Why try Norwegian

Turk1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:10 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

If I'm not mistaken The Waterfront is on all Breakaway Class ships and newer.

Since you love the Waterfront so much, you'll really enjoy Ocean Blvd on the Prima Class.  It's over twice the size and goes 360° all the way around the ship, unlike the Waterfront, which is narrower and only covers about 2/3 of the ship.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:22 AM, Crazy planning mom said:

Lots of people enjoy these activities.  The OP was asking why people pick NCL.  This wasn't an NCL v. Celebrity thread.

Since this topic is on the NCL thread, obviously the majority of posters are going to be defending NCL's policies and procedures since that's where their loyalties are and they will defend the decisions made by the bean counters of their cruise line of choice.

This same exact scenario would happen on the RCI boards or MSC or Carnival.  There will be a minority of posters that have multiple cruises on various lines that can give their unbiased opinion as to why this line is better than that line because of a particular aspect.  Those who have blinders on don't have this first hand knowledge of the various lines.  You also can't write off an entire line because of one bad experience but many people do.  There are variances from line to line and also from ship to ship within each line.  You can't assume that the experience is going to be the same on a new ship versus one that is 25 years old, and this goes for all of the mass market lines.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:58 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

Because again we don’t need to know, is our choice. We like where we are, we enjoy the itineraries and why do we need to go somewhere else if we are ok where we are for now, does that mean we won’t somewhere else? Absolutely not it just means as long as NCL has the itineraries we like we will continue to sail with them. 

Cruisers like yourself that have blinders on are what the bean counters and stock holders like.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Scheduled to sail on NCL Jade on bucket list itinerary this month and then booked on Celebrity Apex.  Also planning to sail on Oasis of the Seas with friends.

Did 12 days on the Apex in January and 12 on the Oasis in June.  Had a great time on both cruises even though we passed on the alcohol package on the Oasis because of RCI's dynamic pricing policy that made it cost prohibitive.

• Like 2

OP asked "Where does NCL fall price wise compared to say Princess and RCL? Best cabin type?".    Does anyone have any recommendations on the best cabin type?

I prefer at least a balcony on NCL has the insides and OV's don't have couches and I enjoy having the extra sitting room. 

• Like 1

Every cruise line I've sailed (5 different lines, to date) have their own pricing schemes.  It's tough to compare apples to apples.  I do like Celebrity.  And, I do like their "everything is free" pricing.  They do included tips along with the other perks.  But, their fares are generally higher, too.

NCL does have the service charges, nominal excursion credits, narrow internet usage.  But, their fares are overall less than Celebrity, too.

Sail NCL.  IF you like it, you've got a new cruise alternative.  At the very least, you'll have a good time, regardless of your cruise preferences.

• Like 3

We’re in our early 70s and finding Princess is becoming our default cruise line, especially when it comes to 3-5 week cruises. However, we have an NCL 38-day B2B cruise coming up on the Jade starting in early November which takes us from Athens through the Suez Canal to Dubai and then down the east coast of Africa to Cape Town. We’re also hoping to book a 21-day B2B out of Reykjavik to include visiting Longyearbyen as well as a number of Norway, Greenland and Iceland ports once NCL posts their summer 2024 itineraries for that area.

So we’re curious, what other potentially awesome 3-5 week NCL B2B cruise combinations are lingering out there that might entice us to book more NCL cruises on their smaller ships?

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

OMG, this thread is really a mess.

We have cruised on most of the major cruise lines over the past 30 years - Royal, NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, MSC and Costa. Haven't been on Carnival. Our criteria has always been who has the ports we want to go to when we can to go, at the best value. We are willing to spend a little more for several of these lines. For us that is the value portion. We have stayed in inside, OV and several types of balconies. With covid we are willing to spend the extra dollars to upgrade to a balcony to have our own outside space. We have absolutely no interest in the Haven or similar set ups on other lines. Are not willing to spend the extra dollars, would prefer to take another cruise.

Each line has it's own strengths and weaknesses. All are pretty similar and offer cabins with entertainment, drinks and food - some better than others . Some ships have nicer outdoor spaces than others - but that depends on what you find important. We could care less about the zip lines, race tracks, etc. We tend to like smaller, older ships, but have also sailed on some larger newer ships. I have enjoyed every cruise I have been on. No one can decide what anyone else will like or what is important to them. The only way to figure it out is to try something new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So we’re curious, what other potentially awesome 3-5 week NCL B2B cruise combinations are lingering out there that might entice us to book more NCL cruises on their smaller ships?

I was just looking at 2024 Africa cruises. There's some good options if you wanted to continue your journey up the West coast in early 2024 on the Dawn. Considering the number of days, the prices weren't bad at all.

• Thanks 1