Another Passport Question.........

klfhngr

22 minutes ago, polmcs said:

I applied for my first US passport in June (had to go to a post office in person as it was my first US passport) and I had my passport in hand within 5 weeks, OK, I paid for the expedited service and priority shipping, so that helped a little. A renewal should be quicker.

It's not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, polmcs said:

I applied for my first US passport in June (had to go to a post office in person as it was my first US passport) and I had my passport in hand within 5 weeks, OK, I paid for the expedited service and priority shipping, so that helped a little. A renewal should be quicker.

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Besides the extra expense (and suspense), the OP's father-in-law has a passport that will be good for the currently scheduled cruise.  Why take the chance of a hiccup during the process and not having the passport in time to cruise?

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, prmssk said:

Naturalization papers cannot be used in place of a passport so I'm not sure it is worth having him dig them out.  The birth certificate alternative to a passport for certain closed loop US cruises only applies to US born citizens.

This depends on the destination.  The point is, with a closed loop cruise from the US, you need documentation of citizenship.  A birth certificate from a US hospital proves this, so does the passport, and so do the naturalization papers.  EM

• Like 1

Just my own experience.

Like OP's dad, I'm also a naturalized citizen, went on the 10 day (Mar 25 to Apr 4, 2022) sea of Cortez cruise, closed loop leaving from LA (San Pedro to be exact). My passport was going to expire on June 2, 2022. I didn't run into any problem with my passport. I have since renewed it, good for another 10 years.

Edited by private92656
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, polmcs said:

Renewal was bit quicker for me!

Expedited Renewal including sending express one day and paying for same for return mailed on Thursday, April 28.  Had new passport exactly 27 days later.   

Took 7 more weeks after new passport sent for old passport to be returned.