Any recent lost/delayed luggage issues?

SunnyNy

I'm considering using carry-on rather than checked luggage for a couple of upcoming trips.  I'd much prefer to check it, but obviously concerned about all the problems over the past few months.  I'm researching online, hoping to find if the situation is improving,  but I'm only finding old data from up to early Summer when things were really a mess.  Does anyone have recent information or experience with this?  And if your luggage was lost, how soon was is returned to you?

Edited by SunnyNy

We flew Newark to Copenhagen and returned from Stockholm in August (non-stop both ways) on SAS; no problems with checked luggage.  We just flew New York to Venice on Delta (non-stop) and also no problems.  You don't mention which airports you are using, so I can't tell whether this would be relevant to you.

I'll be flying Delta with one stop, transiting through Atlanta with a fairly long layover which helps somewhat.  I will be using an Apple air tag  which would tell me that my luggage is onboard, but it will be a long flight to Barcelona if I don't get that "ping"!

27 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I'll be flying Delta with one stop, transiting through Atlanta with a fairly long layover which helps somewhat.  I will be using an Apple air tag  which would tell me that my luggage is onboard, but it will be a long flight to Barcelona if I don't get that "ping"!

You will only need the AirTag if the luggage gets lost – Delta's App will keep you posted on the progress of your luggage from the check-in desk to the plane.

Traveled from California to Amsterdam in September. Purposely chose connections within the US. No problems arriving in AMS. However, those departing AMS had a completely different experience. Long lines outside the airport waiting to get in. I hear it has returned to the same chaotic experiences as over the summer. (We departed from Paris, again connecting in the US). Never had an issue with luggage. Also traveled Delta both ways and their baggage tracker on their app synced up with our Air Tags. Our connections both ways were in Salt Lake City. It was very easy.

traveled from california to kenya in august and united decided to send my luggage across two hubs and then it sat in nairobi for two days while they alternately they couldn’t find it but were “urgently” searching for it…i know the actual history as opposed to their lies because i had airtags which were actually separated for about 10 hours.  Now they don’t want pay for the clothing i needed to buy to survive for 4 days…airlines suck! !! 4 days can be a long time without luggage.

Check with you credit card.  It happens to us in Australia 6 years ago.  Bagages staye in Los Angeles.  We were in Cairns, they said the next day on a quantas flight.  The flight was suppose to arrive at 15:00 the ship was leaving at 17:30 with the first two days at sea.  At 14:00 I looked from the balcony and said to my husband I can see the airport, go there to be sure. So he took a cab ( he doesn’t speak english very well but he is wise lol) so wait for him.  At 17:00 here he is onboard with no lugages ( the fligh was delayed) they will send it to Townsville. Then he has a lot of bags, I said what is it?. He said I phone the credit card and after a 24 hours delay we have $2000 to buy clothes. So he took a cab form the airport to a large store. He asks a clerk who was about my size to try clothes for me. He knew my shoes size, bra size etc…. In the bags was a cocktail dress, a regular dress, capri , t-shirts, sandals evening shoes bra, panties etc… plus things for him.  I said the dress won’t fit, that when he told me how he choose a ckeck as a model.  Try the clothes every fit persfectly.  Then at 17:25 (we were on deck for the sail away) we saw our lugages arriving. Thank you to our credit card lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iata said:

Check with you credit card.  It happens to us in Australia 6 years ago.  Bagages staye in Los Angeles.  We were in Cairns, they said the next day on a quantas flight.  The flight was suppose to arrive at 15:00 the ship was leaving at 17:30 with the first two days at sea.  At 14:00 I looked from the balcony and said to my husband I can see the airport, go there to be sure. So he took a cab ( he doesn’t speak english very well but he is wise lol) so wait for him.  At 17:00 here he is onboard with no lugages ( the fligh was delayed) they will send it to Townsville. Then he has a lot of bags, I said what is it?. He said I phone the credit card and after a 24 hours delay we have $2000 to buy clothes. So he took a cab form the airport to a large store. He asks a clerk who was about my size to try clothes for me. He knew my shoes size, bra size etc…. In the bags was a cocktail dress, a regular dress, capri , t-shirts, sandals evening shoes bra, panties etc… plus things for him.  I said the dress won’t fit, that when he told me how he choose a ckeck as a model.  Try the clothes every fit persfectly.  Then at 17:25 (we were on deck for the sail away) we saw our lugages arriving. Thank you to our credit card lol

That is quite a story!  I do have similar coverage just in case, but would prefer to avoid the drama.

• Like 2

We did a land vacation last month in Europe.  We had no problem with bags going to Europe.  Connection time in LHR was very long.

Coming home had no issues until we got to our final airport DFW.  At the previous connection my AirTags showed that our suitcases were last seen very close to the airplane, closest I had seen for AirTags.  (I have never gotten a reading from AirTags when they are on the airplane).

As we were walking to baggage in DFW I got an email that our bags were delayed, and yes AirTags showed they were still in IAD.  Baggage personnel were no help (at first) about filling out a claim.  Since we were driving to OKC the next day, the attendant said I needed to fill out the claim there (the next day!).  Finally a supervisor was called and got the claim filled out at DFW.  The Supervisor called me about 10 minutes later to give me the routing of the bags to get to me (none of that happened).  The next day every time I called I was given a story about what plane they were on or they were on their way.  I was able to explain to them that the AirTags in the bags told me different, and then they would start checking the status.  The AirTags gave me the information so I could push back when they gave me "pulled from the air" status.

Finally found a baggage person in OKC who said she could pull the bags and I got them the next morning.  Don't think this could have happened if I had waited until we drove to OKC to work the claim.  I was told, after I completed the claim, that the bags had been pulled aside in IAD to be handled to get to me.