New Princess Cruiser and Solo-what about dining

sambamama

I booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Emerald Princess leaving Long Beach January 17.  I've never sailed on Princess- I am a 4 star HAL Mariner.  I've also sailed NCL, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean, but none of those in a long time.  I always book late seating at a table of 6 or 8 on HAL.  Is there no fixed seating at all on Princess?  So there is no way to get the same waiter night after night?  I am somewhat picky, so I like having the same waiter, and not having to inflict my pickiness on a new waiter every night, and I like having lemons on the table for my water every night.  I also don't want to eat dinner alone-I eat dinner alone the rest of the year, so I don't want to eat dinner alone.  I don't mind eating breakfast or lunch alone.  I'd prefer eating with the same people night after night, and getting to know them-is this not possible on Princess at all now? Is there a way to have a standing table for 8 pm?  Or is there a table set up for solo diners?  I know absolutely nothing about Princess except that the pasta is supposed to be excellent.  I booked because the prices on HAL for a solo were crazy high-everything was double priced, and not good value, either! But I had no idea they did not have fixed dining at all anymore. Is there no workaround at all?  They still have it on HAL-although it is less popular, there are some of us who still prefer it. 

With the DINE MY WAY system, you can put in for the same table every night.  It is just not the same set early or late seating time.

The system might still need a bit of work.  It might take some effort, and then double checking your reservations for each night, once you board on embarkation day.

Unless you are linked with other cruisers who are also booking the same time, server, table each night, then you might need to request a table for two.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sambamama said:

I booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Emerald Princess leaving Long Beach January 17.  

Just want to point out that Princess sails from San Pedro, not Long Beach.

You will have to request the same time each evening in the same DR on the Dine My Way program. Believe you have to wait until final payment to do this. Someone else can comment on this point. I would then speak with the head waiter once on board to discuss your preferences so you both have an understanding.

Edited by skynight

I too am a solo traveler but I do not like a fixed dinner time or table but I just walk into the dining room when I am ready to dine and say "I would l like to share a table" and it happens and the conversations are always pleasant.

• Like 1

Just off discovery.  Solo.   I went to the non reservation MDR. And after my first night they set me up with a reservation every night same table same staff.  I never asked them to do it.  They just did it.   My dinner time was perfect 6pm for shows and other activities.   
had a very nice family in the table next to me and it turned out to be a great week of dinners with my new friends.     
I’m also a very picky eater.  And one night I forgot to ask for a certain thing on my plate and my waiter shocked me when I ordered.   He brought my plate just the way I liked it.  Was very surprised.   

• Like 3

I usually cruise alone and prefer to have breakfast alone and dinner with a group.  One thing I’ve done is for the first meals introduce myself to the supervisor (green jacket) and ask him if it’s possible to be seated with the same servers.  They’ve usually been able to accommodate me.  Often to the point that when I walk in the supervisor will give the host “my” table number.

Think of it as a NCL "freestyle" program.  

If you are in Club Class dining, you don't have to worry about it.  They take care of the Club Class guests as walk-ins.  We usually have the same table and wait staff.

If the Club Class is sold out and I am staying in lower category cabin, that means I have to go to the Main Dining Rooms.  Long before the cruise, I will log into the Princess website and make dinner reservations for each night.  I do not recall if there is an option for "I'd like to share a table."  There used to be, but I simply don't recall now.  Making reservations for the same dining room and the same time increases the chances of you getting the same table/wait staff each evening.

You will select your dining room when you make reservations.  Select the same dining room every night.  The menus are all the same, and each dining room is pretty much the same.  The decor might vary a bit, but it is not like the Celebrity Edge was originally, with each dining room having its own menu selections.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:55 PM, Ptroxx said:

Just off discovery.  Solo.   I went to the non reservation MDR. And after my first night they set me up with a reservation every night same table same staff.  I never asked them to do it.  They just did it.   My dinner time was perfect 6pm for shows and other activities.   
had a very nice family in the table next to me and it turned out to be a great week of dinners with my new friends.     
I’m also a very picky eater.  And one night I forgot to ask for a certain thing on my plate and my waiter shocked me when I ordered.   He brought my plate just the way I liked it.  Was very surprised.   

Which was the non-res DR, please?  (Guess is Deck 5 Mid-ship)

Edited by Steelers36

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Which was the non-res DR, please?  (Guess is Deck 5 Mid-ship)

The Juneau MDR.  That one is for non reservation and reservations.  
my table was either 74 or 71. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

The Juneau MDR.  That one is for non reservation and reservations.  
my table was either 74 or 71. 

And so Deck 5 it was.  I figured this might be the case since it seems the pattern is that the Deck 5 DR is not pre-released in DMW until the voyage begins.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And so Deck 5 it was.  I figured this might be the case since it seems the pattern is that the Deck 5 DR is not pre-released in DMW until the voyage begins.

Wish I could remember.   I booked 2 weeks before cruise.  And the only dinner times available were 845 and I don’t want that.     But I think your right.  That’s why I went to that DR.   Walked right I. No wait my first night at like 6pm.  And they put me down for the same time every night.  
same waiter and asstn same people next to me in my 2 top every night in a 4 top.   
turned out to be great dinner neighbors.  Family of 4.   

• Like 1