Easing of Canadian entry requirement expected by the end of September.

GeorgeCharlie

The expected relaxation of COVID-19 requirements appears to be coming. An article in The Globe and Mail outlines what they feel is going to happen.

"The federal government plans to drop the COVID-19 vaccine requirement for people who enter Canada by the end of September, the same day it ends random testing of arrivals and makes optional the ArriveCan app, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The changes, for arrivals at land, air and sea ports of entry, are planned for Sept. 30, but have yet to be finalized by cabinet, according to four sources The Globe is not naming because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The mask requirement for people on trains and planes will remain in place, at the direction of Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, according to two of the sources.

The aviation and travel industries have been pushing the government to relax the rules that cover international travel, saying they discourage visitors and are out of step with many other countries as the pandemic eases.

The United States requires all entrants to be vaccinated, and it is not known if the requirement will be lifted at the same time as Canada’s."

Canada to make ArriveCan optional, drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement at the border by Sept. 30: sources - The Globe and Mail

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

This does not mean that the vaccination and testing requirements for cruises will also be lifted. 

Possibly not, and the whole issue still needs to be finalized by cabinet, but the sources do indicate that sea ports are included in the planned changes. 

The changes, for arrivals at land, air and sea ports of entry, are planned for Sept. 30,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those that have perhaps not following along as closely, the rules for cruise ships have been different then those arriving “by sea”.  

Those arriving by sea are personal pleasure crafts, ferries, and cargo ships… cruise ships are separate rules, regardless of the ordinary meaning of the words “by sea”…

So perhaps the cruise rules will be changing at the same time, but if I was a betting man, I say the cruise rules will be in place until November when the Eastern Canada fall cruises are complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Possibly not, and the whole issue still needs to be finalized by cabinet, but the sources do indicate that sea ports are included in the planned changes. 

The changes, for arrivals at land, air and sea ports of entry, are planned for Sept. 30,

The requirements for testing and vaccination aboard cruise ships is covered under a ministerial order. I believe that is independent of the Order in Council that provides authorization for mandatory ArriveCAN submissions and vaccinations.

Edited by broberts

4 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

For those that have perhaps not following along as closely, the rules for cruise ships have been different then those arriving “by sea”.  

There seems to be a lot of confusion between the requirements to enter Canada (of which ArriveCan is part) vs. requirements for cruise ships operating in Canada.  For example, the current requirement for a negative Covid test prior to boarding for cruises that operate in Canada is not an entry requirement - it's something that's required for all cruise ships operating in Canada regardless of whether or not you enter Canada during the cruise.  

• Thanks 1

Today's news that lifting of pandemic border measures will be signed-off next week, does not indicate anything about the requirement for pre-embarkation testing if embarking in Canada.  I seem to remember that cruise ships were covered under a separate Order as "Broberts" indicated above.  Hopefully, this will be addressed.

8 hours ago, netpj said:

Today's news that lifting of pandemic border measures will be signed-off next week, does not indicate anything about the requirement for pre-embarkation testing if embarking in Canada.  I seem to remember that cruise ships were covered under a separate Order as "Broberts" indicated above.  Hopefully, this will be addressed.

They current restrictions are implemented through an order in council (basically cabinet votes on it and the GG signs).  When they were enacted they had midnight on the 29th as the expiry.  The feds are going to let the order expire.   That covers what happens at the border and what the customs people do.

The way things work for airlines and cruise ships, is the operator has to prepare a safety plan and associated procedures that are specific to the way they operate the ship.  That manual is submitted to Transport Canada ahead of time, reviewed and approved as being compliant and acceptable.  The ministerial order defines what the government is expecting to see in the manual.  Then going forward they are following that manual on a day to day basis.  The testing requirements, how they handle and offload people who test positive, how they transfer patients to hospital or quarantine hotels.  That is all in each of the cruise line individual manuals.    They have to put all of that in before the start of the season.  Some of the lines may try to revise their manuals before the end of the season, but I would be surprised.   I think that is something that will happen for next year.  

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 2

Looking for some information. I tested positive for Covid (masked throughout) on a Celebrity cruise three days before we ended the cruise in Vancouver with 55 others. I was told by the cruise Covid coordinator that we would have to remain in Canada for a period of ten days post day 0 the day I tested.

We are in Canada now. We are American citizens and were tod the first time we can fly out is Oct 1 after quarantine. The Canadian government tells people who were positive with no symptoms that they can return to work after day 5. We are trying to figure out whose law this is. Does anyone on this board know. All we have is a contact with the cruise operator.

Just trying to get the facts straight.

Thank You,

Karen

Edited by renroc13

5 hours ago, renroc13 said:

Looking for some information. I tested positive for Covid (masked throughout) on a Celebrity cruise three days before we ended the cruise in Vancouver with 55 others. I was told by the cruise Covid coordinator that we would have to remain in Canada for a period of ten days post day 0 the day I tested.

We are in Canada now. We are American citizens and were tod the first time we can fly out is Oct 1 after quarantine. The Canadian government tells people who were positive with no symptoms that they can return to work after day 5. We are trying to figure out whose law this is. Does anyone on this board know. All we have is a contact with the cruise operator.

Thank You,

Karen

I think your main concern is the travel requirements to re-enter the USA. The CDC has an online assessment tool to help you determine the date you can end your quarantine and re-enter USA https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html

5 hours ago, renroc13 said:

Thank You,

Karen

Guidelines for returning to work have little to do with cruise ship passengers.

Rules for cruise ship passengers that test positive for COVID are detailed at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#symptoms.

Since you tested positive on the cruise the isolation period is 10 days. As noted in the link, had you not tested positive on the cruise but after disembarking, the isolation period would be set by local public health authorities.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, renroc13 said:

Thank You,

Karen

Hopefully the cruise line is covering the quarantine costs and they set you up in a half decent hotel.

Staying in quarantine for 10 days should avoid infecting others on the flight and once you get home family, friends and co-workers.

What your seeing here is the weird division of powers we have in Canada.  The federal government has responsibility to regulate to border entry, and inter-provincial transportation and international transport.  Cruise lines and airlines  fall into that.  They are saying 10 days.  

With some very limited exceptions the feds don't have responsibility for local health and worker safety.  Each province establishes the rules there and they are saying 5 days.

I believe the US government also has some rules about people entering the US.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Hopefully the cruise line is covering the quarantine costs and they set you up in a half decent hotel.

Staying in quarantine for 10 days should avoid infecting others on the flight and once you get home family, friends and co-workers.

What your seeing here is the weird division of powers we have in Canada.  The federal government has responsibility to regulate to border entry, and inter-provincial transportation and international transport.  Cruise lines and airlines  fall into that.  They are saying 10 days.  

With some very limited exceptions the feds don't have responsibility for local health and worker safety.  Each province establishes the rules there and they are saying 5 days.

I believe the US government also has some rules about people entering the US.

That makes it more understandable to me. Thank you. The US? We have different rules every three blocks. Not what it used to be. Covid has split our country so……sadly.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Along with relaxation of border restrictions announced today, including there no longer being a requirement to be vaccinated or use ArriveCan, the Canadian government also announced that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests or be vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

Along with relaxation of border restrictions announced today, including there no longer being a requirement to be vaccinated or use ArriveCan, the Canadian government also announced that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests or be vaccinated.

The following was a press release issued an hour ago from the Gov't of Canada ... more updates on travel effective Oct. 1, 2022:

Government of Canada just announced the following new restrictions on travel that are being lifted effective October 1, 2022.

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to: 

• undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or
  • wear masks on planes and trains.

Although the masking requirement is being lifted, all travellers are strongly recommended to wear high quality and well-fitted masks during their journeys.

The Government of Canada also reminds travellers to make informed decisions when considering travel outside of Canada to protect their health and safety. They are encouraged to review the travel health notices at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories for more information on safe travel.

Edited by NWT Cruiser

21 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

Do you have a link?

14 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

The following was a press release issued an hour ago from the Gov't of Canada ... more updates on travel effective Oct. 1, 2022:

Government of Canada just announced the following new restrictions on travel that are being lifted effective October 1, 2022.

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to: 

• undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or
  • wear masks on planes and trains.

Although the masking requirement is being lifted, all travellers are strongly recommended to wear high quality and well-fitted masks during their journeys.

The Government of Canada also reminds travellers to make informed decisions when considering travel outside of Canada to protect their health and safety. They are encouraged to review the travel health notices at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories for more information on safe travel.

Nothing in the bullets mentions cruise ships.

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

Do you have a link?

The bulletin, which can be found at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html  states the following:

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, broberts said:

Do you have a link?

Here is the link to Government of Canada news release

As stated in the release: "Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN."