10 day or 11 day Galapagos tour

eddieg07410

The price difference between these two tour is about 100 dollars, but I was wondering if there is any real advantage to getting the extra day in Quito. A tour is not offered and you are left on your own. Is there really that much to see in Quito to warrant the extra day. Also, how safe would it be for two non Spanish speaking 70 year olds to be wandering the streets of Quito by themselves?

For this meagre difference, it will be a no brainer for me.

I've done the 10 days ten years ago, when I was 61. The cruise was very intensive, and I'd had much preferred another day to "decompress" before boarding the long flight back.

I've travelled with my cousin (same age as me), and we arrived Thursday for a cruise sailing on Sunday, i.e. we had 2 days on our own. We used taxis to visit different sights in Quito, and felt very safe.

Of course, we had only our wedding rings with us, other valuable jewellery was either left in the hotel's safe or at home.

The first night we spent not in a Celebrity hotel (the Marriott then was too expensive for us), but were granted early check in on Friday at the Marriott (included in the 10 days tour -- 2 nights (Friday and Saturday before the cruise) and 1 night (Sunday to Monday) at the end.

I agree that staying the extra night is worthwhile. Celebrity offered nothing of interest on the extra day so we scheduled a private tour to the Cloud Forest. Although we did not know anybody on the cruise when boarding, by the end of the cruise we had made enough friends that it became a group tour so the cost was divided. We are planning on doing this again when we return in 2023.

The only downside was that I found the lack of oxygen a bit of a problem during that last night.

• Like 2

Years ago, when we had hoped to do this cruise but ended up having to cancel, we too noticed the small price difference between the 2 and jumped onto the 11 day cruise tour. Maybe you will explore the extra day, or maybe you’ll relax at the hotel if you don’t feel comfortable venturing out, but either way, $100 for an extra vacation day is worth it IMO! 

• Like 1