British Isles Trip of a Lifetime Report - Emerald Princess August 25

karatemom2

32 minutes ago, Sunset329 said:
  • Great report and loved the photos. We have a British Isles cruise scheduled next year. We are a little concerned about the weather in the ports in October.

I do hope you have great weather. I would imagine these ports might be especially lovely in Fall. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much for sharing your trip!  I enjoyed your report so very much that I read it twice. Your photos brought back wonderful memories, as we have visited those ports on past cruises.....

For us , Normandy is probably the most powerful and impactful location we have ever visited.  My wife and I  spend time in Paris every year. Next spring we plan on flying our son over to France so he and I can walk the Normandy beaches and visit the cemetery together. 

thanks again!

Edited by tml1230
  • Like 1

karatemom2, nice review and pictures. We we're on the cruise with you and it really was a fantastic cruise! Like you, it was also our first time overseas and we enjoyed all the ports, so much to see and do, but wish we had more time. We also enjoyed the entertaiment like you said, but thought the singer ShellyAnn was exceptional and what a great personality. The only thing I disagree with you, was the pizza on the top deck. We had it a couple of times and loved it. Best to you in your future cruises. :classic_smile:

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

karatemom2, nice review and pictures. We we're on the cruise with you and it really was a fantastic cruise! Like you, it was also our first time overseas and we enjoyed all the ports, so much to see and do, but wish we had more time. We also enjoyed the entertaiment like you said, but thought the singer ShellyAnn was exceptional and what a great personality. The only thing I disagree with you, was the pizza on the top deck. We had it a couple of times and loved it. Best to you in your future cruises. :classic_smile:

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

It really was a wonderful cruise, wasn't it? And so glad the pizza worked out for you - both times we arrived right as they were opening and maybe it got better as the day went on! We missed the singer, but heard from others that she was wonderful. So glad you enjoyed your cruise as well!!

Hello Karatemom2: Great detailed review on the itinerary and lovely pictures.  You seem to have planned it out quite well.

Question: What was the weather like for you on this trip? Were the seas rough?  This is also a dream trip so I'm trying to plan for next year but not sure when would provide the best weather/seas.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisin1357 said:

Hello Karatemom2: Great detailed review on the itinerary and lovely pictures.  You seem to have planned it out quite well.

Question: What was the weather like for you on this trip? Were the seas rough?  This is also a dream trip so I'm trying to plan for next year but not sure when would provide the best weather/seas.

Thanks!

We were so fortunate with weather. It seems Europe and UK in general is having a warmer than average summer. Our four days in London were really warm. We got a splash of rain on embarkation day when we went to Windsor Castle but it was very minor and a great excuse to buy one of their cute umbrellas. Most of our port days were high 60s to mid 70s and no rain. Our only slightly less than perfect day was Edinburgh. It was pretty windy and delayed tendering. It rained lightly and by the time we got back on the ship it was cold and very windy. Now of course your mileage may vary - I think every tour guide we had pointed out that in the UK you can experience all four seasons in one day (not kidding, heard that almost every tour, haha!). But we had beautiful weather and I would book in late August again for a future cruise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisin1357 said:

Thanks so much for the information.  It looks like August will work best for us next year.  I realize it will be a cooler weather cruise but 60s/70s sounds quite manageable.

If you take this cruise and are in Edinburgh (or Greenock where we docked) between August 4 and 26, I highly recommend attending the Military Tattoo.  It was the absolute highlight of our 2013 British Isles cruise.

• Like 3

Hi karatemom2

I’ve really enjoyed your review as we are taking a similar cruise on Regal next year.

I tried to message you through the members section on CC but it didn’t work. Would you mind emailing me as I have a question for you? It’s a ‘nice’ question!

Many thanks.

brenda dot d @ btinternet dot com    (usual format)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed review. My daughters and I did this same itinerary on the Crown Princess in 2010, and I’m itching to go back! I’m hoping my husband will agree to do it on the Regal next June. The only itinerary difference is Kirkwall  in the Orkney Islands instead of Invergordon.