Why dining takes forever on Day 1 at the MDR

Maybe it is coincidence but I always notice that dining takes forever in day 1 at the MDR. Last time on freedom many passengers were mentioning the same, like if the company want cruises to stop going to the MDR and instead visit the windjammer ? 

Because they rotate serving staff and introduce new ones so it takes them a day or so to get in the groove.  First morning breakfast is the same.  They're also short of staff and anytime servers or galley staff test positive it leaves the work for others to help out.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

Because they rotate serving staff and introduce new ones so it takes them a day or so to get in the groove.  First morning breakfast is the same.  They're also short of staff and anytime servers or galley staff test positive it leaves the work for others to help out.

Though it's nothing new, been this way long as I can remember. Even longer waits on my Annual B2B Repo Cruise where besides many the Crew and some Head Waiters the change over inc Captain, Singers/Dancers, Cruise Director...

12 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

People also take longer to get seated the first night.  Waiter wants a whole table before taking orders.  Not always sure how many are coming.  

Most of the time I go in a table of two and sometimes when we are ready, no need for paper menú can be a little frustrating waiting for other tables because the waiter decided to wait for everybody’s else for him to start taking orders. Even worst when you look around and some people are already in the main course and you are waiting for the appetizer 

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't think the service itself is any slower per se, but just passengers getting into the flow of things that slow down the wait staff.

People seem to take longer to order - maybe don't remember the procedure or new to cruising or to the line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dbancroft said:

We were just on Oasis and the 2nd and 7th nights both took 2 1/2 hours for dinner. This forced us into windjammer.

So you sat there for 2.5 hours before going to the Windjammer?🤔

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

We always eat in the MDR and make sure we tell the waiter that we have to be out by a specific time.  Never a problem.  We haven't sailed post covid so not sure this will still work.

It does.  We were just on EN a couple of weeks ago and had a private excursion the evening we arrived in Bermuda.  We needed to be off about an hour after dinner and they got us through and out on time.  But, our second to last night our wait staff disappeared for a couple of long periods of time and all we can figure is that they were so short handed that they were helping with other tables.  Galley was also slow in getting items out which shows how short handed they were also.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

What's the big hurry?  After the stress of getting to the ship, boarding, waiting for luggage, unpacking, it's nice to have a leisurely dinner and conversation with our new tablemates. 

Exactly. No one can just soak things up and enjoy life anymore. Everything is a rush to go here and there. Unless there is a show or something that needs to be done, why not just enjoy your vacation?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

What's the big hurry?  After the stress of getting to the ship, boarding, waiting for luggage, unpacking, it's nice to have a leisurely dinner and conversation with our new tablemates. 

Some may want to get to shows or other activities, particularly if they have MTD.

14 hours ago, dbancroft said:

We were just on Oasis and the 2nd and 7th nights both took 2 1/2 hours for dinner. This forced us into windjammer.

I would go to the windjammer also, that's far too quick for a nice  meal.

5 hours ago, BND said:

But, our second to last night our wait staff disappeared for a couple of long periods of time and all we can figure is that they were so short handed that they were helping with other tables.  Galley was also slow in getting items out which shows how short handed they were also.

If the galley was slow getting item out, each waiter is stuck in the galley line longer trying to gather their order.   The slower the galley, the longer and slower the line of waitstaff trying to pick up items for you and guests at other tables.  Perhaps that is where they were during the long periods when you could not see them.

Just now, Starry Eyes said:

If the galley was slow getting item out, each waiter is stuck in the galley line longer trying to gather their order.   The slower the galley, the longer and slower the line of waitstaff trying to pick up items for you and guests at other tables.  Perhaps that is where they were during the long periods when you could not see them.

Someone always has to play Devil's advocate.  We were there.  Lunch service had the same problem the last couple of days and they were working more tables due to waitstaff absence.  They were very obviously short handed as we could all see.

1 hour ago, BND said:

Someone always has to play Devil's advocate.  We were there.  Lunch service had the same problem the last couple of days and they were working more tables due to waitstaff absence.  They were very obviously short handed as we could all see.

Many newbies have never been on a ship galley tour and don’t know that, unlike land restaurants, their waitstaff may have to wait in the galley to pick up orders.  I’d rather they read here why their waiters might not always be visible.

I believe they are also short handed and covering more tables.  Usually I can still see my waitstaff when they are covering other tables.  When one reappears after a period of visual absence, they are usually  pushing a cart of food.

25 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I believe they are also short handed and covering more tables.  Usually I can still see my waitstaff when they are covering other tables.  When one reappears after a period of visual absence, they are usually  pushing a cart of food.

If the wait staff are short  staffed, do they receive  more tips as they are working with more guests and tables, or is royal caribbean  holding  on to the money?

25 minutes ago, sowhat said:

If the wait staff are short  staffed, do they receive  more tips as they are working with more guests and tables, or is royal caribbean  holding  on to the money?

As far as I know, the formula is not given to customers.  I would guess they would earn more by serving more customers.  I would also think when there are fewer workers each would get a slightly larger share if the tip pool as the denominator would be smaller.  Still, I imagine they would rather be fully staffed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

As far as I know, the formula is not given to customers.  I would guess they would earn more by serving more customers.  I would also think when there are fewer workers each would get a slightly larger share if the tip pool as the denominator would be smaller.  Still, I imagine they would rather be fully staffed.

There is a formula  stated by royal caribbean  how the tips per guest  are shared  between  room steward's  and dinning room  staff.
It has been posted before but can not  locate  it.
Therefore  more guests  equals more money in  theory

This is the reason I always ask for and get a table just for myself.  I have no desire to spend a couple of hours in a dining room.  I always plan something for about an hour and a half after dinner and try to be out in an hour.   I don't want to wait for those who are always fashionably late or want to order multiple things---soup, salad, appetizer, entree, and dessert.  I order two courses (soup or appetizer and an entree) and politely ask for be served as soon as possible due to other commitments.  I think staff appreciates getting us in and out so they aren't there all night (I always do late seating).   I get the same thing to drink each night, so they usually have it waiting.  I tell them the night before if I am not coming the following evening so they know the table will be empty.   I try to make their job as easy as possible while still getting in and out as quickly as I can.   Usually I am out in an hour and the longest ever was 90 minutes when I did not care for an entree and asked for something else.  

• Like 1