Cruise Lines with private Island

lucky1ns

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

Not undeveloped but at least less developed is MSC's island. No amusement park and such. 

"Less developed" is kind of meaningless.  Bermuda is "less developed" than Manhattan.

If you really want an essentially undeveloped, natural, environment, you might consider going from St. Thomas (a Caribbean shopping mall) over to neighboring St. John - which has open, largely undeveloped areas.   Or do some research about individual islands - and find places like Baie Rouge or Friar's Bay on St. Martin on your own.  The fact is:  the governing bulk of passengers on mass market lines want "developed" islands.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

"Less developed" is kind of meaningless.  Bermuda is "less developed" than Manhattan.

If you really want an essentially undeveloped, natural, environment, you might consider going from St. Thomas (a Caribbean shopping mall) over to neighboring St. John - which has open, largely undeveloped areas.   Or do some research about individual islands - and find places like Baie Rouge or Friar's Bay on St. Martin on your own.  The fact is:  the governing bulk of passengers on mass market lines want "developed" islands.

Conjur with you and the following posters.

Yet the OP asked specifically for a cruise line's private island.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Don't go on a cruise line that stops at their owned private islands.  Find a line that stops at interesting place(s) and visit them.  A cruise line private island in no way qualifies as an interesting place.

DON

I kinda understand the whole pride of those who want to feel like they've traveled the underdeveloped world. Unlike those low brow people who go to private islands and amusement parks. I disagree that it in "no way" qualifies as an interesting place. Sometimes, believe it or not, it is nice to go to a nice beach, without having to buy expensive taxis and lunches. One of my personal favorites is Carnival's Half Moon Cay. I believe it's at least somewhat interesting. No?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Conjur with you and the following posters.

Yet the OP asked specifically for a cruise line's private island.

Not really -- OP actually asked about a cruise line's private island that is STILL UNDEVELOPED;  even noting that Little Stirrup has not retained its attraction for him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I kinda understand the whole pride of those who want to feel like they've traveled the underdeveloped world. Unlike those low brow people who go to private islands and amusement parks. I disagree that it in "no way" qualifies as an interesting place. Sometimes, believe it or not, it is nice to go to a nice beach, without having to buy expensive taxis and lunches. One of my personal favorites is Carnival's Half Moon Cay. I believe it's at least somewhat interesting. No?

Interesting? Perhaps if you’ve never been to a beach anywhere else. Nonetheless, cruise line islands are as phony as Las Vegas hotels that poorly mimic the “attractions” of major cities like NYC and Paris. All are the poster children for “schlock.”

On 9/13/2022 at 12:52 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Interesting? Perhaps if you’ve never been to a beach anywhere else. Nonetheless, cruise line islands are as phony as Las Vegas hotels that poorly mimic the “attractions” of major cities like NYC and Paris. All are the poster children for “schlock.”

So, we again agree to disagree and we would note that your "cruise line of choice" does not have an island getaway.  We have been to many so-called cruise ship islands including RCI, NCLs, MSCs and Princess.  Since DW and I do enjoy beaches, the water, snorkeling, diving, etc. we generally enjoy all of the so called islands just like we enjoy other beaches around the world.  There is nothing "phony" as these are simply beaches!   Many have been "improved" by the cruise lines just like many beaches around the world have been "improved-developed."   DW and I have an upcoming 2 week cruise on MSC and will likely not bother to get off the ship at any of the ports (been there....done that too many times) but will certainly get off the ship (weather permitting) at Ocean Cay which is MSC's "phony" island.  In fact, the truth is that MSCs Ocean Cay is truly "phony" since it is essentially a man-made island originally developed for an oil company.  

But what you call "phony" we call a nice beach day.  The place has sand, water, decent swimming, clean bathrooms, food and drink.  To you this might be phony but to us it is paradise :).  It sure beats gong to what you might consider a "not phony" beach such as in Nice, France where one can enjoy the rocks and stones of a real beach.  Give me a "phony" beach with real sand any day.

As to the OP's post, I think if they want underdeveloped beaches these can easily be found on many Caribbean islands if you go off on your own and avoid the places used by cruise line excursions and resorts.  So, for example, on the island of St Martin (the French side) one can go to Happy Bay/Beach if they have a rental car and might find they have the place to themselves.  On Curacao one could rent a car and drive all the way out to Jeremi Beach or one of the other usually deserted beaches towards Noordpunt.    And I am old enough to remember Little Stirrup Cay and that place had amazing snorkeling before it was somewhat ruined by too many sloppy snorkelers and too many nasty storms (which destroyed much of the coral).  It is part of the Berry Islands which is where NCL started the entire out-island thing back in the 70s.   We actually stopped there on our first cruise (NCLs Sunward II) back in 1977.  RCCL (now RCI) quickly followed with their facility in Labadee, Haiti.

Hank

To keep on topic:  OP simply asked if there were any private cruise line islands left largely in natural state -- rather than being "improved".   There is nothing "wrong" with most of the enhancements the lines have added -- but they have not left the islands in their natural state.  That is all:  let us not get all judgmental on each other.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:59 AM, Joebucks said:

I wonder if some of these posters have actually been to one of the Cruise line Islands.  

I'll be going to my first this coming November.  I"m pretty sure I'll have a good time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I wonder if some of these posters have actually been to one of the Cruise line Islands.  

I'll be going to my first this coming November.  I"m pretty sure I'll have a good time.  

I did when we went on a cruise w the kids and grandkids.  I got totally bored on the beach within 10 minutes as there was nothing interesting to do.  Of course I always get totally bored on any beach as there is never anything to do on any beach.

DON

• Like 3

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I did when we went on a cruise w the kids and grandkids.  I got totally bored on the beach within 10 minutes as there was nothing interesting to do.  Of course I always get totally bored on any beach as there is never anything to do on any beach.

DON

"...never anything to do on any beach..."  :   Ever consider swimming, snorkelling or some other sort of water-related activity?

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Thanks Don, that makes sense if you are not a fan of sunbathing.   I'm not a big fan of that either, but do like hanging around the ocean.  That is why the foggy Northern Calif coast is appealing to me (I go often for surf fishing).   I will have my first private island experience at CocoCay in November.  I imagine I will spend most of the day wading in the ocean lathered with sunscreen.  Never been there so don't know what the beach is like.  I hope there is some breaking surf. Either way, I look forward to it as I'm with a fun group of family & friends.  

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just back from three night stay in Albion. Heaven!

That whole section of coast is beautiful.   Slightly south is Gualala.  It is one of my favorites.  I'm at Salmon Creek beach just north of Bodega Bay all the time - it is a pretty easy drive for me.  

On 9/12/2022 at 12:41 PM, lucky1ns said:

Any suggestions for a cruise line with a private Island that is still undeveloped like Little Stirrup Cay used to be?

I apologize that you had to weed through 21 responses to actually get an answer.

I recommend Holland America's Half Moon Cay.  I rate the beach a perfect 10, and the island is very much how NCL's Great Stirrup Cay or RCI's Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) used to be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I apologize that you had to weed through 21 responses to actually get an answer.

I recommend Holland America's Half Moon Cay.  I rate the beach a perfect 10, and the island is very much how NCL's Great Stirrup Cay or RCI's Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) used to be.  

As the OP has not clarified their question,  hard to give any recommendations. But I do totally agree, Half Moon Cay is awesome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I totally agree.  Unlike, let's say Aruba or other places where you have to haul your stuff, HAL  takes you over on on a ferry which takes minutes, drops you off, grab a chair or buy one with the big umbrella and relax, swim, drink, have lunch, read a book, etc.  I'm not a beach person, but I did enjoy just walking on the beach there and it was more relaxing than the busy pool areas on the Lido deck.  For those who are from beach areas, they may/may not enjoy this as much as someone from the far winter north like me.  Half Moon Cay!

Edited by AKJonesy

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I agree it is one of the best of the private islands.  But, in the interests of full disclosure, it is owned by Carnival Corporation and also used by Carnival Cruise Lines for some of their cruises.  While many HAL fans like to think it's an exclusive place for HAL, that is not the case.

Hank