Unwanted & unsolicited YC "upgrade"

awkward_octopus

19 hours ago, awkward_octopus said:

Just got off the phone with another MSC agent who was significantly more competent. She understood the issue, but was pretty insistent there was nothing she could do for me as the class of room I booked was now sold out. She did offer to move me into an Aurea Whirlpool Suite which I obviously refused.

I brought up that we would not be able to dine with my parents in the YC dining room which kind of kills the upgrade for us. I inquired about having my parents bumped to YC, but the only YC room remaining is the Royal Suite which she made clear wasn't an option.

Lastly, I suggested that they give someone else in a 2bdrm suite the upgrade to YC and have them trade rooms with us. I suspect this is a long shot but she did say she would go to her manager and see what was possible. I'm currently waiting on a call back with the results of that.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts/advice so far. Will keep you posted.

They won't do nothing despite them telling you otherwise.

Did they tell you to email them?

I know they gave you the "supervisor will contact you in 48-72 hours" line. All BS. They never will.  I have had so many issues with them, see my prior post.

They make promises they won't keep. Their IT and customer service is horrendous.

I love the product but can't deal with the other stuff so I use a TA now and let them deal with it.

I wish you luck but my past experiences even involving legal counsel will get you nothing other than if you don't like it cancel!

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes and if you call them they will screw up your booking even more.

How about booking a Yacht club Grand suite and getting a balcony on deck 8 for no reduction in fare and no access to YC.

It happened to me last year.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

This has been sorted out at embarkation hopefully? 

3 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Oh my. You're new here, aren't you?

In fact, yes.

But, while I do get that MSC IT can get out in all sort of trouble, it was my understanding that staff on the ship were actually helpful and managed to did their best to clean up the mess.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iwtobek said:

In fact, yes.

But, while I do get that MSC IT can get out in all sort of trouble, it was my understanding that staff on the ship were actually helpful and managed to did their best to clean up the mess.

My comment was in jest. Don't take me too seriously.

@mscdivina2016 posts about his getting screwed by MSC. That was the joke. Search the forum for "salsa cruise" if you want to read how multiple people reported getting the shaft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iwtobek said:

In fact, yes.

They managed to do nothing. Read the Salsa thread as the previous poster mentioned and see how horrendous we were treated.

They did not care at all and just wanted to make sure they did not get sued by giving the ship to the salsa people.

12 hours ago, publicpersona said:

My comment was in jest. Don't take me too seriously.

No worries. It's not that often that I can honestly reply “actually yes” to the “you must be new here” posts!  😅

12 hours ago, publicpersona said:

@mscdivina2016 posts about his getting screwed by MSC. That was the joke. Search the forum for "salsa cruise" if you want to read how multiple people reported getting the shaft.

Very interesting read, thanks. Adding this to my pile of “honey once we book MSC consider the money lost, and btw if we're lucky we're going to cruise eventually”

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They managed to do nothing. Read the Salsa thread as the previous poster mentioned and see how horrendous we were treated.

They did not care at all and just wanted to make sure they did not get sued by giving the ship to the salsa people.

I would pay gold to see the meeting where MSC people were like “hey I have an idea, we can bump our YC guests out YC but we keep the fare and if they protest let's give them free Wi-Fi” and somebody added “that's genius and as a souvenir let's print Yacht Club Experience on their tickets” and someone smart “but they're not getting YC experience are they?” and finally “who needs a butler when it says Yacht Club Experience on the ticket” and last word from the boss “look folks I know my customers: what they want is the small print on the ticket, you know it's for Instagram, who cares about the cabin/pool/lounge/butler/restaurant anyway besides those fanatics at CC and surely none of them is on this voyage”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

Who did they sell your cabin to and why?  That is the question.

Back to the topic of this thread I suppose? for @mscdivina2016 story the link above says it all.

Maybe their stateroom got allocated to some VIP or company executive. Maybe they have maintenance going on. Maybe a computer glitch. Who knows.

It's a very shame Aurea/YC Suites do not have access to some kind of shoreside concierge/helpdesk, useful in handling situations like this. Guests cannot expect to be treated the same when they book an inside at a discounted price or a 2BR suite…

On 8/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes and if you call them they will screw up your booking even more.

How about booking a Yacht club Grand suite and getting a balcony on deck 8 for no reduction in fare and no access to YC.

It happened to me last year.

PXL_20210925_124436611.MP~3.jpg

No, please not again..........😴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JAGR said:

Cry "Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!

@JAGR, the re-re-re-retelling may remind you of Mark Antony's line in Act 3 of Julius Caesar, but I'm reminded of...
NIAGARA FALLS!! Sloooowly I turned, and step by step... inch by inch...

Niagara-Falls-Stooges.gif.a60baba5af3879c5b548b4008059b803.gif

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

To close the loop on this thread, I received a new booking confirmation email this morning. I'm back in a 2 bedroom suite. Seems like persistence paid off! Thanks all for your suggestions. 

I'm not sure which straw broke the camel's back, but here's a list of everything I did:

- 2 phone calls

- an email to reservations@msccruises.ca

- an email to customerservice@msccruises.ca

- a Facebook message to MSC Canada

- an email to a senior manager at MSC I found on LinkedIn (I'm not going to disclose their name)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, awkward_octopus said:

To close the loop on this thread, I received a new booking confirmation email this morning. I'm back in a 2 bedroom suite. Seems like persistence paid off! Thanks all for your suggestions. 

I'm not sure which straw broke the camel's back, but here's a list of everything I did:

- 2 phone calls

- an email to a senior manager at MSC I found on LinkedIn (I'm not going to disclose their name)

I am impressed. Glad it worked out for you.

My own issues never end with MSC.  Just found out today my 17 night Saudi Arabia YC cabin for 2023 is now a guarantee.😡

5 hours ago, awkward_octopus said:

- 2 phone calls

That’s so good!  I’m happy for you!

Have fun and please come back and tell us how it was!

I can shed some light why your room was swapped. We had the same issue last year in December with a 2 bedroom suite. We did however luckly get upgraded to 2x yacht Club Deluxes. There was myself, wife, son and my mother. 

The reason is that they changed your cabin is that they are using all the 2 Bedroom suites for COVID isolation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 2:56 AM, styles27 said:

Unfortunately they can change your stateroom and they explain that right in the booking confirmation email you received when you booked the cruise. I don’t believe the agent you spoke to gave you the correct reason. I agree with you. 
We just booked Divina for December and this was in the confirmation email. See where it says “stateroom number” in the pic below. 

Coincidentally on our first ever MSC cruise we booked an aft balcony and we were upgraded to the YC for free 2 days before the cruise. I wasn’t happy because I really wanted the larger aft balcony but boy am I glad they couldn’t switch us back because it was an incredible experience. 
In your case though I wouldn’t be pleased to go from a 2 room suite to 1 room. But I think you will enjoy the YC and all of its perks. Unfortunately if they’re telling you the original room isn’t available I think you’re out of luck unless you can get them to give you adjoining rooms in the YC. 
9DA97199-2B82-42B0-B2C7-F1ED133D0C8F.thumb.jpeg.04b8b5b9593962639d11353838152e98.jpeg

There is an online agency site that has live availability. For EXample you can see if any other suites are free.

20 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

There is an online agency site that has live availability. For EXample you can see if any other suites are free.

I think you may have quoted the wrong post but I’m curious to which online agency site has this info?

Even MSC’s site has different stateroom availability showing compared to what their own reps are seeing at the same exact time on their end. (I’ve had that happen) 

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

I think you may have quoted the wrong post but I’m curious to which online agency site has this info?

Even MSC’s site has different stateroom availability showing compared to what their own reps are seeing at the same exact time on their end. (I’ve had that happen) 

We can't post it without violating the rules here, But they are right about live availability.

Also keep in mind some very large agencies have blocks of rooms on hold. So they may have more inventory than the cruise line.

I have a cruise next month. All suites are sold out, but the large agency has 1.  

• Thanks 1