Nieuw Amsterdam veranda Q

brovol

About to book side by side veranda cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  TA has given a few options; VE category in the aft of deck 8 (lido deck above), or VD in the aft on deck 6.  The VD's are $40 more per person (four of us total), and TA said that the VE cabins have a tub and shower, buy the VD's have just a shower.  I figured that all the veranda cabins had the same bathroom layout.  Am I getting good information from my TA?   

Any insight from those here in the know? 

There are two categories of verandahs on each deck that are classified as aft. Those nearest the elevators all have tub/shower combos and are the higher category. Some, but not all, of the verandahs on Decks 4, 5 and 6 that are closer to the stern do have just showers. The Deck 6 VDs marked with an asterisk have just showers. Those without the asterisk have tub/shower combos. Here is the Deck 6 diagram.

image.png.849696b80f46db15aabc69ca90ffea4d.png

You can see photos of such a cabin at https://halfacts.com/signature-class/5171-eurodam/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you are all big bath people, I would go with deck 6 to have the showers and NOT be below the aft Lido pool area!!   I think you will be happy with your choice to go with two side by side cabins.  Two bathrooms!!  

😁

Deck 6 is my go-to deck on the Nieuw Amsterdam....not too low and not too high!

Let us know which cabin you decide on!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Unless you are all big bath people, I would go with deck 6 to have the showers and NOT be below the aft Lido pool area!!   I think you will be happy with your choice to go with two side by side cabins.  Two bathrooms!!  

😁

~Nancy

Followed your advice. Got cabins 6145 and 6149.  I was thinking the same thing with deck six being right in the middle of everything. I haven't seen any pictures though of the veranda cabins with a shower only. Is it a decent shower, with it regular shower door? Or is it a curtain? I assume otherwise the rooms are identical?

Thank you for your input.

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

😁

~Nancy

ditto love deck 6 on all HAL ships as I like to sandwhich myself between 2 cabin decks which I believe gives you a nice, quiet cruise, perfect place.

14 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Please see my post above - #2.

I just reread your post. Think I understand now. So, because we have 6145 and 6149, if I'm understanding correctly we will have a tub/shower combo, because it does not have an asterisk.  I noticed the picture and link you posted were from the Eurodam, as opposed to the Nieuw Amsterdam, which I booked. I'm assuming it's exactly the same on both?

Again, thank you for the info. Very helpful.

Recently booked an Aft VD on deck 6 to Alaska on the NA and am excited about the trip and the cabin.  Our travel agent, who is a friend, highly recomended this cabin.  The balcony seems a little small, 46 square feet.  Any thoughts on the size of the balcony?  I see from above post that deck 6 is recommended.

Hi @ladydirn1956 and welcome to Cruise Critic!   On Halfacts.com I found one picture of an aft on deck 6 on Eurodam, which is a sister ship to Nieuw Amsterdam, so the same layout.  The picture gives a partial peak at the veranda so you can see the depth.  On deck 7 they should be the same so some better pictures in that link.  I think the verandas on this class of ship are actually pretty good sized...a bit larger than the Pinnacle class.

6138 – Eurodam | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

7083 – Nieuw Amsterdam V | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

When is your cruise?  I'll be on NA in late September this year.....soon!!!

~Nancy

Not cruising until the end of next May and we have cabin 6177 and we are really excited.  First time to Alaska so I a gathering as much information as possible.  Our travel agent has been there 3 times and is a wealth of information.   As far as the verandas, they don't seem much larger than the other ones on the sides of the ship but our view is going to be incredible.  I found a video of the wake coming off the propellers and the view of both the port and starboard side at the same time.Looks amazing.