Why dining takes forever on Day 1 at the MDR

Currently sailing on WOTS

We've had no problem with the first night we embarked in Barcelona and today interporting in Rome.

I think by being traditional sitting you are fine the problem seems to be with MTD the first night when passengers who haven’t pre booked a time just walk in at the same time.

I guess it's also because people might show up late on the first day, Waiters have to introduce themselves, explain procedures to new cruisers and getting to know the new guests as well.

On our Japan cruise out of Shanghai on Spectrum, it was actually quite the opposite. Apparently, chinese cruisers prefer to get done with their meal as quickly as possible. We prefer to take our time. So by the time we had finished with the appetizers, the chinese families around us already were in the middle of dessert, pretty much getting ready to leave. 🙂 Even with telling the waiters to take their time, we were done in less than an hour. But the food wasn't good anyways. For Westeners, they just had a laminated paper with a couple of menu options (even with pictures), it felt like ordering at a street vendor in an exotic country. Luckily we had the lowest category of junior suites booked (they were really affordable) which included their own restaurant and lounge (Silver Dining) in the place where the Solarium Bistro normally is. Service and food there were top class and we never went back to the Main Dining Room. For higher category suites, there was even another dining location on the floor above, called Gold Dining and Lounge 🙂

Looking forward to enjoy the Main Dining Room on our upcoming TA on Wonder. Heard good things about the food quality there. 

First night chaos is a cruising tradition and one of the reasons when I cruise solo I head for the Foodjammer on the first night for sure, and most nights after that as well.  I try to eat sensibly and avoid full meals late in the evening.  I do, however, enjoy the MDR for breakfasts and lunches.