Iona black tie nights!

gteach

When there is a black tie night, will the large majority of people dress up? 

Do you have to go to one of the fancier restaurants such as The Chefs Table or can you go to others such as The Olive Grove or even the buffet? 

We’d love to dress up however we don’t fancy spending much extra on food / my partner is fussy!!

Just now, gteach said:

Do you have to go to one of the fancier restaurants such as The Chefs Table or can you go to others such as The Olive Grove or even the buffet? 

We’d love to dress up however we don’t fancy spending much extra on food / my partner is fussy!!

You do not need to do anything different on Celebration night (black tie) use the standard restaurants, no need to pay for a speciality restaurant if you do not want to. Many people dress up albeit it is not compulsory. 

When we were on Iona in May, the majority of people were ‘dressed up’ on celebration night. We ate in one of the main (included) dining rooms, us ladies in our long sparkly dresses & the men in suits/dinner jackets, and we didn’t feel overdressed at all.

We didn’t book the chefs table as we’d heard it was an area of the buffet & we didn’t know if it would feel ‘dressy’ 

1 hour ago, gteach said:

In my experience Formal/black tie night almost everyone dressed up.

Certain bars like the Crows nest and all the restaurants except the Buffet expect you to be dressed while you are in there.

Usually it is men who are refused entry if you don't have dress shoes a shirt and tie plus suit or trousers and tuxedo.

Pleasantly surprised to see most most people, from youngsters to the elderly, made an effort to dress up on our recent Britannia cruise. 

It's not compulsory, but as it's a feature of P and O cruises most people who book with them seem to like the idea.  

1 hour ago, gteach said:

Ions has one 'formal' night a week with the MDR's, Epicurian and Sindu having a formal dress code. The Crows Nest has a formal code on those nights and I imagine the bar in Sindu. The Captains table is in the Beach House area of the buffet but I never checked the dress code there. Everywhere else is evening casual.

On Iona last year we dressed formally and booked the Chefs Table.  How disapointed I felt when we was placed in the buffet restaurant.  Next cruise we shall probably book a speciality restaurant to at least feel like we have dreesed for a reason!

• Like 1