Cruise Lines with private Island

lucky1ns

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I agree it is one of the best of the private islands.  But, in the interests of full disclosure, it is owned by Carnival Corporation and also used by Carnival Cruise Lines for some of their cruises.  While many HAL fans like to think it's an exclusive place for HAL, that is not the case.

Hank

In my mind, a large part of the attraction of Half Moon Cay is that it has been largely left alone;  it is also a very user friendly natural beach — unlike Labadee which has been absurdly junked up with “facilities” - and which beach is second rate - given the amount of sharp stones, coral fragments and broken sea shells on so much of it as to make it damn uncomfortable to use as a beach.

I'm kind of puzzled by some of the responses.  I feel like I understood the question completely, since I went to the "new and improved" Coco Cay (RC) and really disliked it, compared to MSC's Ocean Cay.  I didn't like all the loud piped music, seeing all the amusement park structures, etc.  At Ocean Cay I pretty much spent both days just soaking in the beauty of the place: turquoise water all around it, white sand, palm trees.  It was quiet.  It was bliss.  I got to Coco Cay, looked around, and went back to the ship for the day.  Yes, there is a difference.

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm kind of puzzled by some of the responses.  I feel like I understood the question completely, since I went to the "new and improved" Coco Cay (RC) and really disliked it, compared to MSC's Ocean Cay.  I didn't like all the loud piped music, seeing all the amusement park structures, etc.  At Ocean Cay I pretty much spent both days just soaking in the beauty of the place: turquoise water all around it, white sand, palm trees.  It was quiet.  It was bliss.  I got to Coco Cay, looked around, and went back to the ship for the day.  Yes, there is a difference.

Sounds like you’re ready to try Polynesia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, lucky1ns said:

Any suggestions for a cruise line with a private Island that is still undeveloped like Little Stirrup Cay used to be?

Great Stirrup Cay (NCL) is still somewhat natural.

Princess Cay (Princess) is still 'old school' without a lot of frills.

Bimini Beach Resort (Virgin) is developed, but a lovely beach and two gorgeous pools, but that's about it. It is part of a larger resort but I absolutely loved that I could walk out a good one hundreds yards or so in the water and my feet were still touching the sand. 

Labadee (Royal) is far less developed than Coco Cay, though I will say the Coco Beach Club at Coco Cay looks stunning and we're actually booked there in December. .

Ocean Cay (MSC) has about 10 years or so until it'll fully grow in.

Disney is planning to make their next island much more natural than Castaway Cay. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:10 PM, navybankerteacher said:

In my mind, a large part of the attraction of Half Moon Cay is that it has been largely left alone;  it is also a very user friendly natural beach — unlike Labadee which has been absurdly junked up with “facilities” - and which beach is second rate - given the amount of sharp stones, coral fragments and broken sea shells on so much of it as to make it damn uncomfortable to use as a beach.

I honestly don't get the whole "left alone thing". There's only a small portion of the island that cruisers actually use. If a waterpark, shopping, or whatever was placed in an area that is not being used, I honestly don't see how that would detract from my experience. People absolutely love to find reasons to get bothered.

I think a lot of the love for HMC comes the ease of access for a white sand beach, free of debris, crystal clear water, that stretches very far. Often, that is quite the effort, expense, etc. to find a similar experience otherwise. It's an absolutely beautiful place that requires no mental effort to enjoy. 

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I honestly don't get the whole "left alone thing”.

I think a lot of the love for HMC comes the ease of access for a white sand beach, free of debris, crystal clear water, that stretches very far. Often, that is quite the effort, expense, etc. to find a similar experience otherwise. It's an absolutely beautiful place that requires no mental effort to enjoy. 

It is precisely that “left alone thing” which makes HMC so superior to overbuilt nightmare spots like Labadee.