Move to better room an option?

Libbyyell

I am about the book a room on a Holland America cruise northbound to Alaska.  The adage is that you book on the right side (starboard) going Northbound, but the Cruiseline doesn't show any rooms on the right (starboard side).  They are promoting a good deal right now and I want to book, but will I get an opportunity to change rooms once final payments are due and maybe some people don't end up going or am I stuck in the room I pick right now?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Libbyyell said:

I am about the book a room on a Holland America cruise northbound to Alaska.  The adage is that you book on the right side (starboard) going Northbound, but the Cruiseline doesn't show any rooms on the right (starboard side).  They are promoting a good deal right now and I want to book, but will I get an opportunity to change rooms once final payments are due and maybe some people don't end up going or am I stuck in the room I pick right now?

I suggest booking with a PCC, they make changes so much easier. You can move to a different room, before Final Payment Date (and maybe after), BUT the fare MAY be recalculated at the current rate, defeating the purpose.

There is very little difference side to side in Alaska: either views are either/both sides, or the view is water! If you are going to have a balcony ("verandah" in HAL speak), northbound starboard with have morning sun if that makes a difference to you. ETA: and the port side will have afternoon sun and sunsets!

What cruise/ship/class of cabin are you looking at?

Edited by crystalspin

Thanks Crystal and RKA!  I appreciate your answers! And makes me feel better.  I ended up booking online w/Princess.  No PCC.   Though one did contact me right after I booked.  Maybe I can transfer to her.  It's worth a try.  Again, thank you!!!!

21 hours ago, Libbyyell said:

I ended up booking online w/Princess.  No PCC.   Though one did contact me right after I booked.  Maybe I can transfer to her.  It's worth a try. 

I think Princess calls their agents PVP (Personal Vacation Planners). Once you have booked, you are assigned to one. I don't think you need to transfer anything, just start communicating with yours. 

I have a PVP even though I've never managed to sail with Princess! Mine drops me an email once a month or so and even has her own Facebook page. So return the call or email and you can make any changes through that person, usually just easier.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1