Panama Canal Transit

conniehar

We have an upcoming cruise on the Jewel that goes through the Panama Canal.  We have a picture window room booked but I'm wondering if we would really like a balcony room - it's significantly more expensive.   I know it takes 8-10 hours to travel through the canal.  Are we going to want to be standing at the deck railings the whole time where sitting on a balcony might be welcomed?  Just can't decide - lol.

You will want to move all over the ship.  In the past, Captains have opened the crew only bow area for passengers during the transit.

I would stay put and put that extra money into something else like another cruise.  Your cruise could be very warm and humid.

I have done a full transit twice both times in an Inside cabin and I did not miss much.

We had a balcony on our Panama Canal cruise and I didn’t use it all day. I was out and about, on different decks as the ship moved up and down through the locks, looking out both sides of the ship and both fore and aft. Plenty of seating both inside and out if you want to sit for a while. 

My 2nd cruise was through the Panama Canal, from San Diego, on the Pearl.  Only cruise where I didn't have a balcony.  The captain opened the front deck and I got up early to get a good view, stayed there for the majority of the time.  But I do like having a balcony so I'd probably get one if I do that trip again but not necessarily for viewing the transit portion of the trip.

On that cruise, I had OV/gty (booked late) and ended up with a porthole, deck 4.  Pretty bad location except that in retrospect I should have spent some time watching from water level!  On that cruise we left San Diego while there was a hurricane in Mexico, so we had to go way out to sea to miss the bad weather but it was still rough waters.  My porthole was underwater much of the time those first few days - quite an experience, fortunately I'm not claustrophobic.