Just off the Odyssey 8/14 some observations

We just returned from our wonderful cruise on the Odyssey of the Seas, 8/7-8/14.  It was our first post-COVID cruise and we were happy to be back!  Spent three days in Rome prior to the cruise and visited the ports of Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos and Naples.  Some observations:

Took the Shared Shuttle from Rome to the port.  Our check in time was 1:30 but we needed to vacate our Airbnb by 10, so the shuttle picked us up at 10:30.  After picking up another family, we arrived at the port by 11:30. We had fully intended to wait for our boarding time but we were told to check In immediately.  We were on the ship by noon!

We did Rapid Test and Trace for our pre-cruise COVID testing and they barely looking at it.  We did not have to present our vaccination cards either.

The ship was well-maintained and quite impressive.  Staff was friendly and helpful.  We had two balcony connecting rooms for ourselves and our two adult children.

We purchased the three night specialty dining package and we’re glad we did. The food in the main dining room was not good and I’m being kind.  After eating two nights there, we elected to go to Giovanni’s Wine Bar and get pizzas and charcuterie instead.  The other four nights we ate at Wonderland, Izumi, Chops and in port at Santorini.

If anyone has any questions, about the cruise, ports, transfers, etc., I’d be happy to answer them.  Our children are adults so I don’t have any insight into activities for younger children.

• Like 4

We sailed on Odyssey in Feb/March in the Caribbean and really enjoyed it. We had great food in the MDR. I'm sorry you had a different experience. We really enjoyed breakfast from Cafe 270 and then eating in the 270 venue. It was always quiet and calm. Not nearly as loud or chaotic as WJ.

What was your favorite port and why?

Absolutely loved Santorini.  We were there until 10:30pm so we got to see the amazing sunset over the Caldera from a lovely restaurant.  Also, visited Anhydrous winery and it was wonderful.  We got the wine and cheese pairing and the wine was surprisingly good and the staff very knowledgeable.  The setting is also lovely.  We also loved the cobblestone streets and the beautiful vistas. We would love to spend more time there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, springgrl said:

We did Rapid Test and Trace for our pre-cruise COVID testing and they barely looking at it.  We did not have to present our vaccination cards either.

——————————————————

where did you take your Rapid Test and the cost?

We took our Rapid Test and Trace at our Airbnb with our iPads (you can use your phone as well).  You can use any approved test; we used the Abbott Binax, purchased at Walmart. $20/person, you pre-register for a time and date, so easy!

9 hours ago, dlclarkee said:

what did you do in Mykonos they just canceled my excursion to rhenia island on 9/15

We did not schedule an excursion in Mykonos. After getting off the tender, we shopped in the cute little alleyways of the town and then went to the Little Venice area and sat on the patio of Negrita and had drinks.  There are a number bars/restaurants right on the water in that area and it is quite relaxing and scenic.  We later ate a souvlaki lunch at Nicko’s Tavern and then took a walk to the windmills. After pretty active days in Santorini and Kusadasi, it was perfect for us.

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Which restaurant in Santorini ? Would love a recommendation.

Also, how was the line to the cable car after dinner ?  and about what time was that?

Thx so much.

We went to Onar Restaurant.  We emailed them for a reservation and they said if we promised to order a bottle of wine for dinner they would give us a front row balcony seat for sunset.  We said we would and got a fantastic balcony table to witness the most beautiful sunset we have ever seen. The food was wonderful too!

• Thanks 1

Also, we got to the cable car around 9 pm.  There was about a 45 min wait.  However, we noticed there were two crew members from RCL checking out the line.  I believe they were monitoring the wait to insure the passengers who arrived at a reasonable time  for the cable car made it onto the ship.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, springgrl said:

We went to Onar Restaurant.  We emailed them for a reservation and they said if we promised to order a bottle of wine for dinner they would give us a front row balcony seat for sunset.  We said we would and got a fantastic balcony table to witness the most beautiful sunset we have ever seen. The food was wonderful too!

What a recommendation!  Thx so much !

Regarding Santorini and getting off the ship.   Those who have trips booked through RcCl are let off at a port so they can catch their arranged busses, etc.   then the rest of the ships continues to the old port. Near the cable car.    Is this what was done on your cruise?  Just want to clarify some of the things I have read….thx

On 8/22/2022 at 11:09 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

Regarding Santorini and getting off the ship.   Those who have trips booked through RcCl are let off at a port so they can catch their arranged busses, etc.   then the rest of the ships continues to the old port. Near the cable car.    Is this what was done on your cruise?  Just want to clarify some of the things I have read….thx

Those who had bore excursions through RCI were on the first tenders and did not have to wait in line for tender tickets.  From what I understood, all the tenders went to the port near the cable car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, springgrl said:

We purchased the three night specialty dining package and we’re glad we did. The food in the main dining room was not good and I’m being kind.  After eating two nights there, we elected to go to Giovanni’s Wine Bar and get pizzas and charcuterie instead.  The other four nights we ate at Wonderland, Izumi, Chops and in port at Santorini.

I just purchased the 3 night for our March 23 cruise.  Question on the courtesy reservation they make for you to start.  I select the 2nd night, cruising, 8:30pm.  Are we able to specify the restaurant?  I didn't see that option so wasn't sure if that happened later.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, schmeed said:

I just purchased the 3 night for our March 23 cruise.  Question on the courtesy reservation they make for you to start.  I select the 2nd night, cruising, 8:30pm.  Are we able to specify the restaurant?  I didn't see that option so wasn't sure if that happened later.

I selected the same option as you did and could not select the restaurant.  However, when we boarded, I went straight to Chops (you can go to any of the specialty restaurants) and asked where my reservation for night 2 was.  They never made any reservation for us, however, we were able to make reservations for night 2 and the two other evenings we selected.  Everything was available so I would say not to worry.  If a reservation was made for you, you can easily change it as well.  Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zebra said:

We have a private excursion booked on Santorini and wondered how long before we should plan to tender??

It would depend how early your excursion is.  The first tenders were taken up by passengers who had booked shore excursions through RCCL.  You have to wait in line early in the morning to get a tender ticket which will have a number.  We were tender 6 and we were probably called about a half hour after the first tender.  They have quite a few tenders and they are continually going so it would depend on where your tour is meeting you.  You are dropped off close to the cable cars.

18 hours ago, FrannyK said:

I have the 3 night dining package.  Is the charcuterie an extra charge?

Yes, if you are at the wine bar area of Giovanni’s.  If you are dining in Giovanni’s restaurant, I believe it’s included.