Cabin 11346A on Valiant Lady

drakester

Hello All,

I am so excited - I just booked an October 2023 transatlantic sailing on Valiant Lady.   I have a couple of questions...  My cabin is an XL Sea Terrace cabin.  Does anyone know anything about 11-346A ?  It is pretty far forward.  I want to make sure it has a nice balcony railing and does include a hammock.  I read that Scarlet Lady has a few that do not have hammocks.

Second, since this is a 14-day cruise (rather than a 7-night) , do I get to choose more than one night at the restaurants ?

Thanks in advance !

Debra D.

On Scarlet at least 11346 A&Z apparently do not have hammocks.  Try calling to switch!  Sailor services can confirm which rooms do/do not have hammocks & glass balconies.

The rooms with no hammocks are in the forward part of the ship- not sure which cabins have metal vs. glass balconies, but if you're in the "pointy"/tapered part of the forward, you'll likely have metal.  You can kind of guesstimate by looking at the deck plans + photos of the ship and counting decks and balconies.  I think it's kind of ridiculous that they market these as standard sea terraces, when they're... not!

At least on Scarlet, these are the no-hammock cabins- Valiant is her twin, so I'd guess it's the same:

DECK 9:
9366 A AND Z
9370 A AND Z
9374 A AND Z

DECK 10:
10354 A AND Z
10358 A AND Z
10362 A AND Z
10366 A AND Z
10370 A AND Z

DECK 11:
11286 Z
11346 A AND Z
11350 A AND Z
11354 A AND Z
11358 A AND Z
11362 A AND Z
11366 A AND Z
11368 A AND Z

DECK 12:
12338 A AND Z
12342 A AND Z
12346 A AND Z
12350 A AND Z
12354 A AND Z

Re: your other question, I've seen some reports here that you are allowed to book multiple times for longer voyages - maybe even 3x per restaurant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

At least on Scarlet, these are the no-hammock cabins- Valiant is her twin, so I'd guess it's the same:

DECK 10:
10354 A AND Z
10358 A AND Z
10362 A AND Z
10366 A AND Z
10370 A AND Z

Arh CRAP! Is this for sure no hammock? I mean have they confirmed it was not just a maintenance thing? I have a 14 night cruise with them booked and in one of the above cabins and will be hacked off to say the least if one of the nicest cabin touches is not there. 

6 hours ago, Lustate said:

Arh CRAP! Is this for sure no hammock? I mean have they confirmed it was not just a maintenance thing? I have a 14 night cruise with them booked and in one of the above cabins and will be hacked off to say the least if one of the nicest cabin touches is not there. 

This was in a FB group that I'm in that's run by travel agents, so I'd guess so.  The no hammock rooms seem to be due to either the geometry of the terrace or the structural steel (or lack thereof) over the terrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

This was in a FB group that I'm in that's run by travel agents, so I'd guess so.  The no hammock rooms seem to be due to either the geometry of the terrace or the structural steel (or lack thereof) over the terrace.

so I managed to get hold of sailor services and they confirmed the lack of hammock, smaller balcony and metal side. They have managed to move me to another XL and confirmed that does have a ham,pack, but not if it’s steel sided or glass. Will report back when we know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, _tacocat_ said:

On Scarlet at least 11346 A&Z apparently do not have hammocks.  Try calling to switch!  Sailor services can confirm which rooms do/do not have hammocks & glass balconies.

DUDE. You've provided so many answers to questions, and additional info I needed, here and (I think? maybe?) reddit, and so it's absolutely insane that I am in ... 11346 on my upcoming sailing. 

Now I have to get on the phone and listen to that song AGAIN, FOREVER.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

here and (I think? maybe?) reddit,

haha yeah that's me too.  SUPER creative with my usernames, and a big fan of palindromes.  that song is an earworm... good luck getting it out of your head tonight 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

(If my sailing is < 2 weeks out, should I have gotten a bracelet and luggage tags by now, or is that not a thing anymore?)

seems like only rockstar rooms are getting bracelets/tags in advance now (and even then, not all of them - no real pattern there).  i booked a suite ~3 weeks ahead of the voyage and still got my stuff before 🤷‍♀️

the porters have blank luggage tags, and they'll write your room number on them, so just make sure you know your room number!  bags will either beat you to your room or get there shortly after you (probably while you're getting a post-embarkation snack - the galley, pizza place, dock house and i think sun club poke bowl place and social club hot dog/snacks place are all open)

• Like 1

midship is generally regarded as smoother in terms of feeling waves, so yea you would likely feel it more forward or aft. You may notice that there's a premium booking midship as it's a more desirable location. 

Edited by scaught

@_tacocat_, I booked a couple of cabins while onboard today. They tried to give me 11346A again for my next cruise, hah! Future cruise agent at least had the list this time and admitted that it didn’t have a hammock.

I’m being haunted by this cabin. I’ll have to actually try it at some point.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

@_tacocat_, I booked a couple of cabins while onboard today. They tried to give me 11346A again for my next cruise, hah! Future cruise agent at least had the list this time and admitted that it didn’t have a hammock.

I’m being haunted by this cabin. I’ll have to actually try it at some point.

Not sure WHY they don’t call these a different category or reserve the for operational upgrades/lock it in cabins. I’d be super pissed if I thought I had a standard room and ended up with a metal balcony and/or no hammock!!!

• Like 1

So, we got onto scarlet lady and can confirm, the XL furthest forward on the Z (starboard) side of the ship on deck 10 is 10358. It has a partial metal and glass side but has a hammock.  It’s also so far forward, you look back and up at the bridge. 

825B879B-BB8B-4DB7-BC2E-DFED6C12BEEB.jpeg

517652D0-68C2-49B4-B4B9-FED545D4B2AD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, FRMinBG said:

I am looking to book a XL Sea Terrace for a VV Mediterranean cruise.  Does the forward placement of the cabins Increase the awareness of the ship rolling in any rough waters?

The short answer is: not so much.  Longitudinal stability (front to back) is barely even studied in large ships as it's 100-110 times greater than transverse stability (side to side).  

The long answer is: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Add 10346A to the list, maybe. I just got an email about a future sailing that this cabin doesn’t have a hammock, and a $50 OBC. (It’s funny, I booked this one onboard with the sales team that had “the list” and 10346A wasn’t on it then.) 

Hammock shenanigans continue 

On 9/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, Don Kehote said:

The short answer is: not so much.  Longitudinal stability (front to back) is barely even studied in large ships as it's 100-110 times greater than transverse stability (side to side).  

The long answer is: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

All I can say that when on a ship with some moderate seas and going to some areas way forward, there was way more motion and I had to move back to midships.  Just sayin.

Thank you, glad I found this thread.  I had a room with no hammock.  I would have been disappointed if I got onboard and there was no hammock. You think the sales rep would have given me the heads up.  

There should be a sticker for VV cabins like other cruise lines. 

• Like 1

They need to be more clear about a lot of things.  We were initially placed in an "ambulatory accessible" cabin when I asked for "accessible."  Fortunately, we were able to see our cabin number on line, and the site indicated that it was NOT accessible.  A call to VV resulted in them not being able to answer specific questions about the features, but I did let them know how upset I'd be if we flew in to take the cruise only to find that the cabin didn't meet our needs!  They switched us to fully accessible.  

I realize that the issue is different, but the cabins should be labeled so that you KNOW specifically what you are getting if it is anything other than the standard.  A balcony cabin on VV is advertised with a hammock. If, for any reason, the room doesn't have a hammock, that should be indicated in advance.

• Like 2

Well, VV do tell you you do not have a cabin with a hammock a few days before departure and generally offer you a very small amount of on board spend credit to compensate. 

Sadly I got this email again yesterday, so having been in a no hammock cabin, called virgin to move in august, was told the new one did have a hammock, i am now waiting to see if this is the case or not. 

I think it might be time for a VV to step up and just do a walk around between sailings and inform what is 100% accurate. It helps sailors, sales and the poor people on the customer lines to know the score. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 5:17 PM, Lustate said:

They have managed to move me to another XL and confirmed that does have a ham,pack, but not if it’s steel sided or glass. Will report back when we know. 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, AdoraBelle said:

As of last week, 10346A DOES have a hammock. So I got free $50 OBC I guess. 

Any further thoughts? Should I switch? Looks like even with partial glass, you will see no water unless standing at the balcony. No view from the bed or the chairs, or the hammock.

I am in 10358A on the Scarlet Lady. 

This thread has been most helpful.  I moved my cabin as it is one of those listed below with no hammock. VV customer service pointed me to the pictures on the website assuring me that evidences there is a hammock.  Still, CruiseCritic insight >> VV customer service.  Thanks all. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, _tacocat_ said:

The rooms with no hammocks are in the forward part of the ship- not sure which cabins have metal vs. glass balconies, but if you're in the "pointy"/tapered part of the forward, you'll likely have metal.  You can kind of guesstimate by looking at the deck plans + photos of the ship and counting decks and balconies.  I think it's kind of ridiculous that they market these as standard sea terraces, when they're... not!

DECK 9:
9366 A AND Z
9370 A AND Z
9374 A AND Z

DECK 10:
10354 A AND Z
10358 A AND Z
10362 A AND Z
10366 A AND Z
10370 A AND Z

DECK 11:
11286 Z
11346 A AND Z
11350 A AND Z
11354 A AND Z
11358 A AND Z
11362 A AND Z
11366 A AND Z
11368 A AND Z

DECK 12:
12338 A AND Z
12342 A AND Z
12346 A AND Z
12350 A AND Z
12354 A AND Z

Re: your other question, I've seen some reports here that you are allowed to book multiple times for longer voyages - maybe even 3x per restaurant?

Is there a list like this for valiant lady?