Help pick Christmas markets!

cruise4mom

We have an opportunity to take a Christmas market river cruise in 2023 and do not know which river would be the best, the Danube or the Rhine. Does anyone have any info on the markets, which river allows us to see the most unique areas with unique items for purchase.

any suggestion for which cruise company to use.

I have not done it from a river cruise, but I have been the the markets in Lubeck, Berlin (many!), Weimar, and Erfurt.

I loved them all-but they do have slightly different character depending on the size of the town, theme (some are more children oriented, for example).

This website might give you an idea of which might delight you the most:

https://www.brunnvalla.ch/christmasmarkets/germany.html

We only completed a Danube Christmas cruise, which we enjoyed.  I would chose the cruise with the ports that interest you most. The markets are fun and each with have their own  flavor, but the cities themselves were most important to us.  We loved the markets in Vienna and Salzburg , but the atmosphere of any market, especially after dark, with their lights and aromas, provided the best memories. Next up is the Rhine.

Recently someone posted about a new itinerary for Christmas market that is centered towards Belgium markets. I’d certainly want to try that.
Danube or Rhein? After doing both, I would need to flip a coin to decide on which to do again. We totally enjoyed each of those itineraries with their mix of big cities and smaller towns.  

• Like 1

I’m the one who booked the Belgium Markets in 2023 with Uniworld.  It really seems unique as well as Taucks.  I’ve previously sailed the Danube for Christmas Markets starting in Budapest and ending in Passau.  We did a 3 day stay in Munich pre cruise and really enjoyed their markets.  Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava, and Passau all had unique and fun markets.  Plus there was a day trip to Salzburg.  Highly recommend this itinerary.  I’ve sailed the Rhine but not during Christmas.  I really don’t believe you can make a mistake with either.  Good luck in your research

Having sailed the Rhine and Danube for the Xmas markets,,,

Loved both but would highly recommend Danube that includes Nuremburg.

Rhine loved Strasburg.  

We used AMA for both of these a year apart.  Ama went from Nuremburg to Budapest.

All the ports were interesting, had wonderful markets.

Rhine, I feel is scenic, markets good but not great.

Either one is a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stan vermeers said:

Having sailed the Rhine and Danube for the Xmas markets,,,

Loved both but would highly recommend Danube that includes Nuremburg.

Rhine loved Strasburg.  

We used AMA for both of these a year apart.  Ama went from Nuremburg to Budapest.

All the ports were interesting, had wonderful markets.

Rhine, I feel is scenic, markets good but not great.

Either one is a wonderful experience.

Have to agree, both rivers have wonderful Christmas Markets. Would have to fall to a toss of the coin. We are looking at the new Viking itinerary sailing the Seine.