Balcony Selection Jewel of the Sea

rizkeeper

I took the "RCL selects" room option when boking my Balcony for my Nov cruise.  The Spacious Balconies and Regular Balcony rooms were the same price under the "you select" option.   I just called RCL to try and guarantee a Spacious Balcony but the price difference is $1200 (YIKES).

If there a chance I could still get a spacious balcony under my "RCL Selects" balcony room option?   

Sure, there is a chance your assigned balcony will be from the spacious category and there is a change it will be from the spacious category.  When you book a guarantee cabin you grant the cruiseline control over those choices; as you learned you cannot make any requests by calling. 

You can watch for a cabin assignment.  Your profile says you are from GA, so North American booking rules should apply.  Once you cabin is assigned, you can look online and see if there any other available cabins you like better in your exact same assigned category (ex. 3D) for the same number of guests.  If so, you may call and ask they may allow you to swap to that available cabin.  Of course, when you get an assignment there may not be any others available or any you like better.

Also, between now and final payment, you can watch for price changes.  You might catch a price drop that will allow you to pick your cabin at an attractive price.

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

When you booked if the prices were the same why didn't you select your cabin at that time?

The “you select room” price is the same for Spacious balcony and regular balcony rooms. If you select “RCL Select” you balcony room it is one price and includes either spacious or regular balcony.  

26 minutes ago, rizkeeper said:

The “you select room” price is the same for Spacious balcony and regular balcony rooms. If you select “RCL Select” you balcony room it is one price and includes either spacious or regular balcony.  

Yes...but why did you opt to let RCI choose your cabin is what I'm asking.

29 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes...but why did you opt to let RCI choose your cabin is what I'm asking.

It probably saved the OP money (the price difference was presumably $1200, as that was the upgrade cost per phone call)

In the original post, OP did not say his gty cabin ( “RCL selects”) was the same price as the “you select room” cabins.  Though the Op did not say so, the gty presumably was cheaper.  

The OP stated that had he elected to choose his own cabin,  there was no price difference between regular and spacious balconies.  That is immaterial as the OP did not book those categories and instead booked category X.

15 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It probably saved the OP money (the price difference was presumably $1200, as that was the upgrade cost per phone call)

In the original post, OP did not say his gty cabin ( “RCL selects”) was the same price as the “you select room” cabins.  Though the Op did not say so, the gty presumably was cheaper.  

The OP stated that had he elected to choose his own cabin,  there was no price difference between regular and spacious balconies.  That is immaterial as the OP did not book those categories and instead booked category X.

$1200 may have been the price when the OP called but perhaps it was less at the time of booking.

I've seen many times that the GTY isn't much cheaper. What seems to happen is that people think choosing a GTY will work out...and yes at times it might...but then their unhappy about the cabin their assigned and come back to complain about it. Same is true with upgrades. What RCI considers an upgrade may not be what you or I would think.

All of this is easy....if you want a certain category/location of cabin...choose it when you book and don't leave it up to RCI.

• Like 1