Viking Galapagos

eddieg07410

I just read that Viking is now offering a Galapagos extension. I just read this as I was just about given up on touring the Galapagos. I contacted Celebrity and they advised me that because of my slight balance issues I would have difficulty entering and exiting the inflatable boats and that staff would not be available to help. I was wondering if this true for the Viking Galapagos tour, as usually Viking staff is very helpful with issues like this.

My wife and I took the Linblad /National Geographic tour of the Galapagos several years ago.  Many islands are accessible by Zodiac boats, while others are accessible by larger launches pulling up to docks.  Some of the Zodiac islands require you to sit on the side gunwale of the beached boat, swing your butt over the side, and drop down a few feet to the sand. The guides had a small step-up box for people to enter the boat at the end of the island adventure. It was ungainly, but effective.

My wife has some mobility issues, and chose not to climb a steep stone staircase on one island.  Since she was already in the Zodiac, she, two other reluctant climbers and the boat guide took a cruise around the island.  My wife also declined several of the hikes across uneven, razor sharp, rocky terrain.

The menu of islands offered on cruises may vary each year. On our cruise, one island was opened for the first time in 12 years. Several bird enthusiasts booked the cruise for exactly that reason, and arranged early access to be there at dawn.

I don't know the current regulations for access to the many islands. But, I would consider some of the island hikes to be in the moderately strenuous category. And, it gets hot. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Where did you read this? Has this been posted on the Viking website yet? If so, please post a link to the description of the extension.

I haven't seen any details yet, but they did mention a Galapagos tour on Viking TV the week they presented the Octantis re-positioning cruise back to Ushuaia.

14 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

I just read that Viking is now offering a Galapagos extension. I just read this as I was just about given up on touring the Galapagos. I contacted Celebrity and they advised me that because of my slight balance issues I would have difficulty entering and exiting the inflatable boats and that staff would not be available to help. I was wondering if this true for the Viking Galapagos tour, as usually Viking staff is very helpful with issues like this.

That's surprising that Celebrity says staff would not be available to help. We cruised on the Celebrity Flora and I can't imagine anyone with minor balance or mobility issues would have a problem. Their specially designed zodiacs (which they call tenders) are entered and exited via a built-in stair system. There was NO sitting on or exiting from the side of the boat. Also, staff were ALWAYS there to assist everyone getting on or off. If we were taking another Galapagos trip, I would absolutely choose the Celebrity Flora.