Pineapples

jimbo1683

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, downundermatt said:

I knew nothing about pineapples - til

last cruise I was wearing a shirt covered in pineapples and a straight couple tried to pick me up …..

As a relatively young solo cruiser this happens to me at least once every cruise, even without any fruity displays. I always just laugh it off 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 1:57 PM, jimbo1683 said:

So, I just read an article about upside down pineapples on cabin doors. Are they used for straights only? What's the gay version?

In the hetero world, an upside-down pineapple indicates to 'those who know' that there are swingers present. Apparently very effective on cruise ships. They put decorations on their doors, wear an enamel pin on a collar, or clothes with pineapples... although that is easily confusing.

Gay men, at some point, have used pink flamingos. But they are also easily confusing because it is not as commonly used. Heteros have also appropriated the flamingos.

Is anyone here aware of a subtle, physical symbol of being gay and interested in hooking up... say on a cruise ship?

I've Googled it and decided I needed help from 'those who know.'

So...if you see a guy with an upside down pineapple by himself...is he approachable? Or do you both have to be wearing said updise down pineapple?

If you wear an upside down pineapple will people know and point at you?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Royal Caribbean's loyalty program has a top tier called Pinnacle. Its members are often referred to as 'Pineapples' - less 'suggestive' (as per this thread) more a term of derision.

So as a Pinnacle, in self mockery, I have a Hawaiian shirt with pineapples pointing to every conceivable point of the compass but have never been propositioned by anyone of any proclivities - dammit.

I've never seen the handkerchief code in use in a sauna, but there is the towel code of course.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I think with Grindr being so popular gay guys don't need pineapples or any other symbols. For straight swingers maybe theres no app that allows them to easily meet on a cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 8:11 PM, Obobru said:

I think with Grindr being so popular gay guys don't need pineapples or any other symbols. For straight swingers maybe theres no app that allows them to easily meet on a cruise. 

Grindr doesn’t work so well with cruise ship Wi-Fi…

…I’ve heard.

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

It all depends on which side of your body, and front or rear, you overlap and tie the knot in the towel and how tight, or loose, the knot is.

Regards,

Cublet

OMG, I am going to have to Google this so that I don't give the wrong signal the next time I innocently wrap a towel around my waist.  First I have heard of this....  but then I have been off the market for a few decades.

• 2 weeks later...