he ordered them.  He took a bite of them and they were frozen over binder (bread/crackers) filled crab cakes with hardly any crab in it (really don't think any crab was in it). 

Must have been the frozen Phillips crab cakes that are sold as "genuine " Maryland crab cakes.

I ate at the Phillips in Ocean City once.  It happened to be flounder season and people fishing were pulling in flounder near the restaurant.

I ordered the fresh filet of flounder with crabmeat stuffing.  When it was served to me, it was still frozen in the center and the crabmeat stuffing was bread, chopped peppers, and  crab flavoring (no discernible crab meat).

It was my first and last meal at Phillips. 

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Must have been the frozen Phillips crab cakes that are sold as "genuine " Maryland crab cakes.

I ate at the Phillips in Ocean City once.  It happened to be flounder season and people fishing were pulling in flounder near the restaurant.

I ordered the fresh filet of flounder with crabmeat stuffing.  When it was served to me, it was still frozen in the center and the crabmeat stuffing was bread, chopped peppers, and  crab flavoring (no discernible crab meat).

It was my first and last meal at Phillips. 

Phillips is a famous brand.  They closed the last Phillips down here last fall.  In my 30+ years living in OC I think I ate there 3 times.   Did not like their food at all.  Hoopers, Watermen’s, and Crab Ally use to be good but over the years have gone down hill!   The places in this town the prices keep going up and the quality of the food goes down.   Like there is a sub shop in OC that a large cheesesteak sub is almost 15.00, and all you get is 2 stakeums on it…not even real stake but they charge 15.00!  We go to a place called Old Mill in Delmar Delaware about an hour from OC when we want good  seafood.  As a matter of fact I am going Sunday to celebrate what would have been my dads 72nd birthday there….he loved the Old Mill!

• 1 month later...

Royal has long used fake imitation krab in the crab cakes. Texture and color give it away.  Quality crab cakes will at some point have bits of shell and bone. Royals has never. It doesn't taste like real stuff, look like real stuff. It is a cheap forgery 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, kimberlym322 said:

I live on Delmarva (eastern shore of MD) and we have lucked out some this year.  Mix of sm and med's have been going for about 120-130.00 for a bushel.  Or we go catch our own.

You can catch those crabs anywhere,  including the sewer system. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 7:23 AM, soapbxking said:

I don't even order crab cakes anymore. I've been disappointed too many times!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have eaten crab cakes in Maryland and the crab cakes on cruises taste exactly the same .

Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. I was born in Maryland and have spent countless evenings around a table picking crab. For me none can compare to a Maryland crab cake. I'm happy for you though. 

30 minutes ago, NoShoes2 said:

Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. I was born in Maryland and have spent countless evenings around a table picking crab. For me none can compare to a Maryland crab cake. I'm happy for you though. 

I am not comparing ship food to restaurant food but just stating that the ship crab cakes taste great.

I have a son in law who was born in MD and he disagrees with me.

32 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not comparing ship food to restaurant food but just stating that the ship crab cakes taste great.

I have a son in law who was born in MD and he disagrees with me.

Yes, I understand. We all have different tastes/likes. 

On my Seranade Panama Canal cruise last fall we had both.  I had a crab appetizer that was was real crab in the early part of the cruise.  Towards the end of the cruise, Steak Oscar was on the menu, described as being topped with crab, it was not, it was surimi.

I don't mind surimi, as long as it is billed as surimi or immitation crab.  I was very disappointed in the Steak Oscar and would not have ordered it if the description had been correct.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:37 PM, Merion_Mom said:
On 8/12/2022 at 10:37 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I can say with complete confidence that there is no real crab served on a Royal Caribbean ship.

I disagree 100 percent

Technically, you both are right.  When we order crab at a restaurant, it could be Alaskan King Crab; Dungeness Crab; or even Stone Crab.  But if you advertise "Maryland Crab Cakes" you must use a Blue Crab.  It would be like ordering "New England Fish and Chips" and then receiving baked salmon served with potato chips!

• Like 2