Best excursions on Scenic Diamond Bordeaux Cruise and general advice

Mhdelaware

We are going on our first river cruise on the Scenic Diamond in one week. If any one has any suggestions for best excursions at the different ports--St. Emillion, Blaye, Cadillac, Medoc and any general tips or advice please share. We are three generations of women traveling together, 26, 57, and 80 years old. thanks

The only way to decide what was 'the best' excursion is to do them all, and that would mean doing the cruise four times as there are up to four excursions to choose from at the same time.

I don't think anyone on the cruise we left yesterday was disappointed with what they picked; all the excursions pleased the people who went on them - except for the few cyclists who found their excursion was too much work.

There are excursions to match many tastes., for instance if you visit Remy Martin in Cognac you couldn't take the walking tour of Bourg. Remy Martin trip leaves at 08:15 and returns at 17:00 - it's a long coach journey but Remy Martin is a top Cognac distillery. A must for Cognac lovers, though the full day and coaching may put some off. But the vast majority of the passengers went on it. 

The walking tour leaves at 10:00 and returns at 12:00, visiting the old town or Bourg, its Citadel and carriage museum and the historic  surprise kept to the end. (I'll keep it a surprise so as not to spoil it for future cruisers.)

Remy Martin is Mrs P's favourite brandy, but we'd been before in the past and she didn't fancy the coach ride.

Or how does one compare a visit to the seaside town of Arcachon, vs hiking up the largest sand dune in Europe, Dune de Pylat vs a tram ride to Cite du Vin, the innovative and immersive wine museum. No one was disappointed with their choice but each catered to different interests.

The solution is to book the excursions you fancy the most, then listen to the tour manager's talk the evening before and swap excursion if you want then, and book the same cruise again so you can go on the other excursions. (I'm not being flippant, we've done this.)

• Like 1

Comparing excursions on Bordeaux and Douro itineraries, Scenic stands head and shoulders above other lines for the range of non-wine-oriented choices.  Even though I love wine, I think I would get tired of some other lines' all-wine-all-the-time approach on these cruises.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Comparing excursions on Bordeaux and Douro itineraries, Scenic stands head and shoulders above other lines for the range of non-wine-oriented choices.  Even though I love wine, I think I would get tired of some other lines' all-wine-all-the-time approach on these cruises.

We will have to disagree on this but I'm open to pulling a cork or two and discussing it further.🍷🍷😀

• Haha 1

Pontac: thanks so much for guidance, I am sure you are right about enjoying all excursions. We are excited that in one week we will be well on our way and will be experiencing all that you have mentioned. I am going to work on being less controlling and just relax!

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Haqdeluxe have you actually cruised with Scenic and if so when and where?

No, for Bordeaux only Viking. My reply was meant to say to @Host Jazzbeau that I'm more than happy to champion a "all-wine-all-the-time approach" to cruising the Bordeaux region. It was  meant to be tongue in cheek. 😁 There is much to see in the region but it is hard not focus on all the wine. We have spent a week in Bordeaux on our own land visit as we find it a wonderful place for just enjoying the French culture and lifestyle. Making a daytrip to Arcachon is well worth the time and will have minimal focus on wine. Other than if you wish a glass with your oysters.

Cheers