Embarkation on Mardi Gras. Slow or Quick Process?

melz1010

Last year I went on the Vista for Christmas and opted for Earliest possible check-in and found it to be such a breeze that next time I want to check in early if I can help it. This year Christmas, we're cruising on Mardi Gras. Is embarkation a quick and smooth process or will it be extremely long wait lines and over an hour to get on the ship? Do you recommend an early check-in time or is later the way to go. The ship leaves port at 4pm, when is the latest to check-in. We're going December 2022. 

We have been on Mardi Gras twice, and our embarkation was okay both times (but not my favorite).  We had a 10:00 - 10:30 Arrival Appointment time, with A01 boarding group. When you get there that early, you usually end up waiting with a huge crowd in the boarding area waiting room (but the check in lines go quickly).

Both times we were there, the PA system was terrible (could not understand the announcements at all).  So each time a boarding group was called, a crowd would rush towards the boarding area, then after clarifying which group they were calling for, they'd ask people to sit back down again.  It was kind of tedious.  Finally they stated holding up signs (specifying which boarding group they were calling).

Unless you are in a suite - if that's the case it's fine.  The guests in suites have their own waiting area and a staff person goes and gathers everybody from that room first and shows them to the boarding area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

We have been on Mardi Gras twice, and our embarkation was okay both times (but not my favorite).  We had a 10:00 - 10:30 Arrival Appointment time, with A01 boarding group. When you get there that early, you usually end up waiting with a huge crowd in the boarding area waiting room (but the check in lines go quickly).

Both times we were there, the PA system was terrible (could not understand the announcements at all).  So each time a boarding group was called, a crowd would rush towards the boarding area, then after clarifying which group they were calling for, they'd ask people to sit back down again.  It was kind of tedious.  Finally they stated holding up signs (specifying which boarding group they were calling).

Unless you are in a suite - if that's the case it's fine.  The guests in suites have their own waiting area and a staff person goes and gathers everybody from that room first and shows them to the boarding area.

Do you know if there is a separate line or check in for suite guests before you go to the suite waiting area?

12 hours ago, DanOO said:

Do you know if there is a separate line or check in for suite guests before you go to the suite waiting area?

There was not a separate check in for suites however once you clear check in and security and proceed to the waiting area you can not miss the area that suites wait in and there were two ladies at the entrance to verify that you were in a suite

11 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

There was not a separate check in for suites however once you clear check in and security and proceed to the waiting area you can not miss the area that suites wait in and there were two ladies at the entrance to verify that you were in a suite

When I checked in for Liberty in late June, I recall there being a separate Suite line on the walkways to the terminal.  Was I right or dreaming?

Depends on the week.  We went last December and it was the worst I've ever experienced.  We arrived dead on time for our noon boarding to find the line out of the terminal doors, down the front sidewalk and all the way to the service road for the construction next door.  It took right at an hour to make it in the terminal doors and another 45 minutes to get through the check-in process.  I never heard what happened but it was terrible.  I couldn't imagine if there had been bad weather or it was a summer sailing.

• Like 1

Embarkation went fairly smooth.  We had 10:30 check in and arrived around 10:20.  We went right in through the check in process.  Others with a later check in (11:00) had to wait outside and were not being allowed to enter.  When we got to the waiting area they had not started boarding... boarding started shortly after 11.  We had boarding group B12.  Once they started boarding they called a new boarding group every couple of minutes or so.  Once you group is called you get on another line that moves fairly quickly.

• Like 1

We sailed her in late July and it wasn’t bad at all. Our boarding time was 10:00 and the check in process went really fast. We were through the check in and waiting in our seats by 10:15. The only thing that irritated us was waiting till 11 to board. Since we are platinum and in the first boarding group we got on fairly quickly and the line was very fast. They called our group and by 11:07 we were enjoying our first drink by the pool. I would say arriving at 10:30 would be the ideal time to check in. There would be less of a wait. And it’s before the mad rush between 11:00 and 1:00 when it’s the busiest and everyone’s dying to get on board. I think the second best boarding time would be after 1:00 when the crowds have thinned out. I’ve done this time on many ships and just practically walked right on board. Of course all of these times depend on what check in time you snag. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, RickAinley said:

When I checked in for Liberty in late June, I recall there being a separate Suite line on the walkways to the terminal.  Was I right or dreaming?

I don't know about the Liberty but when we checked in (suite) there was nothing for those in suites as far as check in until we completed everything and then told to proceed to the glassed in area where we waited until boarding began. They did check our boarding passes to see that we had a suite and we were first to board. When we went out on the Magic a month later (not same terminal as Mardi Gras) it was the same except we were told to go up stairs and they sat us in the front section of chairs for suites followed by Diamonds once again first to board.  The only problem with boarding for  Mardi Gras was that people were gathering at the entrance point to boarding rather than waiting for their numbers to be called and it was difficult from what our friends told us to hear what numbers were being called. It was a very quick process most of the time was spent waiting for them to start boarding

Edited by dbrucern
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:21 PM, melz1010 said:

Last year I went on the Vista for Christmas and opted for Earliest possible check-in and found it to be such a breeze that next time I want to check in early if I can help it. This year Christmas, we're cruising on Mardi Gras. Is embarkation a quick and smooth process or will it be extremely long wait lines and over an hour to get on the ship? Do you recommend an early check-in time or is later the way to go. The ship leaves port at 4pm, when is the latest to check-in. We're going December 2022. 

It was very quick and easy.  I always like to get on early so I really don't care how long I have to wait.  The chairs are comfortable that you wait in.  As long as you keep in mind there is no way for Carnival to have it go smooth every time because there are about a thousand different things that are beyond there control that could cause a delay.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Does anyone recall what time boarding actually started? We have a suite, but are traveling with our kids for their first cruise. We just don’t want to pick a too early of an arrival time and sit forever. 

Varies week by week on every ship in the fleet.