Sky Princess - Covid alert today

ghstudio

Currently on the Sky Princess. Yesterday the captain said Recommend.  Last night was the first they announced in the theater (3x) masks recommended. Required or mandatory never said by captain or anyone else with Princess. When you enter your cabin on day one there are masks provided and a placard saying masks are recommended, when entering restaurants, theaters, bar's and so on there are signs saying masks recommended. No notice delivered to staterooms, but today is a new day so who knows.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Just curious... on your cruises, were you given mask(s) on boarding?  And if so, what quantity and general type (cloth, surgical, KN95, N95)?

I also wonder about how many are bringing masks onboard these days, but I won't ask about that.

There was a packet of 4? xx95 masks in our cabin, with a note that we can get more if needed.  They’re the rectangular style with a sort of cup that unfolds to fit around chin and nose.   Ear loops.  

it seems most people did bring masks with them, because after the captain’s announcement lots of masks and most were not the free Princess ones 😊

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, user32746 said:

Currently on the Sky Princess. Yesterday the captain said Recommend.  Last night was the first they announced in the theater (3x) masks recommended. Required or mandatory never said by captain or anyone else with Princess. When you enter your cabin on day one there are masks provided and a placard saying masks are recommended, when entering restaurants, theaters, bar's and so on there are signs saying masks recommended. No notice delivered to staterooms, but today is a new day so who knows.  

I can see a case for wearing masks in a full theater, but if a recommendation, it becomes personal choice.  It has never made sense to me to be wearing a mask for a few seconds walk from the DR entrance to a table when mask is removed.  The moments passing by others seated, etc on the way to a table is not exactly a risk for passing C-19.  But we used to have the same rule here where I live during the pandemic.  Mask to the table and then off it came.  Kind of odd IMO. 

Anyway, thanks for clearing up how the ship protocol is worded.

5 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

There was a packet of 4? xx95 masks in our cabin, with a note that we can get more if needed.  They’re the rectangular style with a sort of cup that unfolds to fit around chin and nose.   Ear loops.  

it seems most people did bring masks with them, because after the captain’s announcement lots of masks and most were not the free Princess ones 😊

Thanks for the heads up.  You almost certainly got KN95s, since true N95s don't have ear loops.

In my limited experience on Princess, I got two of what sounds like the same KN95s that you got when I sailed with them in April.  On my cruise at the end of November, Princess had a mask mandate but didn't give me any freebie masks.  Oh well, it was a different era then - Omicron was just a Greek letter.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Just curious... on your cruises, were you given mask(s) on boarding?  And if so, what quantity and general type (cloth, surgical, KN95, N95)?

I also wonder about how many are bringing masks onboard these days, but I won't ask about that.

Sunday on the Island Princess, we received the surgical masks in our cabin on boarding and were told it was mandatory to wear masks in indoor areas. They have staff with additional masks at entrances to venues like Princess Theatre and make multiple announcements reminding people when to wear them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 8/30/2022 at 6:26 AM, BabySarge said:

Covid is not over anywhere, nor will it ever be.   Unfortunately, the cases that happen on cruise ships seem to be the ones that people/the media focus on.   

True, as someone looking forward to a safe cruise,  those  are the cases that I am interested in.

The media doesn't really focus on cases on cruise ships, you are naturally attracted to reports on cruise ships. I'm a long time cruiser, but I accept the fact that in reality, there are more cases of Covid on cruise ships than there are in cities larger than cruise ships. 

On 8/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, dreaminofcruisin said:

When this happened on the Emerald last cruise, they sent out a note to each stateroom indicating masks (that were recommended) were now required in all indoor spaces and crowded areas. I was quite surprised that there seemed to be about 90% compliance the first day....though it did drop some as each day went by..... Did they send out a note requiring them?

Princess, like most companies never "require" anything, telling some people to do something, or not do something is a big red flag. Unfortunately, some people feel like suggesting or recommending is for everyone else, not them. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, SargassoPirate said:

People who get all worked up about covid on cruise ships should wear an N95 from the time they step out the door for the cruise until they get back home.  Covid is everywhere, such as on that airplane, train, bus, taxi, hotel, airport terminal, port terminal, and on the ship.  If they are truly concerned about catching covid, they shouldn't be selective about where they wear a mask - unless they just like to clutch their pearls and virtue signal.

I'm vaxxed and boosted and couldn't care less what those around me do as far as masking.

Seems strange that people who are paranoid about catching Covid would take such chances sailing on a cruise ship. We're also vaccinated & other than that we'll be taking our chances without the fear of the virus.

If it happens, it happens. There are too many things lately to worry about than catching a cold.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, molly-patch said:

I think the Captain has said there is a requirement.  I just wonder if you caught COVID on board ship whether you would declare it and isolate or would you just carry on as normal without a mask??  

If the Captain sez it's a requirement, I'd mask up when required.

To answer your question, how does one know if they catch Covid on-board unless they are showing symptoms and get tested?  I rarely get sick, including colds and the flu, and if I started getting ill on the ship especially with the motion of the ocean I would hot foot it on down to sick bay for a remedy.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1