Can I Bring This Onboard?

danny8826

We will be on the Discovery Princess during Christmas.  It boards from San Pedro in the LA area, but we have a strange question to ask the community.  

While we are in LA, we wanted to buy some beef jerk.  We love a particular place that sell them down there and can't find them in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Are we allowed to bring these onboard with us?  We are buying them as gifts for relatives.  

Thank you,

Danny

We brought on smoked salmon from a port in Alaska and I always bring nuts and snacks for our room.  I don't think you would have a problem.  Usually the only issue with food is entering the country with food that isn't packaged, like fruits and vegetables or raw meat. 

6 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I brought on beef jerky in April....2 pkg worth.   Both were sealed/unopened.    I brought them on in my carry on.

3 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We brought on smoked salmon from a port in Alaska and I always bring nuts and snacks for our room.  I don't think you would have a problem.  Usually the only issue with food is entering the country with food that isn't packaged, like fruits and vegetables or raw meat. 

Thank you both.  These will be sealed.  Basically they have a full store worth of all different kinds in term of taste and flavor. You pick how much you want and they seal them.  

4 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you both.  These will be sealed.  Basically they have a full store worth of all different kinds in term of taste and flavor. You pick how much you want and they seal them.  

I thought you were referring to Jambel's Jerk Pit in San Pedro. I'd be interested to know the place.

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

You could bring on a raw porterhouse steak if you really wanted to.

The point, as I see it, is that every ounce of food you bring aboard is an ounce they don't have to feed you.

So they're happy to have you bring on almost anything that doesn't represent a health threat.

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danny8826 said:

We will be on the Discovery Princess during Christmas.  It boards from San Pedro in the LA area, but we have a strange question to ask the community.  

While we are in LA, we wanted to buy some beef jerk.  We love a particular place that sell them down there and can't find them in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Are we allowed to bring these onboard with us?  We are buying them as gifts for relatives.  

Thank you,

Danny

Of course you can.  If it is locally made, as are many of the Asian style jerky it may be made is small quantities for local distribution.  There used to be places in San Francisco's Chinatown that did that, don't know if any are still around (anywhere in the City.)  Oddly enough, Costco (!), is starting to stock items from the SoCal Asian communities.

19 hours ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you,

Danny

Have you looked in the Little Saigon neighborhood in San Jose?  There are Vietnamese shopping malls there and you should be able to find this there.  Seems like you can find almost anything there (they claim to have the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam). Anyway, a little closer to home for you!