Question about Apple Wallet GTY trick

I shared this tip with a friend. It worked, and he is very happy with his assigned cabin, but he had a question I couldn't answer so I said I'd ask.

Has anyone experienced/heard of the unofficial assignment changing before it shows up online or in the app? I told him nothing is ever guaranteed, since even specifically booked cabins can be changed "because COVID," but I was wondering if we have any intel on whether it's more likely in this situation.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

4 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I shared this tip with a friend. It worked, and he is very happy with his assigned cabin, but he had a question I couldn't answer so I said I'd ask.

Has anyone experienced/heard of the unofficial assignment changing before it shows up online or in the app? I told him nothing is ever guaranteed, since even specifically booked cabins can be changed "because COVID," but I was wondering if we have any intel on whether it's more likely in this situation.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

From what I have read, it is rare for the ‘unofficial’ assignment to be charged. Also you do not need to use Apple wallet, as soon as you see a muster or deck assignment even though cabin still says GTY, you can use any QR scanner app and it will provide the result. I use two devices, pull up the code on my iPad then scan with my phone.

Also, since the cabin is still unofficial, you will not be able to move to a more desired cabin till it becomes ‘official’.

• Like 1

I think you gave the safe answer.

My cabin has not changed from the barcode stage nor do I know anyone who has experienced that.  Still, whenever I book gty I always assume the cruiseline has the right to change my cabin (though I’ll be surprised if they ever do).

• Like 1