Strong storms to hit Alaska coast this weekend---last SB cruise Sept 23rd

SLSD

Miles away from the cruise area ....  click bait headlines as far a cruising is concerned.

ADAK, Alaska – A historic storm is bringing hurricane-force winds, over 50-foot seas and coastal flooding not seen in decades to parts of western Alaska on Friday and Saturday.

What used to be Typhoon Merbok has morphed into a powerful northern Pacific storm as it races nearly due north and pushes through the Aleutian Islands and into the Bering Sea, bringing a dangerous storm surge that threatens to inundate coastal villages and towns under several feet of water for hours.

Already the storm is leaving its mark in the Bering Sea, where a buoy 310 miles north of Adak reported wave heights of nearly 52 feet late Friday morning amid 74 mph wind gusts.

"Even though it is not officially a typhoon – which is what we could call a hurricane in the (U.S.) – it still has all of that powerful energy," said FOX Weather meteorologist Britta Merwin.

As the powerful storm's fierce winds push the sea ahead, storm surge will rival that of typical hurricane impacts. A surge of 8-11 feet is expected in Nome starting late Friday, with 9-13 feet of surge expected near Golovin and 12-18 feet of surge along the coast from Elim to Koyuk. The highest waters are expected Saturday.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Miles away from the cruise area ....  click bait headlines as far a cruising is concerned.

ADAK, Alaska – A historic storm is bringing hurricane-force winds, over 50-foot seas and coastal flooding not seen in decades to parts of western Alaska on Friday and Saturday.

What used to be Typhoon Merbok has morphed into a powerful northern Pacific storm as it races nearly due north and pushes through the Aleutian Islands and into the Bering Sea, bringing a dangerous storm surge that threatens to inundate coastal villages and towns under several feet of water for hours.

Already the storm is leaving its mark in the Bering Sea, where a buoy 310 miles north of Adak reported wave heights of nearly 52 feet late Friday morning amid 74 mph wind gusts.

"Even though it is not officially a typhoon – which is what we could call a hurricane in the (U.S.) – it still has all of that powerful energy," said FOX Weather meteorologist Britta Merwin.

As the powerful storm's fierce winds push the sea ahead, storm surge will rival that of typical hurricane impacts. A surge of 8-11 feet is expected in Nome starting late Friday, with 9-13 feet of surge expected near Golovin and 12-18 feet of surge along the coast from Elim to Koyuk. The highest waters are expected Saturday.

It came up on my weather app--nothing to do with cruising there.  Even though I've been to Alaska, one never really contemplates how very huge the state is--even the western part.  Our first port coming across from Japan/Russia was Kodiak--which is far more north than most SB cruises go.  

• Like 1

2002 aboard the Volendam en route to Russia in the vicinity of the Aleutians, we encountered the tail end of a typhoon and it was quite an experience at sea.  As the bow would crash down into huge waves, the resulting sea water displaced would cover the Crow's Nest.  One hung on to whatever solid fixture there was, many were ill, and the Chief Engineer was injured and had to be taken off the ship at Dutch Harbor.  It was exciting for me.  

We are in Queen Charlotte Sound right now and seas are quite choppy with more ship motion than I recall ever having on Seabourn. I’m guessing anyone susceptible to motion sickness is really feeling it. 

but skies are clear and bright blue and it’s a lovely day 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

I read that a Silversea ship took refuge from the storm in Alaska.  Is it the Wind--or whichever SS ship is up there.  

IT’s the Silver WIND and is very, very far north…in NOME ALASKA

nancy

Edited by nancygp

4 hours ago, nancygp said:

IT’s the Silver WIND and is very, very far north…in NOME ALASKA

nancy

Yes, you are right and I just read another report about it.  Evidently, the next guests will be delayed in boarding the Wind because of the storm.