Help for Amsterdam hotels less then $300/night close to city center

Any recommendations for hotels in Amsterdam that are less then $300/night in the Dam area I believe. I am still doing a lot of research for where to go and where to stay when we arrive on our transatlantic cruise. Probably should have looked at all that first before booking the cruise but here I am. Thinking about stay 4 nights. 

any reviews are appreciated. Thank you

Closer to Centraal than Dam Plaza, but...

Hotel ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera. Currently listed at about $219. Small, simple rooms. Nice English breakfast (they get a fair number of Brits). Last time I was there, pre-pandemic, very nice people.

There's a Holiday Inn Express right next door at about the same rate. The rooms will be smaller than a US Holiday Inn Express.

I didn't dig deep enough to see if those were pre-paid rates. There's also a cluster of hotels near the Renaissance Amsterdam (currently just under $300) that are worth checking out. 

Look at either of the Stopera hotels on Google Maps and check out the area. It's a side street, kind of off the beaten path. The iBis had rooms overlooking the canal, although there wasn't much to see in that area. But it's close to everything. You don't need to be near the Dam; Amsterdam is one of easiest to visit cities in Europe. With their public transit system, everything is close, and a lot of things are very walkable.

Check a site like booking.com You can see which area the hotel is and at what rate. May is highseason in Amsterdam. Be aware May 4 is remembrance day of WWII. At Dam square that night at 8 pm the king, queen, government officials etc will  walk from the palace to the statue to put  Lots of people around. Also at that time there will be one minute silence in the whole of The Netherlands.

May 5th is Liberation day, again busy with  events taking place all over the country. 

Edited by Ine

Why do you want to be close to Dam Square? It’s just a square, and not a very beautiful one at all. Also as Ine stated, May 4 is Remembrance Day and the official remembrance ceremony takes place at Dam Square that evening. So it will be packed with people. 
As other posters have mentioned before, Amsterdam is a small and compact city and easy to walk around in. If you look at a map of Amsterdam you see a area filled with waterways and shaped like a horseshoe. Just to the south of that area is the Museum Square where you will find the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk museum. As long as you stay in or near the Canal Zone or the Museum Zone, you’re good to go. Be aware though that early May is absolute peak season for Amsterdam. Book your hotel ASAP. Prices will only go up. 

First thought when seeing this thread title: We certainly do have cheaper hotels than that! But as said as above, your dates are the difference.

Not that the 4th or 5th are significant travel dates for the Dutch but in Amsterdam centre it may cause a peak in lodging demand as described by the others.

OP: The evening on the 4th of May Nationale Dodenherdenking at 8pm on the Dam is something you can follow on TV in your hotel room. Almost anything closes early at 7pm, traffic will stop at 8pm, including Schiphol airport, the railways etc. It still gives me the chills and luckily most of us respect and honor this national tradition to remember those who lost their lives for our freedom. 

The 5th is a national holiday, and it's a festive one, whatever your plans are for that day; the national flag will fly everywhere and if you will visit any town there will be fairs, entertainment etc. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I like the hotels of the "Motel One" chain (not related to motel 6 - they are more boutique style). They have 2 hotels in Amsterdam city center.

Nova hotel is at your preferred location, Iron Horse, Hotel NH Amsterdam Centre, NH Hotel Museum Quarter, XO Hotel Van Gogh....

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - City Hall for 2 nights before our cruise and it was easy to get around in the city to restaurants , centraal station and other sights.  Previous 2 days we stayed at Waldorf Astoria on Hilton Honor points  close to museums and other sights.

Edited by ISLABONITA