Solo price - can this be right?

Bajanswife

There's a cruise I was looking at that costs around $700 for 2 people in an ocean view, and $1,000 for 1 person in the same cabin!! How the heck can that be right? 

If I decided to book for 2 and then cancelled or "no showed" the second person, would I have to pay the difference, or would they let the original price stand? Who would ever book that cruise solo?

Is the double cabin a guarantee?

It is common that gty cabins are not offered to solos.  When that happens, not only must the solo pay a single supplement but must do so on a higher base rate, resulting in the pattern you describe.  It might happen other times, but that is the most common circumstance.

Is it right?  Well, it does not seem right to me, but RCI has not asked my opinion.

If that cruise were booked as a double, and only one person showed up, eventually one set of taxes and port fees would be refunded.  Also, if that cruise were booked as a double, there is typically no charge to change the name of the second person on the reservation, so if circumstances change you could take a friend or relative.

If you book as a double and the second person is a no show, a recent rule says you do not get the extra C&A points like a true solo booking.

53 minutes ago, Bajanswife said:

If I decided to book for 2 and then cancelled or "no showed" the second person, would I have to pay the difference, or would they let the original price stand?

Who would ever book that cruise solo?

No price adjustment for a no show (don't cancel them) - you'll get the taxes back for the second person.

Someone who doesn't know to use a dummy second person or can't be bothered to ask here. 

Possibly the double was a "guarantee" cabin, so the base rate was lower to begin with - I didn't go any further through the booking process to see the details. I suppose if you didn't want a guarantee your price for a double would go up and not be less than a single, but for those who are willing to take the guarantee cabin it's a terrible price for a single! 

58 minutes ago, Bajanswife said:

Possibly the double was a "guarantee" cabin, so the base rate was lower to begin with - I didn't go any further through the booking process to see the details. I suppose if you didn't want a guarantee your price for a double would go up and not be less than a single, but for those who are willing to take the guarantee cabin it's a terrible price for a single! 

That solos often do not qualify for gty rates on Royal is a long standing issue; at least you now know to watch out for it.