Oasis cruise 8/28 - 9/4, the good, bad, and ugly.

GWM907

On most week long cruises we go to a specialty restaurant once or twice.  We've always been satisfied with the dining room and in fact have met many new friends dining there.  But in July we sailed Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne, and we found the dining room food and service just average or not so great.  We are sailing on Oasis out of Bayonne in October and I'm not reading many good comments about the main dining room.  Our booking came with one specialty dining night.  Now, with all the unfavorable dining room reviews, I am considering booking the 3 night dining package in addition to the one night we already have.  It's $102 a person (without taxes/gratuities) which I thought wasn't a bad deal.  Maybe we only need the Chops Plus One  which is $84 per person but not as good a deal.  And is four specialty nights on a 7-night cruise too much food?  Which would you choose?  This is our first time on this class ship.

• Like 1

We really had no complaints about the dining room food. We had MTD and never waited long, went in around 7:00pm.  We were very nice to the hostess and she took very good care of us.  Did not feel the need for specialty dining but we are not picky eaters.  They were very good about switching out food if you did not care for a meal.  I would stick to the one night deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FrannyK said:

On most week long cruises we go to a specialty restaurant once or twice.  We've always been satisfied with the dining room and in fact have met many new friends dining there.  But in July we sailed Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne, and we found the dining room food and service just average or not so great.  We are sailing on Oasis out of Bayonne in October and I'm not reading many good comments about the main dining room.  Our booking came with one specialty dining night.  Now, with all the unfavorable dining room reviews, I am considering booking the 3 night dining package in addition to the one night we already have.  It's $102 a person (without taxes/gratuities) which I thought wasn't a bad deal.  Maybe we only need the Chops Plus One  which is $84 per person but not as good a deal.  And is four specialty nights on a 7-night cruise too much food?  Which would you choose?  This is our first time on this class ship.

Also wanted to add that we have early seating in the dining room.  The late seating is just too late for us and we read about long lines/waits for MTD (which we normally do).  Still, I feel 5:30 is a bit too early, 

Thanks for the review. What time did you get to the pier area? (For a 10:30 check in appointment)

I have read that there is a lot of traffic, and passengers had to wait a long time just to park. . .

Radio

We got to the pier about 9:45 for a 10:00 checkin. Very little traffic.  Dropped off luggage and went right inside, through security and quick checkin.  Just showed passport and setsail pass and negative Test.  Waited about half an Hour then we boarded.  Very painless, yours should be even better, I would think less passengers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

We were supposed to but the covid surge last Christmas scared my wife. She said do whatever I want which is wife speak "we're not going".

We were a little unsure when the surge hit, especially since my hubby is a transplant recipient that is immuno compromised, but he decided the Heck with it, we are going!    We felt extremely safe onboard especially since we had about 1600 passengers (30% +/-).    We were supposed to do a b2b Jan 9th and the 20th but we work remotely and we were unable to access work files due to problems with our wifi and accessing VPN so we cancelled our 2nd leg.   

Happy Wife, Happy Life😀

8 hours ago, Radio said:

Thanks for the review. What time did you get to the pier area? (For a 10:30 check in appointment)

I have read that there is a lot of traffic, and passengers had to wait a long time just to park. . .

Radio

The whole process went very quickly. Got to the pier about 10:20, dropped bags, parked and on the ship by 11.

9 hours ago, GWM907 said:

The whole process went very quickly. Got to the pier about 10:20, dropped bags, parked and on the ship by 11.

Wow, that's great. I was reading about long line and long waits to park. . . 

I am going tomorrow I always go early for breakfast to miss the crowd s Jonny rockets has a complimentary breakfast I will go there and mar I do windjammer sometimes hoping less kids due to school

last year did oasis with less3000 people but realistically know it will be crowded and the chair hogs will be out in full force