advise on Mendenhall Glacier - 3 options to choose from.

Taykee1

My husband and I are looking to go to Mendenhall Glacier on our stop to Juneau. I have 3 options.

1st is to book with the cruise which  is for 3.5 hours. I now this one will guarantee us a seat on the bus. 

2nd is to book the combined Glacier and Gold Belt Tram with the cruise line for only 4 hours

3rd is to just book the bus from the Dock  - M & M Blue bus and then to the Gold Belt tram when we return.

So with 1st option has anyone done this and approx once travel time taken out how long do you get at the Glacier, we are fairly fit and fast walkers so I am assuming we would only need 1 to 1 1/2 hours there. We would only walk to Nugget Falls and then to viewing deck, and possibly  have a look at the visitors centre.

With option 2 would this not give us enough time as I am assuming we would require an hour up on the top of the Gold Belt tram (basically just want the views no need to be doing any of the walks up there). So my concern is would this only give us maximum an hour at the Glacier and if so would this be long enough.

Option 3 has anyone just bought a tour with the blue bus from the dock, which I know runs every 30 min, and been able to hope straight on the bus or are the lines long and we may have to wait for the next bus. Don't fancy standing in a bus line for 30 min. I sort of feel if no queues this may be the one for us as we can spend as much or as little time at the Glacier. Then return and go straight up the on the Tram.

we will be on the Discovery which docks from 12.30pm to 9pm. 

Any help appreciated. 

11 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

My husband and I are looking to go to Mendenhall Glacier on our stop to Juneau. I have 3 options.

1st is to book with the cruise which  is for 3.5 hours. I now this one will guarantee us a seat on the bus. 

2nd is to book the combined Glacier and Gold Belt Tram with the cruise line for only 4 hours

3rd is to just book the bus from the Dock  - M & M Blue bus and then to the Gold Belt tram when we return.

So with 1st option has anyone done this and approx once travel time taken out how long do you get at the Glacier, we are fairly fit and fast walkers so I am assuming we would only need 1 to 1 1/2 hours there. We would only walk to Nugget Falls and then to viewing deck, and possibly  have a look at the visitors centre.

With option 2 would this not give us enough time as I am assuming we would require an hour up on the top of the Gold Belt tram (basically just want the views no need to be doing any of the walks up there). So my concern is would this only give us maximum an hour at the Glacier and if so would this be long enough.

Option 3 has anyone just bought a tour with the blue bus from the dock, which I know runs every 30 min, and been able to hope straight on the bus or are the lines long and we may have to wait for the next bus. Don't fancy standing in a bus line for 30 min. I sort of feel if no queues this may be the one for us as we can spend as much or as little time at the Glacier. Then return and go straight up the on the Tram.

we will be on the Discovery which docks from 12.30pm to 9pm. 

Any help appreciated. 

Have done this multiple times! Super easy and the bus driver will give some tips bits on the drive. No Need for a tour. 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

I know that the Blue Bus runs every 30 minutes and maybe I'm being obtuse, but how long does it take to get to the glacier from the cruise port?  Is it 30 minutes or longer?

Thanks so much. I'm trying to plan a whale watching tour along w/a glacier  tour and trying to figure out times. 

The Mendenhall glacier is much diminished.  We were there 5 times between 2005 and 2013 and that last time it was not really visible from the Visitors' Center (across the lake).  When my great aunt visited there in the 1920-30s, it came out the highway!  I think all those times we were there it barely made it to the lake.  A very big disappointment but it shows the result of global warming.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2022 at 2:00 PM, Libbyyell said:

I know that the Blue Bus runs every 30 minutes and maybe I'm being obtuse, but how long does it take to get to the glacier from the cruise port?  Is it 30 minutes or longer?

Thanks so much. I'm trying to plan a whale watching tour along w/a glacier  tour and trying to figure out times. 

Less than 30min each way. Plan for about 3 hrs total, this gives you time at the glacier visitor center and bussing back and forth.

Patty 

On 10/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, BarbinMich said:

The Mendenhall glacier is much diminished.  We were there 5 times between 2005 and 2013 and that last time it was not really visible from the Visitors' Center (across the lake).  When my great aunt visited there in the 1920-30s, it came out the highway!  I think all those times we were there it barely made it to the lake.  A very big disappointment but it shows the result of global warming.

I tend to agree with @BarbinMich. If you haven't whale watched or if something else interests you - I would do that instead.

Edited by Coral

On 10/6/2022 at 4:05 PM, BarbinMich said:

Sadly this is absolute truth! I have pics from my visits in 2010 & 2018 & 2019 the difference is shocking, in less than a decade! 

Patty 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, BarbinMich said:

And unfortunately every time we all cruise we are contributing greatly.