Azura?? Worth a try from RCL loyal guest

dino1037

I have cruised 9 times… 8 on RCL and once on NCL( disliked this)

We love RCL but found a cheap deal for Azura in December…. We were going to do a week in hotel in Canaries but found this 
Any views from cruisers who have done both?

I am worried I might be disappointed by this ship as it’s dated… and might

find it small

Bit dates and cost make it attractive 

We have cruised with both RCL and P&O and found them not too dissimilar. RCL ships are a bit more glitzy - wave riders and ice rinks etc. - however P&O is less expensive for drinks and speciality meals, and have more choices for cruises out of Southampton. We like both! (We haven’t been on any of the really big RCL ships though). 

57 minutes ago, dino1037 said:

We love RCL but found a cheap deal for Azura in December…. We were going to do a week in hotel in Canaries but found this 

find it small

As the Azura sails from Santa Cruz in Tenerife you could have a week before or after the cruise in Tenerife either in Puerto de la Cruz or Playa de las America's.

At 116,000 tons it is bigger than Royal Caribbean Radiance class but smaller than Voyager class.

There are no tips to pay and the drinks prices and speciality restaurants are much cheaper than Royals.

The cruise around the Canaries is a very good itinerary and the weather will be perfect in December and imo Azura is a good ship.

Graham.

If dates & price....especially price....are good then it is certainly worth trying it. RCI & P&O are totally different experiences ....keep that in mind and you may be pleasantly surprised....it is possible to enjoy different experiences and approaches  and if you don't try then you will never know

1 hour ago, dino1037 said:

find it small

We have cruised many times with both lines and enjoyed them both. My advice would be to give it a try as you may be surprised, we have not cruised with RCL for a few years as the line doesnot suit our current likes whereas P&O does. 

We are  booked on Azura 9th December from Gatwick and before they announced which Which London airport you could fly from the price for an inside cabin was £729 and if you could fly from Glasgow on 10th it was £650. 

Going on Azura to Croatia next week been on her twice already and Ventura her sister ship once.

She had a refit in November 2021 so will be interested to see whats new next week. We enjoy the bigger ships because on sea days there seems to be more space to find your own space and it also has a promenade deck which Brittania does not due to all the additional balcony cabins. Never done RCL so cannot compare.

I've cruised with RCL 8 times too and have cruised with P&O twice. First time was on Oriana - Northern Lights itinerary; second time on Britannia.  P&O are different from RCL but I liked both.  RCL has more wow entertainment - flowrider, rock climbing wall, bumper cars, parades etc.  P&O seems quieter, no wow entertainment.  I would say it depends if you're cuising for the ship and its features or for the itinerary

I would certainly look at P&O in the future as their pricing is more my budget at the moment and the ship facilities suit my needs

Edited by Sarah1974

9 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

We are  booked on Azura 9th December from Gatwick and before they announced which Which London airport you could fly from the price for an inside cabin was £729 and if you could fly from Glasgow on 10th it was £650. 

Going on Azura to Croatia next week been on her twice already and Ventura her sister ship once.

She had a refit in November 2021 so will be interested to see whats new next week. We enjoy the bigger ships because on sea days there seems to be more space to find your own space and it also has a promenade deck which Brittania does not due to all the additional balcony cabins. Never done RCL so cannot compare.

On Azura over Xmas last year. The refit you mention was mechanical

only. The ship was a disgrace and was not fit to sail on, our cruise

was the first one since being out of commission. The cabins were

not fit, dirty carpets, bathroom grout all falling apart, the food was

a joke, especially over Xmas. Have just returned from cruise on

Emerald Princess, identical design to Azura, cannot describe the

difference, it was so much improved. Will not be going on Azura again.