Restaurants close to Holiday Inn Express, Southampton West

45 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

There is a good Indian about 10 minutes walk away on the High Street. I think it's called Coriander Lounge.

Ray  is thinking of the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue,  in the centre of the city by Dock Gate 8.

But sorry to say, HI Express Southampton West isn't a good location - it's on the city's western boundary - suitable for those with a car because it's handy for the motorway, but sorely lacking in local services.

The only eatery in walking distance is the Walnut Tree pub, but the good news is that it's just across HI Express' parking lot, a 5-minute walk.

We've eaten there just the once, it's OK.

It's a family pub, geared to those with kids & not the sort of place for a romantic dinner or a quiet drink. Broad menu, very competitive pricing, the food is very acceptable but don't expect freshly-prepared gourmet food or a long wine list.

OK for one night, and probably not worth a 5 mile taxi ride to try the restaurants in the city centre or a 20+ minute walk to the Horns Inn or the Balmoral Beefeater pub..

Don't trust the website's  "food served til 10pm" - like most pubs & restaurants that means they take food orders til 8.30 or 9pm. 

https://www.farmhouseinns.co.uk/pubs/hampshire/walnut-tree-farm/?utm_source=g_places&utm_medium=locations&utm_campaign=

JB 🙂

If you're able to locate West Quay shopoing centre - very near to the port - in the upper section there's lots of eating places and next to the shopping centre there is a separate complex full of restaurants

Hope that helps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ray  is thinking of the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue,  in the centre of the city by Dock Gate 8.

But sorry to say, HI Express Southampton West isn't a good location - it's on the city's western boundary - suitable for those with a car because it's handy for the motorway, but sorely lacking in local services.

The only eatery in walking distance is the Walnut Tree pub, but the good news is that it's just across HI Express' parking lot, a 5-minute walk.

We've eaten there just the once, it's OK.

It's a family pub, geared to those with kids & not the sort of place for a romantic dinner or a quiet drink. Broad menu, very competitive pricing, the food is very acceptable but don't expect freshly-prepared gourmet food or a long wine list.

OK for one night, and probably not worth a 5 mile taxi ride to try the restaurants in the city centre or a 20+ minute walk to the Horns Inn or the Balmoral Beefeater pub..

Don't trust the website's  "food served til 10pm" - like most pubs & restaurants that means they take food orders til 8.30 or 9pm. 

https://www.farmhouseinns.co.uk/pubs/hampshire/walnut-tree-farm/?utm_source=g_places&utm_medium=locations&utm_campaign=

JB 🙂

Thanks for the good advice , we only want a standard meal as we will have been travelling a few hours by the time we arrive , 

15 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Thanks for the good advice , we only want a standard meal as we will have been travelling a few hours by the time we arrive , 

I kinda figured that. 

It won't be a highlight of your vacation, but it'll do the job and won't require a lot of fuss or money. 🙂

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah1974 said:

If you're able to locate West Quay shopoing centre - very near to the port - in the upper section there's lots of eating places and next to the shopping centre there is a separate complex full of restaurants

Hope that helps

Thanks ,wanted to avoid going in to Southampton if we could ,but at least its an option 👍 

• Like 1

I've decided to go to Southampton 2 nights early.

8/31: get off bus at 1600 (hopefully) & pick up liquids i couldn't pack st ASDA. Walk to dinner staying at Moxy as its inexpensive & you say there's plenty of restaurants nearby?

9/1: No idea what to do but thinking of going to DMB for dinner.

9/2: board. 

Question is: is a day in Salisbury a better option or just stick to Southampton as it's only a day. Been to Bath & Stonehenge, spent a month in London a decade ago

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

8/31: get off bus at 1600 (hopefully) & pick up liquids i couldn't pack st ASDA. Walk to dinner staying at Moxy as its inexpensive & you say there's plenty of restaurants nearby?

Question is: is a day in Salisbury a better option or just stick to Southampton as it's only a day. Been to Bath & Stonehenge, spent a month in London a decade ago

Southampton's got enough to interest a visitor for a day - Tudor Merchant's House & Garden, Sea City Museum (Titanic) & adjacent art gallery, Solent Sky aircraft museum (aircraft with local connection like the Spitfire, design, built & first flown in Southampton and flying boats, which flew from Southampton Water)), small archaeological museum in God's Tower

But whether to stay in Southampton for that full day or visit Salisbury  (or Winchester or Portsmouth or Beaulieu or Osborne House or half a dozen other places) is something you can decide on-the-day. No pre-booking needed, so see how your energy levels & mood & the weather etc take you..

Yes, Dancing Man Brewery is fine for a meal, their Rag & Bone is a favourite of mine.

Historic 14th Century stone-built wool-store, has an interesting history of many uses & sympathetically converted to a pub / micro-brewery a few years back.

Other pubs & eateries in the area too.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:47 PM, Ombud said:

Tank museum in Dorchester is a great option if you a WW buff.  Even if not the size of some of those tanks is amazing up close.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Tank museum in Dorchester is a great option if you a WW buff.  Even if not the size of some of those tanks is amazing up close.  

On 8/22/2022 at 3:47 AM, Ombud said:

Bovington Tank Museum (it's huge, probably the best in Europe) is about 50 miles from Southampton, about an hour & a quarter by road. But there are long-term roadworks at Ringwood which can cause a long delay depending on time of day..

Alternatively by hourly train to Wool, then 2 mile taxi ride.  No taxi rank at the tank museum so arrange with driver to come back for you at an agreed time.

Clouds Hill, Lawrence of Arabia's tiny retreat in the i930's is a couple of miles  from the tank museum (he spent some time at Bovington Camp), and died in an accident between the two on his Brough Superior motorbike https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/clouds-hill

https://tankmuseum.org/

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-roads/south-east/a31-ringwood-road-widening/

JB 🙂

• Like 2