Getting to Acadia post IE

jennygirlmt

My husband and I are leaving Oct 16th.  My one desire is to hike 5-6 miles in Acadia.  The Island Explorer would have been ideal for this, but alas, it stops running the week before.  I do not want to take a tour because we don't want to ride a bus through the park. I got excited thinking I could walk to the park, but that seems to just be some basic trails near the port that are on park land. I've tried looking into Uber but can't get a clear idea on whether they are allowed to drive into the park, whether they will be difficult getting a return ride, etc.

Has anyone gotten to the park to explore on your own without a car or the Island Buses or a Tour operator? 

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

You are really at the end of the season. To enter the park, you need a permit, so Uber could probably drop you off somewhere nearby, but not sure it's where you want to be.

I had no idea mid October would be the end of the season, I thought that was the most popular time! I'm so bummed. 

Edited by jennygirlmt
More words

• 3 weeks later...

We're going even later than you - will be there Nov 2! And of course most of the Acadia Visitor Centers, etc, close October 31. You'd think with close to 5000 people coming in, they'd stay open for the extra two days, but I guess they just have to pick a date and stick to it.

If I'm reading the Acadia National Park website correctly, ride share drivers can do pick ups and drop offs, but cannot provide tours. So it sounds like they'd be okay for what you're looking for?

Interested to see what other suggestions you get - I've seen other people recommend renting an Acadia GEM (electric vehicle) or hiring AtYourService on other threads, but they both seem a bit high for me so I'm still trying to explore options.

10 hours ago, kateeov said:

We're going even later than you - will be there Nov 2! And of course most of the Acadia Visitor Centers, etc, close October 31. You'd think with close to 5000 people coming in, they'd stay open for the extra two days, but I guess they just have to pick a date and stick to it.

If I'm reading the Acadia National Park website correctly, ride share drivers can do pick ups and drop offs, but cannot provide tours. So it sounds like they'd be okay for what you're looking for?

Interested to see what other suggestions you get - I've seen other people recommend renting an Acadia GEM (electric vehicle) or hiring AtYourService on other threads, but they both seem a bit high for me so I'm still trying to explore options.

IMHO, I'd stay on the ship.

While some hotels have been staying open until Thanksgiving, you will find not much else is open in town after Columbus Day.