princess luggage tags-when to attach

greener

1 minute ago, greener said:

do you put your cruise luggage tags on before your flight or after getting your bags from luggage carousel?

I wouldn't put them on the outside at all until I had them in hand and usually do it at pre-cruise hotel.  Not need for them until you are at the port and handing bag over for loading onto the ship. 

This is especially true if you don't place the paper luggage tags you print off in a protective holder.

What I WOULD do is place the cruise bag tag inside a thin zipper pocket on outside of your bag such that it is easily retrievable and found.  That way if bag is unexpectedly misplaced, lost, etc, an airline employee can find the tag and see that it is destined for a particular ship.  

• Like 4

Always just before the final ride to the ship. If done before the flight, they might get torn off or add confusion at airport baggage handling. And we always use plastic luggage tag holders. Make sure that they match the cruise line - for instance, Carnival cruise line companies are a different size than Royal Caribbean cruise line companies. 

Carnival Luggage Tag Holders by Cruise On [4 Pack] Fits All Carnival Cruise Line Ships & Tags for Cruises in 2022 & 2023

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=princess+luggage+tag+holders&crid=31S9WNQIO0TE5&sprefix=princess+luggage+tag+holders%2Caps%2C141&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, greener said:

do you put your cruise luggage tags on before your flight or after getting your bags from luggage carousel?

If you’re going directly to the ship, then you could put them on at the luggage carousel, or if you’re going directly on a Princess transfer to the ship.

Otherwise, like others posted, wait until you’re ready to go to the ship.

2 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Always just before the final ride to the ship. If done before the flight, they might get torn off or add confusion at airport baggage handling. And we always use plastic luggage tag holders. Make sure that they match the cruise line - for instance, Carnival cruise line companies are a different size than Royal Caribbean cruise line companies. 

Carnival Luggage Tag Holders by Cruise On [4 Pack] Fits All Carnival Cruise Line Ships & Tags for Cruises in 2022 & 2023

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=princess+luggage+tag+holders&crid=31S9WNQIO0TE5&sprefix=princess+luggage+tag+holders%2Caps%2C141&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Likely cheaper on eBay. I know were. A really great product!

We put them on before our flight just in case our bags don’t make it to our final destination. We also bring spares in case they get torn off during the flight.  We get ours on Amazon. They are a little expensive but they have lasted through many cruises.

719FE2BD-5538-4D1F-8806-283585201BB3.thumb.jpeg.6919ad085b1a3b0fa7f7c73f67e3c982.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 2

We use the staple method that Princess espouses. We just make sure there's one of those mini-staplers in our carry-on and like others have said, affix them to the bags just before you make the final transfer to the ship.

Having them in the outside pocket of each bag is a great idea BTW. Normally DW keeps a file folder in her carry-on with paperwork for each leg of the trip. This includes the bag tags. I'm going to suggest the outside pocket method for the bag tags. Less stuff to carry around.

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

We put them on before our flight just in case our bags don’t make it to our final destination. We also bring spares in case they get torn off during the flight.

We did that once when arriving in Vancouver on an EZair booked flight the morning of our Alaska cruise. Then if our bags were delayed they were more likely to get to us at the next port.

When our bags didn’t arrive on the YVR carousel we talked to a Princess rep who said with the ship’s tags on our bags they were likely sent directly to the ship with passengers on their shuttle. We took the SkyTrain to the ship & thankfully our bags arrived. Just sharing this possibility when arriving on sailing day.

We have also used those plastic tag holders to have itinerary info included & also inside our bags in case they were misdirected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We use the tags and I put them on before flights, that said I also print a second set to have in my document folder just in case.  No fumbling around at the cruise port (we haven't lost them yet).  Also, I bought the RCL/Celebrity ones which are larger than CCL/Princess but they work for both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

That's a great idea. Did you design or purchase?

I purchased the luggage tag holders from Favors By Serendipity & they include that PDF file…print it & add the itinerary to the blank backside before folding it to fit in the tag holder. I have the PDF on the Mainland & could post it after we return home soon from Maui. Checking their website they still include that file with purchases of the luggage tags.

Attempted to add the link however it was blocked by CC…they allow Amazon links but not for this vendor.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I don't have luggage tag holders, but I do print them on card stock paper. This makes them a bit more durable and have never had them tear off. I bring a little 'tot' stapler to attach them and don't put them on until after my flight.

After stapling & wrapping a luggage tag in packing tape being nearly torn off between the pierside porter & our cabin I decided to purchase the reusable tag holders with a metal grommet as a cheap ($3 or less) insurance to ensure receiving our bags. The vinyl loop attachment straps later became brittle so bought the stainless steel wire keychains for $0.40 each…more cheap insurance. 😊

B2CC100E-C86E-4D9B-B34E-B698671BE3C6.png

EAB08286-1BFE-4A53-ADCE-567E1BA0DE61.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 2

Just to offer another method.  I print out the tag at home, fold them, and then cover both sides with clear packing tape.  Then punch a hole in both ends of the tag.  When adding the tags to the bag, normally at the cruise port hotel before going to the port, I then attach them with a plastic wire tie.  If you use this method you must bring with you a nail clipper or something to cut the wire tie off later.

The packing tape water proofs the tag just in case it is raining and the bag handlers let the baggage carts sit out in the rain for awhile. 

Bob

36 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

Just to offer another method.  I print out the tag at home, fold them, and then cover both sides with clear packing tape.  Then punch a hole in both ends of the tag.  When adding the tags to the bag, normally at the cruise port hotel before going to the port, I then attach them with a plastic wire tie.  If you use this method you must bring with you a nail clipper or something to cut the wire tie off later.

The packing tape water proofs the tag just in case it is raining and the bag handlers let the baggage carts sit out in the rain for awhile. 

Bob

Or spend $6 for reusable plastic holders with screw on wire loops that require almost zero effort to use, are almost impossible to damage, and don't need tools to be carried to be installed or be cut off. After spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and transportation, I doubt that extra $6 will break the bank. Plus, they are reusable, so the cost will be spread out over multiple cruises. I can understand being frugal, but all that effort to save a few bucks on a multi thousand dollar cruise seems like too much of a chore. 

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

Or spend $6 for reusable plastic holders with screw on wire loops that require almost zero effort to use, are almost impossible to damage, and don't need tools to be carried to be installed or be cut off. After spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and transportation, I doubt that extra $6 will break the bank. Plus, they are reusable, so the cost will be spread out over multiple cruises. I can understand being frugal, but all that effort to save a few bucks on a multi thousand dollar cruise seems like too much of a chore. 

Or, we started taping our paper tags years ago. So, we continue to do so as part of our family cruising tradition.

As for being Frugal, If I wanted to purchase plastic holders I would just go to the local park and collect a bag full of aluminum cans and cash them in to make the purchase to prevent an impact on my multi thousand dollar cruise.

Bob

5 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

Or, we started taping our paper tags years ago. So, we continue to do so as part of our family cruising tradition.

As for being Frugal, If I wanted to purchase plastic holders I would just go to the local park and collect a bag full of aluminum cans and cash them in to make the purchase to prevent an impact on my multi thousand dollar cruise.

Bob

Well, traditions are indeed important. But, I'm not sure I would want to fight off homeless people to gather enough cans to save a few bucks. "Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting!"  😁

As an aside - my hubby and I have been throwing our extra change in a box for who knows how long. He finally decided to take them to a CoinStar machine to cash them in. He ended up with $375.46 when they were all deposited! Now we have paid for our specialty dining and my massages on the next cruise. Every penny, nickle, dime, quarter and half dollar counts! 😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

After - when we pick up our luggage at the destination airport.  No need to tell everyone who handles our bags that we'll be on vacation for an extended time.  They can easily look up the sailing and how long you'll be gone.  No one's business.

And your address is on your baggage tags.  I put one of our email addresses 

on our airline luggage tags, they can get ahold of you quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

And your address is on your baggage tags.  I put one of our email addresses 

on our airline luggage tags, they can get ahold of you quickly.

I've never had luggage tags with my address on them. And don't the airline's porter or desk attendant the ones who put the flight tags on at the airport? 

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

And your address is on your baggage tags.

Are you referring to the ones you use for the cruise, or for flying?  The cruise ship luggage tag does not have any personal information.  It has spaces for:

NAME

EMBARKATION DATE/PORT

SHIP

STATEROOM

LUGGAGE DOOR/DECK (which is an internal designation and means nothing to the passenger.)

6 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

I've never had luggage tags with my address on them. And don't the airline's porter or desk attendant the ones who put the flight tags on at the airport? 

Yes, referring to your own luggage tag.

You always should have a luggage tag on a checked bag in case it’s lost and one inside the bag too.

The airline rep or the kiosk prints out a baggage tag.  If for some reason it gets torn off, then your own tag would have your address, email or phone to contact you.

You could just put your email and/or cell number on your luggage tag.  

Mine is hidden inside the tag.

Edited by PacnGoNow