Arriving in Brooklyn

buchanan101

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sadly, keeping fully on the go and fully loaded  is essential to profitable cruise ship operation.  There are too few people who would stay on board for two or three days to make it work.  It would be like a hotel planning to be empty.  Even if Cunard could market and sell TA's with three days in Brooklyn on turn-around, how many people would want to shuffle back to Red Hook every evening, rather than  stay in Manhattan.

It may have been different if it docked over on the west side of Manhattan. I've seen a cruise ship right next to the Aircraft Carrier museum.  That would be a pretty good spot to "hotel" in New York.

I'm guessing it's either size, or the need for immigration facilities that means Brooklyn is used?

6 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It may have been different if it docked over on the west side of Manhattan. I've seen a cruise ship right next to the Aircraft Carrier museum.  That would be a pretty good spot to "hotel" in New York.

I'm guessing it's either size, or the need for immigration facilities that means Brooklyn is used?

Size, I think. QM2 sticks out a long way into the Hudson.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Size, I think. QM2 sticks out a long way into the Hudson.

well I guess they need to keep it clear for planes to land on?

It was the Carnival Vista I saw parked there in 2016. - which isn't actually much longer than Concorde

QM2 is actually only a cricket pitch longer than the Carnival Vista, at least according to wikipedia

IMG_4036.jpg

Edited by buchanan101

On 8/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, spirit rev said:

When we arrived back to Brooklyn on July 8th this year, we booked a private car transfer through Cunard. It was one of the best decisions we made. We arranged it through the Grills concierge. You can choose a time to have the car available. We were through the disembarkation process about 30 minutes ahead of the time we selected. There was a car waiting for us at that time. Taxis were not plentiful that day nor the day we embarked on July 1.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, techteach said:

Private car is booked through Cunard, but we’re going to having luggage forward. Love the tip of grabbing a porter. How will the luggage forward work in this scenario?

How much was the private car transfer and where on the ship do you book it? Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

How much was the private car transfer and where on the ship do you book it? Thanks in advance

The cost is based on where you want to go and how many people. We had a large SUV for 4 people to go below 50th or so street in Manhatten. If I'm remembering it was around $240.

You can book it through shore excursions on Cunard.