Basic WIFI?

Coochuck

Both WiFi calling (using your regular phone number, not a separate app) and phone number based texting are unlikely to work on the basic package.  I have seen exceptions, but I believe these were due to mis-configuration by shipboard IT.

Edited by canderson

55 minutes ago, canderson said:

Both WiFi calling (using your regular phone number, not a separate app) and phone number based texting are unlikely to work on the basic package.  I have seen exceptions, but I believe these were due to mis-configuration by shipboard IT.

Really? I’m new to Celebrity and trying to figure out what to do about WiFi. I can’t text my hubby at home with the basic package?

2 hours ago, canderson said:

That won't be the 'basic WIFI' that the OP asked about. 

Starlink is being offered as the upgrade package.

From what I’ve read, starlink will be the sole service provider. Beyond is already up and running.

1 hour ago, MamaToMany said:

Really? I’m new to Celebrity and trying to figure out what to do about WiFi. I can’t text my hubby at home with the basic package?

No, with the basic 'surf' package, you'll want to use a texting app instead, which is certainly an alternative.  

23 minutes ago, Tierun said:

From what I’ve read, starlink will be the sole service provider. Beyond is already up and running.

The provider speed isn't the issue.  It's the tiering of service by Celebrity which, as I understand it, will remain a feature of Celebrity WiFi service.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

The provider speed isn't the issue.  It's the tiering of service by Celebrity which, as I understand it, will remain a feature of Celebrity WiFi service.

In the email we received from the CEO a few days ago when referring to starlink she recommended everyone to upgrade to the premium to get the full benefits - I think that answers the question basic will remain basic which pretty much means emails. You can't even browse Cruise Critic on the basic.

11 hours ago, MamaToMany said:

Yes you can just can not send pictures. I am just back from the Edge and it worked great.

Edited by southernbreezes

4 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

My only experience was Summit and basic WiFi was almost useless for basic email.  Forget about WiFi calling.

I use WhatsApp. You can call anywhere in the world for free, but who you call needs the app also.

If you download the app you can invite those you want to call to join. Great for Texting and lets you send pictures also...https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

7 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I use WhatsApp. You can call anywhere in the world for free, but who you call needs the app also.

If you download the app you can invite those you want to call to join. Great for Texting and lets you send pictures also...https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

It doesn't matter what you use if there is no throughput.