Marella COVID Test Timing Query

Hi,

We are struggling to find out when we can take our pre-departure COVID Lateral Flow test. The Tui/Marella general information suggests the day before but I have seen some posts on Marella related forums where there is a suggestion it must be after 9pm the day before departure.

Our anxiety is that we fly at 6am the following morning which means airport check in around 4am. If we can only take the test after 9pm that doesn’t seem to leave time for the test to be reviewed and a result uploaded for us to use as evidence of negative test, assuming this would be done by a person rather than some automated process based on result submitted.

Does anyone have information on the timing of tests in advance of arrival at the airport for the departing flight?. For our previous cruise with another cruise line it had to be within 24 hours of cruise departure (not flight) so if we could apply that principle for Marella then we could test anytime after 4am the day before.

Any reply with reference to Tui or Marella booking conditions would be appreciated because we can’t find anything that suggests it has to be after 9pm the day before.

Del

There was similar confusion on the P&O board when they introduced day before boarding LFT tesys. The wording was too ambiguous and many thought it meant within 24 hours of when you boarded the ship. P&O had to clarify that it was any time in the day before you boarded.

From the Marella site today

• Take 1 pre-boarding antigen (rapid flow) test, can be purchased through Chronomics or Randox and must be taken before travelling to the airport, any time on the day before you’re due to fly. Guests aged 0-2 are exempt from testing. 

51 minutes ago, Delbankin said:

assuming this would be done by a person rather than some automated process based on result submitted.

Big assumption. The reality is the opposite. It’s all computer scanned, hence why Chronomics given you the result within seconds of upload, and Randox and Chequp within minutes.

Only if there is a problem does a human get involved.

Tui must have changed the testing time, which is probably why different people give different answers. We sailed first week of March this year, and at that time Tui stated the test should be done after 9pm the day before flying. We also worried about the timing, as it was our first encounter with the procedure.

If its now anytime the day before, that's a benefit, but as you fly on the same plane as non-tested people, still a bit pointless from some respects.

On 8/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, howmuch! said:

[b]If its now anytime the day before, that's a benefit, but as you fly on the same plane as non-tested people, still a bit pointless from some respects.[/b]

Exactly this H

Unless i,m missing something there no reason why somebody can take their test 2,3,or 4 days before flying but register it the day before(if negative obviously)🤔

2 hours ago, Mike.S said:

It's about time Marella brought there testing requirements in line with the majority of cruise lines

I would agree.  Their current policy is out of step not only with the other cruise lines but also with all the other holidays they sell.  The test is now pointless as you are then getting on a plane with untested people flying with the same company.

3 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

I'm off to the Marella Discovery in 35 days time. And I for 1 will be wearing a mask at the airport and on the plane and until we get on the ship. It is bloody daft for us cruise people to have a test and others on the plane not to have one.

I couldn’t agree more. Some friends and I were discussing this very topic, paying £13.50 for the test and then possibly contracting covid from the person next to you on the flight.

I'm confused about the testing requirements. Does it have to be a supervised test with a certificate, and does it have to be done the day before. If so, we can't have a supervised test the day before as it is a Sunday!

1 minute ago, hansi said:

I'm confused about the testing requirements. Does it have to be a supervised test with a certificate, and does it have to be done the day before. If so, we can't have a supervised test the day before as it is a Sunday!

Any time in the day before you board the ship.  The Chronomics and Randox tests that TUI suggest are unsupervised lateral flow tests. I bought the Fit to Fly test from Randox as i have used them before. Basically you download the Certifly App and register your details and it scans your passport as part of the process. Then on the day before fly do your test with their test kit and open the App which guides you through the process. On completion your Fit to Fly certificate is emailed to you, in my case last time it was an hour later but I did do the test at 6am

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hansi said:

We have used Chronomics a few times and it’s pretty slick to be fair. you order the test kits online and they are delivered three to seven days before your trip. On the day that you need to do your test you register onto the Chronomics website/app. Each kit has a unique number allotted to it. There is a comprehensive step by step instruction leaflet enclosed with the kit.

When the test is completed you take a picture of your negative result (hopefully) and upload it to the Chronomics site/app, Usually within minutes you will receive an email with your negative certification which you can print out if you wish. No supervision required at all.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Brummijam
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, oscarshep said:

According to posts on Facebook, Marella website now stating that no testing required for Palma sailings from 1st October. Not checked myself yet but hopefully reliable information.

So I read the table of entry requirements on the Marella website and it clearly states that the fully vaccinated do not need to do pre flight testing for mainland Spain. I believe this is all Spain apart from the Canaries. It was updated on 9th September. Happy to get confirmation from others interpreting from their own reading of the website.

37 minutes ago, oscarshep said:

So I read the table of entry requirements on the Marella website and it clearly states that the fully vaccinated do not need to do pre flight testing for mainland Spain. I believe this is all Spain apart from the Canaries. It was updated on 9th September. Happy to get confirmation from others interpreting from their own reading of the website.

At the moment you do still need to have a test for a cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying to Palma on 11th October for 7 night cruise and thought we no longer needed an antigen test but the tui call centre says we do.  Have written to Tui but no response.  Anyone have any idea about what is needed?