Vanilla

music

3 hours ago, music said:

I would like to get some vanilla  to take home while doing the Mexica Riviera cruise? Out of these ports, where is the best place, Mazatlan, PV, Cabo?

thanks! 

We've purchased real vanilla in Mexico and the Caribbean and have found that actually the Kirkland brand pure vanilla is the best. So if you have a Costco by you give it a try.

I bought vanilla in Mexico (I don't recall which town) many years ago.  First I learned about possible additives to watch out for. OP, you need to do some research on this.

I brought a large bottle of vanilla back home with me.  Do you know how many batches of brownies and cookies you can make with a 750 mm bottle of vanilla?  That one bottle lasted years!  When I finally tossed it due to its age, I went to Williams Sonoma for my next bottle of vanilla,  and got a SMALL bottle.  I'd be afraid of Costco vanilla, it probably comes in a five gallon bottle!!!  My grandchildren would probably be bequeathing it on to their kids!!!

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I bought vanilla in Mexico (I don't recall which town) many years ago.  First I learned about possible additives to watch out for. OP, you need to do some research on this.

I brought a large bottle of vanilla back home with me.  Do you know how many batches of brownies and cookies you can make with a 750 mm bottle of vanilla?  That one bottle lasted years!  When I finally tossed it due to its age, I went to Williams Sonoma for my next bottle of vanilla,  and got a SMALL bottle.  I'd be afraid of Costco vanilla, it probably comes in a five gallon bottle!!!  My grandchildren would probably be bequeathing it on to their kids!!!

No need to be afraid of Costco...It's bottle of Kirkland Pure Vanilla is 16 fl. oz. :classic_wink:

57 minutes ago, music said:

I do normally get my vanilla at Costco. Years ago I got some in Mexico and is was wonderful… to bad I can’t remember where!

Shop around and ask some vendors/locals that have a few different brands. Should be easy to narrow it down and you might even remember the one you bought once you see the bottle. Best of luck.

• Like 1

You really need to know exactly what you are buying. There is ALOT of cheap fake stuff out there including in places like PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. I would try to get it in Mazatlan because that is the most Mexican of the 3 ports. Cabo and PV are just tourist meccas. The Orlando brand has always been considered good. Do your research and make a 3x5 card with requirements and take that with you when shopping.20220911_130635.thumb.jpg.763e4ee1f8047bf073d2e1ad5508f0ac.jpg20220911_132024.thumb.jpg.8ee7ab5ae67bab5dd570dce951557487.jpg

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 1

And of course the safe bet as others mentioned is the Costco vanilla. A few years ago the price in Costco skyrocketed because of crop failures in Madagascar. The price in Costco almost tripled. But things have recovered and Costco's price is now pretty good (actually great). I got that bottle pictured above a few years ago while on vacation in Mazatlan. Think I paid $15 for that giant bottle back then.

Edited by SDPadreFan

I got that brand (Orlando) this past January in Mazatlan...I had priced it everywhere and the best price to my surprise was right at the port. I found it to be no better than my Kirkland brand and certainly Costco  was less expensive per fl oz.

Always best to know market prices before you go. That is always definitely true with Tequila as well. Some specific tequila's in Mexico are tourist priced (higher than stateside prices) because tourist's are really the only people buying that brand in Mexico (Patron comes to mind). If you want something unique - get a bottle of Damiana Liqueur. Great as a floater in a margarita. If you are not sure you would like it. Try a Damiana Margarita at Solomon's Landing in Cabo. It's right on the marina walk so you will walk right past it. DO NOT let your female companion(s) have too many of these. It's considered a mood enhancer for females if you get my drift. One look at the bottle will explain everything. Moderation is the key here.

More about vanilla pricing. When I bought my 33oz bottle of Orlando in Mazatlan in 2019, my cost was $300 pesos or about $15 ($.45 cents per ounce). The label is still on my bottle. At the same time (2019) - a 16oz bottle of Costco Vanilla was costing around $25-$30 due to the shortage of Madagascar vanilla beans. So about $1.56 per oz. at the time. The Madagascar shortage has resolved itself and Costco Vanilla currently is selling for around $15 for 16oz. That's an excellent price. That equates to a little less than $1 per oz ($.94). So compare that to the prices you find in Mexico for Orlando or other quality Mexican Vanilla's. Personally - I would give the Costco Vanilla a very slim taste edge. Just not at 2-3 times the price that I was able to get Orlando for in 2019.

Don't forget the Damiana Liqueur in Cabo!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the previous comments about Costco's vanilla but wanted to bring to the attention of bakers that I purchased a bottle of clear vanilla in Curacao a few years ago in addition to the regular dark kind.  It keeps the perfect white color of baked goods, frostings or sweets.

IMG_6411.HEIC IMG_6412.HEIC

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn't a Caribbean thread, but if you are ever in Roatan, they have great vanilla.  It is super cheap.  I bought a ton to bring back this summer for friends and family.  I think it was about $1.00 for a 16 oz bottle.  However, we had to go to a grocery store for that price.  Luckily our tour guide was willing and went in with us to find it and pay.   

When we were in Cozumel they were selling vanilla for pretty cheap, maybe $10 for 16oz.  However, it had different amounts in each bottle.  That made me a little nervous.  I'm not sure now about buying vanilla in Mexico from vendors or even tourist shops.  Maybe a grocery store would be a good idea if you want to buy Mexican vanilla.

• Like 1