Buying liquor for cabin

pistnbroke

Went to purchase Scotch  for an upcoming cruise.

thought cost of $100.00 was high enough until I saw they added an Extra $20.00 delivery fee.

Can I order from room service while on board.

$20 to deliver one bottle seems excessive when you can have 12 water bottles delivered for just over one dollar extra.

1 hour ago, zentraveler said:

On a related topic, I know we are allowed to bring a small amount of alcohol on board but it talks about wine. Can we bring a small bottle of spirits? (Or will they know if a pint is in one's luggage?)

It is against policy.  Do people do it and get away with it, yes, but there is also a risk of having it confiscated.

4 hours ago, zentraveler said:

On a related topic, I know we are allowed to bring a small amount of alcohol on board but it talks about wine. Can we bring a small bottle of spirits? (Or will they know if a pint is in one's luggage?)

Each adult can carry on 1 bottle of wine or champagne. Checked luggage goes through scanners and prohibited items can result in a required trip to the naughty room to claim your bag, less the confiscated item.

• Thanks 1

As stated you would still be charged a delivery fee but it still works out in your favor. Check to see if they are going to add sales tax to your order (they do for some ports) and if so ask for delivery on the second day to avoid that extra charge (and I've read many posts indicating that the passenger still received the order on day one).

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Check to see if they are going to add sales tax to your order (they do for some ports) and if so ask for delivery on the second day to avoid that extra charge (and I've read many posts indicating that the passenger still received the order on day one).

Or call to order from room service on embarkation day once the ship is in international waters and is no longer charging sales tax. Except out of New Orleans where you'll still be paying state sales tax unti roughly midnight when the ship reaches the Gulf from the mouth of the Mississippi River.

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Or call to order from room service on embarkation day once the ship is in international waters and is no longer charging sales tax. Except out of New Orleans where you'll still be paying state sales tax unti roughly midnight when the ship reaches the Gulf from the mouth of the Mississippi River.

That is an option but this method requires you to be in cabin to receive the order and I'd much rather be out an about. (I also don't worry about the few dollars it costs for taxes, but I know that some do.)

7 hours ago, zentraveler said:

You are not allowed to bring a "small amount of alcohol on board."  What you are allowed to bring is a small amount of non-alcoholic beverages and one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult.  The policy is very specific about that.  You can try to put a small bottle in your checked luggage, but it is highly likely that they will identify it and you will have to go to the "naughty" room to gather your checked luggage.  IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

The 1 litre bottle of Dewars at $90 for a total cost of $106.20 yields a total of 22 shots at $4.82 per shot, which is at least half the price of purchasing them individually at the bars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Then why post about waiting to get your order delivered until day 2? SMH

Read the last part of my statement "but I know that some do". I'd shake my head back but it's already too hot for that.