How full is my Cruise in Oct?

krittykat

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah….overall, it’s at best, a guessing game.  Plus, they don’t really know a total count until everyone is checked in and on the ship.

I know I’ve tried to pinpoint the amount of guests before sailing.  And, given the wildly inaccurate guesses (and many times glitchy WEB sites), I’ve come to the conclusion no one can make a reliable estimate, including me.

Doesn’t matter.  I’m booked and sailing regardless of there’s 1 guest or 6,000 guests sailing.

This is inaccurate.

The number of cabins available at any given time is no where near a guessing game. NCL knows exactly how many cabins are available in real time. They also know the number of guests on each sailing. To suggest that no one (even NCL) can make a reliable estimate is more silliness.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

The problem with the available cabins methodology is that it fails to take into account the number of people that are IN a booked cabin. You could have a cruise where half of the cabins are not booked, but if the booked cabins all have 4 guests in them* then you are at 100% capacity.  Likewise, if every cabin on the ship was booked by a solo traveler, then the ship would only be at 50% capacity with no available cabins.

*(And yes, I know that not ALL cabins will have 4 guests...it is just an example...nothing more.)

There is some truth to considering this; however unless there are some very unique situations, I think it all averages out in the end.

57 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

But even that is missing important data.

Yes, it's missing a lot of important data.  That's why I used the word "bit".  In fact I used it twice.

saying "260 cabins I can book" doesn't mean anything without also having the total cabin count.

Well, that is NOT data that I would consider to be missing because it's very easy to find and assume that anyone looking into this would have equally easy access to it: 2043 staterooms. 

Not only that, but you still have to deal with venue capacity. Even on a ship sailing with less than 100% capacity, restaurants, bars, and other venues can be easily packed and overcrowded if large groups of people decide to go at the same time.

Yes, that's why I said "bit of an idea.  Just a bit."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Yes, it's missing a lot of important data.  That's why I used the word "bit".  In fact I used it twice.

Right, but I was commenting on one data point you provided...which is why I included that specific data point in quotes. My comment had nothing to do with the rest of your post, including the number of times you may have used a word.

Well, that is NOT data that I would consider to be missing because it's very easy to find and assume that anyone looking into this would have equally easy access to it: 2043 staterooms. 

Again...not really helpful. 2043 state rooms, but at what capacity? Studio cabins count as one and only hold 1 guest, while other cabins that count as one can hold many more guests. Cabin counts don't include current or potential occupancy information, and thus are basically useless.

Yes, that's why I said "bit of an idea.  Just a bit."

Again, not what I was commenting on, but you haven't demonstrated any correlation between "bit" and venue capacity...which is what I was talking about.

Just look around for cruise booking companies that allow you to book a specific cabin. I checked out our Nov sailing and many categories had 15 cabins available. Only half the Havens were booked. So, it will likely be a 60-75% full ship unless NCL has a fire sale, which they claim they won't do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Just look around for cruise booking companies that allow you to book a specific cabin. I checked out our Nov sailing and many categories had 15 cabins available. Only half the Havens were booked. So, it will likely be a 60-75% full ship unless NCL has a fire sale, which they claim they won't do.

Hi MarkandDonna,

For giggles, I just ran the numbers for 11/3 Epic for you. The site I'm using maxes out at 100 cabins per category (not 15 per category). That means if there are 100 cabins showing there might be exactly 100 rooms remaining, or 300 rooms remaining. I think it's safe to assume that when the program shows 100 cabins available, in actuality there are more.

Inside cabins IB = 15 cabins

Inside IA cabin = 100 cabins

Inside IC  = 18

Family Inside = 42

Total Inside Available = 175 +

Balcony BA = 100 cabins

Balcony B4 = 100 Cabins

Large Balcony B6 = 28 cabins

Balcony BC = 98

Balcony BB = 88

Aft Balcony = 15

Total Balcony Available = 429 ++

Club Balcony MB = 38

Club Balcony MA  = 18

Spa club balcony = 3

Total Club Balcony = 59

Haven H9 = 3

Haven HC = 5

Haven H6 = 27

Total Haven still available = 35

GRAND TOTAL = 700 (plus) cabins still available to book.

The Epic has about 1,900 cabins which puts the current occupancy less than 50%. 

30 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Epic has about 1,900 cabins which puts the current occupancy less than 50%

I'm a wee bit confused. If there are 1,900 cabins on Epic, though cruisedeckplans.com states 2,114 (https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/wiki.php?ship=Norwegian-Epic)...but let's go with 1,900. 

1,900/2=950. If there are 700 cabins available (yes I understand more could be available), wouldn't that put occupancy around 63% (math assumes 700 cabins and 1,900 cabins)? 

Using the 2,114 cabin number would put occupancy at 67%, rather than 63% with another few weeks to sell cabins. 

I'd think occupancy is likely over 50%, but not at the numbers above since it assumes exactly 700 unsold cabins, and we all know there are likely more than this unsold. 

I know I'm being extremely picky right now, but isn't that what Cruise Critic is for?

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

So, it will likely be a 60-75% full ship unless NCL has a fire sale, which they claim they won't do.

I think you're close to correct on where the ship will wind up, though will any of us really know? My math above is shaky, at best. Well...the math is right, but the numbers used are probably wrong (especially 700 as it's likely more)...NCL would never have a fire sale. Would they? Frankie boy sure does tell us they won't, but we all know the truth. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
incorrect quote
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm a wee bit confused. If there are 1,900 cabins on Epic, though cruisedeckplans.com states 2,114 (https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/wiki.php?ship=Norwegian-Epic)...but let's go with 1,900. 

1,900/2=950. If there are 700 cabins available (yes I understand more could be available), wouldn't that put occupancy around 63% (math assumes 700 cabins and 1,900 cabins)? 

Using the 2,114 cabin number would put occupancy at 67%, rather than 63% with another few weeks to sell cabins. 

I'd think occupancy is likely over 50%, but not at the numbers above since it assumes exactly 700 unsold cabins, and we all know there are likely more than this unsold. 

I know I'm being extremely picky right now, but isn't that what Cruise Critic is for?

I think you're close to correct on where the ship will wind up, though will any of us really know? My math above is shaky, at best. Well...the math is right, but the numbers used are probably wrong (especially 700 as it's likely more)...NCL would never have a fire sale. Would they? Frankie boy sure does tell us they won't, but we all know the truth. 

Picky is good ... no argument from me. :). I'd rather deal with as accurate figures as possible since some on here keep insisting that fall sailings are at full (which is just plain silly).

I was totally estimating at the end anyway lol.

But you hit the nail on the head. We really don't know how many cabins are still available since 3 categories are showing "at least' 100. To me, that is A LOT of availability on a November sailing.

I think I'm in the ballpark at 50%. Bottom line; I'd be surprised if it sails at anything higher than 65%. That's my number and I'm sticking with it lol. 

Note: I am not the author of the 2nd quote above. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

So, the answer to the original post is NO.  It is all a guessing game.  And what is the prize if you guess right?  And how disappointed should you be if you guess wrong? Cannot wait until next month when someone else ask the same question, but in a different way.

10 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

So, the answer to the original post is NO.  It is all a guessing game.  And what is the prize if you guess right?  And how disappointed should you be if you guess wrong? Cannot wait until next month when someone else ask the same question, but in a different way.

Incorrect. We answered the OP's question. No guessing involved. There are approximately 250 cabins still available on her sailing. We can't tell the difference between cabins booked as solo vs more than 2 in a cabin, but I'd wager big bucks that it's a wash. 

Occupancy rates are important to many people for a variety of reasons. 

13 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

I think the above researchers are pretty much on target with this cruise being researched. Add to their data is the fact that these cruises tend to be couples booking just two people per cabin. Very few children as it is not a Med. beach cruise and the ports are generally very historical and most are in school anyway. Also, our CC and FB roll calls are pretty thin and not many have recently joined.  

The good news is that I can let you know when I return in late Nov!  Thanks so much, Bermuda Bound!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pickle11 said:

There is no way to find out.  And I still do not understand why a ships occupancy is now a major concern ever since cruising has restarted.  Seems to be a topic every other week.  I have never booked a cruise considering a ships occupancy percentage.  I always prepare for a full ship with long lines and rude cruisers.  And will still have a fantastic time.  Off to Mexico next week on Celebrity.

It is more of a curiosity thing. Since prior to the pandemic, it was never an question, ships were always sailing full. Now there is the new novelty of sailing with less passengers, meaning less crowded. A nice thought but never a condition for booking a cruise (at least not for me). We are off to Spain in just a little over 3 weeks and will have a great time no matter what.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi MarkandDonna,

For giggles, I just ran the numbers for 11/3 Epic for you. The site I'm using maxes out at 100 cabins per category (not 15 per category). That means if there are 100 cabins showing there might be exactly 100 rooms remaining, or 300 rooms remaining. I think it's safe to assume that when the program shows 100 cabins available, in actuality there are more.

Inside cabins IB = 15 cabins

Inside IA cabin = 100 cabins

Inside IC  = 18

Family Inside = 42

Total Inside Available = 175 +

Balcony BA = 100 cabins

Balcony B4 = 100 Cabins

Large Balcony B6 = 28 cabins

Balcony BC = 98

Balcony BB = 88

Aft Balcony = 15

Total Balcony Available = 429 ++

Club Balcony MB = 38

Club Balcony MA  = 18

Spa club balcony = 3

Total Club Balcony = 59

Haven H9 = 3

Haven HC = 5

Haven H6 = 27

Total Haven still available = 35

The Epic has about 1,900 cabins which puts the current occupancy less than 50%. 

Hi, how did you get this info, please can you point an English man in the right direction so I can look up my cruise? Thank you 🙏 

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I think the above researchers are pretty much on target with this cruise being researched. Add to their data is the fact that these cruises tend to be couples booking just two people per cabin. Very few children as it is not a Med. beach cruise and the ports are generally very historical and most are in school anyway. Also, our CC and FB roll calls are pretty thin and not many have recently joined.  

The good news is that I can let you know when I return in late Nov!  Thanks so much, Bermuda Bound!

So the question has been answered.  No need for anymore guesses.  Hope the OP has a fun cruise.

17 hours ago, kdpatte said:

no matter what I search for I can't figure out the NH website.  Any way to get another clue?

The one ive used since 2018 and has helped me with upgrade advantage, just google cruise travel agencies on NH the one with the city starting with M is the that shows up to 100 per sub category, Happy Sailing

On 9/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, krittykat said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. It no longer gives the ability to choose a cabin in any category. Only treats  it like a guarantee cabin. So no way to tell.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:05 AM, cruiserbear55 said:

Didn't realize NCL wasn't showing open cabins any longer. Last time I did a mock booking, three months or so ago, open cabins were still listed. Av8torcrj is correct in the site they mention still shows available cabins. Don't know why NCL would stop showing them. We've always enjoyed the selection process. Picking a cabin from the list and then going to Cruise Decks.com and seeing what is above and below the recommended cabin, then making a decision as to whether it would be a good cabin "fit" or not. Obviously, will now have to win the lottery and just book the Garden Villa!!

Can't you normally click on (in very small lettering) when it has assigned you a cabin, "I need a different stateroom" - that normally then brings you to cabin selection.  Awful design.

18 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

The one ive used since 2018 and has helped me with upgrade advantage, just google cruise travel agencies on NH the one with the city starting with M is the that shows up to 100 per sub category, Happy Sailing

Still too cryptic for me anyway.  You live in Manchester by any chance 🙂  

searching for cruise travel agencies in NH has lots of results, and for me, no obvious city starting with M...

Edited by podgeandrodge

56 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Can't you normally click on (in very small lettering) when it has assigned you a cabin, "I need a different stateroom" - that normally then brings you to cabin selection.  Awful design.

Normally, yes but it is no longer an available option for my cabin class and quite a few other cabin classes on the NCL site for my cruise (we are now only 24 days out from the cruise).  It is an option still for oceanview and inside cabins.    I am thinking NCL has removed this option for higher cabins, just for this reason.

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Still too cryptic for me anyway.  You live in Manchester by any chance 🙂  

searching for cruise travel agencies in NH has lots of results, and for me, no obvious city starting with M...

You live in NH?  So lucky for you.   I just love the architecture and when you combine it with a gorgeous fall day and some foliage, just gorgeous.  Sort of like this picture taken on Rt 25 in Moultonborough.  Hopefully you can zoom in and see the gorgeous detail.

image.png.77f22a7315d37a7a62c4a820912c25fc.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3