eclipse still in port 10;25pm on 28th ???????

c-legs

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Or the striking workers or the lawmakers who allow strikes or the voters who voted the lawmakers in🤪

This sounds like something that would come from Russia or China, not the free world where people are allowed to protest if they feel they aren’t being treated fairly. Or, is it only if it affects the poor mistreated cruise lines?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Veinless said:

How did the barge get there to begin with? Eclipse only arrived on Sunday, they’ve been on strike since Thursday..

Tug company tied it up and left. Never came back.

Evidently there are picketers in boats taunting guests, who are in turn shouting back at them.

Oh interesting! My husband and I were having dinner near Canada Place last night and watched the Nieuw Amsterdam sail away, and then walked over to the other side of Canada Place to get a look at the Eclipse (my next cruise is on the Solstice) about 30 min before it was set to depart. I had no idea there was anything going on, but now that I look at the photos I took last night, I can see the barge.

IMG_7975.thumb.JPG.edf2e70b92f0d4fd530c94f4ce5f13df.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

The other three companies are still working and are not on strike.

Apparently the barge attached to the ship is owned by the tug company that is on strike. They won’t remove the barge, and the other tug companies will not touch it because they do not own it. Ship being held hostage by the striking tug company workers after they abandoned the barge while still attached. 

2 minutes ago, rangerette said:

Apparently the barge attached to the ship is owned by the tug company that is on strike.

Ouch!  That explains a lot.  Wonder if the tug company has a 'force majeure' clause of any kind that would cover work stoppages, or instead if Celebrity's compensation meter is running on the tug company's dime?

And now they have to wait for the tides in order to clear the Lions Gate Bridge.  I'm sure Celebrity is offering some type of compensation to the passengers, even though it is 100% not their fault.

8 minutes ago, snowmc said:

And now they have to wait for the tides in order to clear the Lions Gate Bridge.  I'm sure Celebrity is offering some type of compensation to the passengers, even though it is 100% not their fault.

Agreed, not Celebrity’s fault. But in hindsight maybe they should have gotten one of the companies NOT on strike to refuel them! It will be interesting to see what happens with Disney Wonder that pulled in earlier today and if they are able to refuel and sail this afternoon. 

Edited by rangerette
Word change

6 minutes ago, snowmc said:

I don't think the Eclipse is big enough to have its clearance under the bridge affected by the tides. That's usually only an issue for the larger ships that are based out of Seattle and very infrequently come to Vancouver, e.g. the NCL Bliss/Encore.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rangerette said:

Apparently the barge attached to the ship is owned by the tug company that is on strike. They won’t remove the barge, and the other tug companies will not touch it because they do not own it. Ship being held hostage by the striking tug company workers after they abandoned the barge while still attached. 

Thank you for your reporting!  Super fascinating!  This is quite a big deal - wow!

So let me get this straight, the barge company (actually it’s employees) are refusing to move the barge and holding approximately 4 to 5000 people hostage? Sounds like the law enforcement or the government better get involved soon or things might get very ugly. 

Edited by djh
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, djh said:

So let me get this straight, the barge company (actually it’s employees) are refusing to move the barge and holding approximately 4 to 5000 people hostage? Sounds like the law enforcement or the government better get involved soon or things might get very ugly. 

Exactly.  

Law enforcement / government in Canada are unlikely to get involved in an ongoing strike action unless it's for an essential service. (Which may be why they're blocking the cruise ship versus, say, the container ship port next door.)

I'm sure this is a jurisdictional nightmare for everyone involved; you've got a federal port authority, local unions (not just the tug operators but the dockside port staff and security who may be reluctant or outright not allowed to interfere), a major marine corporation owned by an American billionaire, plus an international cruise line.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

you've got a federal port authority, local unions (not just the tug operators but the dockside port staff and security who may be reluctant or outright not allowed to interfere), a major marine corporation owned by an American billionaire, plus an international cruise line.

Perhaps the billionaire could pull a Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne and just buy the tug company, fire everyone, and hire another company to move it! All in 6 hours time 🙂

2 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Is anyone on board who can tell us what's going on there? Is the wifi blocked?

Why would the WiFi be blocked? And have you heard of LTE, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc.? They’re docked - anyone can access the Internet if they want.

• Like 3

How many days do people think they will keep everyone on board before they get them off and send them home? I’m not really familiar with ship operations so is there any chance conditions deteriorate on board (sanitation for instance)?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

Perhaps the billionaire could pull a Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne and just buy the tug company, fire everyone, and hire another company to move it! All in 6 hours time 🙂

The billionaire does own the tug company. Dennis Washington owns Washington Group which owns Seaspan (run by his son) which owns the tug service, whose unionized workers are currently on strike.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rangerette said:

How many days do people think they will keep everyone on board before they get them off and send them home? I’m not really familiar with ship operations so is there any chance conditions deteriorate on board (sanitation for instance)?

They’re not marooned at sea! They’re docked at Canada Place. Why would conditions deteriorate? The tug is on strike, not the Eclipse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

This sounds like something that would come from Russia or China, not the free world where people are allowed to protest if they feel they aren’t being treated fairly. Or, is it only if it affects the poor mistreated cruise lines?

Protesting is to picket in front of a business. Not holding several thousand people hostage who paid good money for their vacation. This is nuts but nothing surprises me in Canada anymore, one reason why I left. My condo has a nice view of the Eclipse right now though.

1 minute ago, rangerette said:

Not sure, but did just notice that the ship's AIS just changed its destination to Hubard [sic] Glacier; this morning when I first checked it had been Ketchikan, and I think someone else reported that it was originally Icy Strait Point.

Looking at the port schedule, there are no cruise ships scheduled to be docked at Canada Place on Tuesday, but there are three scheduled for Wednesday and that's max capacity for the berths. So that might be the pressure point for the union, Seaspan and the port authority to get something worked out one way or another.