No agreement between NCL & NYC

styxfire

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The examples you gave are not competitors like NCL and Cunard. It is one thing for a cruise line to partner with a complimentary partner like a railroad or an airline, but quite different with a competing cruise line.

I can book a flight on the jetBlue website from where I live to Columbus.  One leg is on jetBlue but the other is on American, yet they are certainly competitors in the overall market.  I see no reason why two cruise lines could not make similar arrangements if they felt it was in both of their interests.

31 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I can book a flight on the jetBlue website from where I live to Columbus.  One leg is on jetBlue but the other is on American, yet they are certainly competitors in the overall market.  I see no reason why two cruise lines could not make similar arrangements if they felt it was in both of their interests.

Although they are separate companies, JetBlue and AA  actually  have a formal business alliance in the Northeast and are not competitors in that market. It's very common for airlines to have codeshare alliances in order to provide their passengers with an easy seamless way to book destinations that they don't serve directly as well as earn frequent flier miles while flying on the partner airline. That type of alliance doesn't exist in the cruise industry.

Airlines are in the transportation business, so those partnerships make sense for them. Cruise lines are in the vacation business so those partnerships aren't as beneficial to them.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/JetBlue-and-American-Airlines-Partnership-Makes-it-Easier-Than-Ever-for-Customers-to-Return-to-Travel-with-Largest-Schedule-More-Benefits-and-a-Seamless-Travel-Experience-NET-ALP-07/default.aspx

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Although they are separate companies, JetBlue and AA  actually  have a formal business alliance in the Northeast and are not competitors in that market. It's very common for airlines to have codeshare alliances in order to provide their passengers with an easy seamless way to book destinations that they don't serve directly as well as earn frequent flier miles while flying on the partner airline. That type of alliance doesn't exist in the cruise industry.

Airlines are in the transportation business, so those partnerships make sense for them. Cruise lines are in the vacation business so those partnerships aren't as beneficial to them.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/JetBlue-and-American-Airlines-Partnership-Makes-it-Easier-Than-Ever-for-Customers-to-Return-to-Travel-with-Largest-Schedule-More-Benefits-and-a-Seamless-Travel-Experience-NET-ALP-07/default.aspx

Yes, I understand the NEA, JVs and alliances and how airlines are different, but I was just pointing out that I don't see any reason why cruise lines could not do something similar if they felt it was beneficial.  

57 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Yes, I understand the NEA, JVs and alliances and how airlines are different, but I was just pointing out that I don't see any reason why cruise lines could not do something similar if they felt it was beneficial.  

But that begs the question has this ever been done by cruise lines? As has been pointed out by @njhorseman the cruise lines are in a different situation and business model than airlines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But that begs the question has this ever been done by cruise lines? As has been pointed out by @njhorseman the cruise lines are in a different situation and business model than airlines.

I don't know but it is probably a lot less likely now with all of the consolidation.  If Cunard wanted to do a partnership to market a multi-cruise package they would not need NCL; they could just use one of the other Carnival brands and keep it more or less in-house.  

7 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I don't know but it is probably a lot less likely now with all of the consolidation.  If Cunard wanted to do a partnership to market a multi-cruise package they would not need NCL; they could just use one of the other Carnival brands and keep it more or less in-house.  

I don't even know if there have been partnerships between cruise lines in the same corporate structure, but at least those would make more sense than Cunard and NCL.