Sea Day Brunch - I don't get the hype

Woody14

We sailed in June and did the Brunch twice.

We really enjoyed the yogurt parfait, Salmon Super Salad, Avocado Toast and 12-Hour french toast.  Best of my knowledge those items are not on the buffet.  Now if your idea of dining adventure is a ho-hum omelet or short-stack of pancakes, maybe other dining options would be for you (we made it a point on that cruise to order things we have never tried or have no chance of making at home).  As for no filet...ooh...filet...probably the most tasteless cut of steak ever.  That chewy whatever steak, while of lesser "quality" definitely had more flavor.

Was it worth the 1:45 of time from the time we were seated until we were served and finished eating?  One day it was because the others at our table were just going with the flow (time wise) and we pretty much enjoyed chatting with each other.  We all realized we were probably not missing anything that might be going on around the ship.

The second day...not...the two couples seated with us were likely the four most negative curmudgeons on the entire ship.  One couple was young...say late 20's.  The other late 60's.  Would have just eaten cold left over buffet toast had I known.  But what saved the day was that my son received all his food (and he ordered about 4 entrees and 4 appetizers} before the rest of us received our first item.  I almost broke out laughing when the waiter would come up to the table with a plate and set it in front of him.  I could just see the anger growing in the other 4.  Entertainment is where you find it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Menu change or no, I've always enjoyed Sea Day brunch on the smaller ships because I think the food has been better, which also means it's usually on a trip when I'm with my husband.

I'm usually not a morning eater (or morning person, for that matter ... I usually eat lunch around 2-3p.m and dinner after 9 p.m.), but for some reason I will just crush a pancetta scramble on Sea Day Brunch. The brunch spaghetti is pretty great too. 

On the other hand, my husband's favorite meal is breakfast/brunch and he loves that he can get his fill of both sweet and savory plates with zero judgement. 

I think it's a nice break from the buffet or Blue Iguana. Would I be in on an upcharge brunch at, say, steakhouse? Absolutely. But I think what is on offer as part of included dining is a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

I was recetly on my first Carnival Cruise in 5 years.  My traveling partners were first timers.  I LOVED the seaday brunch in the old days.  My favorite was Hey Porkchop!  I also liked the eggs benedict with salmon which they still had.  Is it as great as it used to be?  No.  Did I enjoy it?  Yes.  Did my friends like it?  They loved it.  The skillet cake was yummy.  Next time I'll try the french toast.  

I think the breakfast buffet is disgusting - there is nothing on the breakfast buffet I think is good these days. So I do like sea day brunch but it is NOTHING like it was as several have said.

In general Carnival’s food has gone way downhill since the COVID restart.

18 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I think the breakfast buffet is disgusting - there is nothing on the breakfast buffet I think is good these days. So I do like sea day brunch but it is NOTHING like it was as several have said.

In general Carnival’s food has gone way downhill since the COVID restart.

Disgusting? Come on now, a wee bit harsh don't ya think? I've eaten there plenty of times and it's far from disgusting. Repetitive, some dishes not hot enough, some things over cooked? Absolutely, but disgusting? Average generally with the occasional very good, mixed with a smattering of great on occasion is a more apt description. 😁  The one thing I find disgusting is all the community condiments and open jars but that's more of a disgusting people problem and a personal hangup; I'd much prefer single serve sealed packets of everything.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Disgusting? Come on now, a wee bit harsh don't ya think? I've eaten there plenty of times and it's far from disgusting. Repetitive, some dishes not hot enough, some things over cooked? Absolutely, but disgusting? Average generally with the occasional very good, mixed with a smattering of great on occasion is a more apt description. 😁  The one thing I find disgusting is all the community condiments and open jars but that's more of a disgusting people problem and a personal hangup; I'd much prefer single serve sealed packets of everything.  

Since the restart: The scrambled eggs are strangely watery and flavorless. The bacon is greasy, limp, and you feel like like you're taking mom's tupperware to school when you ask for it on the days they even bother to have it. The sausage most days is just cut up hot dogs. When you actually get real sausage, it's brown and serve links from the frozen section of Walmart. The biscuits taste like a paste of raw flour and baking soda and could be used to drive nails. The only thing that's worth eating is the eggs benedict and even that is usually cold and bland. What is actually good to eat on the breakfast buffet in your opinion?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Since the restart: The scrambled eggs are strangely watery and flavorless. The bacon is greasy, limp, and you feel like like you're taking mom's tupperware to school when you ask for it on the days they even bother to have it. The sausage most days is just cut up hot dogs. When you actually get real sausage, it's brown and serve links from the frozen section of Walmart. The biscuits taste like a paste of raw flour and baking soda and could be used to drive nails. The only thing that's worth eating is the eggs benedict and even that is usually cold and bland. What is actually good to eat on the breakfast buffet in your opinion?

Tell us how you really feel lol. That was hilarious, mom's tupperware made me laugh out loud. I've had perfectly prepared benidicts and I've had over cooked benidicts with crusty english muffins, it can certainly vary but I wouldn't label the entire experience as disgusting. I've always found something that works, even if it wasn't executed particularly well.    

• Like 3

I still enjoy the Seaday Brunch; however, wish they hadn’t cut the hours down to noon. Love the tall, skinny glasses of orange juice, usually have 3. Nice to just sit down and enjoy being waited on and better menu options than the buffet.

• Like 5

After countless other days getting omelets, buffet, and burritos, it's another nice option. The steak and eggs was always my go-to. I'm sad to see the filet go. I would have been fine with a sirloin or flat iron. That strip loin is terrible.

50 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I've had perfectly prepared benidicts and I've had over cooked benidicts with crusty english muffins, 

We had the opposite experience. On the buffet the English Muffin for the Eggs Benedict were raw from the package and not toasted. The muffins were of course baked at a bakery so when I use the word "raw" I am saying the muffins weren't warmed up in an oven much less put through a toaster. I spoke to the Executive Chef about it on the ship and suggested that opened muffins could be placed on sheet pans and put under the salamander ( broiler for those who are scratching their heads or thinking I'm being boujie) to toast the muffins. This is common culinary practice in large hotels in the U.S. serving Eggs Benedict on buffets and at large banquet parties and I said this to the Executive Chef. It was a short, polite conversation. I'd rather share on board to give the crew a chance to do better than complain in a survey after the fact. 

7 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

We had the opposite experience. On the buffet the English Muffin for the Eggs Benedict were raw from the package and not toasted. The muffins were of course baked at a bakery so when I use the word "raw" I am saying the muffins weren't warmed up in an oven much less put through a toaster. I spoke to the Executive Chef about it on the ship and suggested that opened muffins could be placed on sheet pans and put under the salamander ( broiler for those who are scratching their heads or thinking I'm being boujie) to toast the muffins. This is common culinary practice in large hotels in the U.S. serving Eggs Benedict on buffets and at large banquet parties and I said this to the Executive Chef. It was a short, polite conversation. I'd rather share on board to give the crew a chance to do better than complain in a survey after the fact. 

I've experienced untoasted english muffins as well, makes cutting through them difficult. I just improvised and got two and made a sandwich and then sopped up the broken yolks as I grubbed it. Ideal? No, but still serviceable and certainly not disgusting. There is also the option to grab a few more than usual and just not eat the english muffins. Low carb style.   

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I've experienced untoasted english muffins as well, makes cutting through them difficult. I just improvised and got two and made a sandwich and then sopped up the broken yolks as I grubbed it. Ideal? No, but still serviceable and certainly not disgusting. There is also the option to grab a few more than usual and just not eat the english muffins. Low carb style.   

The 4 people at the table next to us in the lido that day also had chosen the Eggs Benedict and didn't eat the bread. The cooks who prepared the food cut  corners and it was a miss. I couldn't eat it the way you did but good you dealt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

After countless other days getting omelets, buffet, and burritos, it's another nice option. The steak and eggs was always my go-to. I'm sad to see the filet go. I would have been fine with a sirloin or flat iron. That strip loin is terrible.

I tried some that my daughters that she didn't finish and It honestly wasn't as bad as folks make it out to be. There were a few bites that were absolutely delicious but there is definitely a small section that should could not be eaten, but each one was mostly edible/good. Skip the cartilage areas and the rest isn't so bad, you may need to order a few to get full though. 

3 hours ago, Pyxie said:

Because it's a discussion forum. The OP is entitled to their opinion just as everyone else is entitled to theirs and there is nothing wrong with everyone sharing those opinions in a polite way.

As the OP I am appreciating every ones opinions on this.   I didn't get the hype but I am glad others still are.   I am kind of disappointed I didn't try carnival when I could have gotten a filet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

As the OP I am appreciating every ones opinions on this.   I didn't get the hype but I am glad others still are.   I am kind of disappointed I didn't try carnival when I could have gotten a filet.

Many of us are hopeful Carnival will reverse the cutbacks soon and reinstate a lot of the things we used to love. Maybe you'll be able to experience the filet again.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I tried some that my daughters that she didn't finish and It honestly wasn't as bad as folks make it out to be. There were a few bites that were absolutely delicious but there is definitely a small section that should could not be eaten, but each one was mostly edible/good. Skip the cartilage areas and the rest isn't so bad, you may need to order a few to get full though. 

Come on, people should not have to fight with a piece beef to find the few good pieces that are edible. The ones I have tried to eat had tough lines of sinew tissue throughout them as well as gristle and fat. I can handle the fat as its nature's way of tenderizing and flavoring beef but sinew and gristle are just plain bad. To say ' you may have to order a few to get full ' is nuts. Don't order it is my advice and that's sound advice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Come on, people should not have to fight with a piece beef to find the few good pieces that are edible. The ones I have tried to eat had tough lines of sinew tissue throughout them as well as gristle and fat. I can handle the fat as its nature's way of tenderizing and flavoring beef but sinew and gristle are just plain bad. To say ' you may have to order a few to get full ' is nuts. Don't order it is my advice and that's sound advice.

Fair point but it's like anything in life, take the good and leave the rest. Control the controllable and sail on! 😀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Fair point but it's like anything in life, take the good and leave the rest. Control the controllable and sail on! 😀

There's another maxim: don't take it if you're going to leave it " hence my advice to order anything else on the menu.

• Like 1

I finally went to brunch for the first time after the restart. Heard so much about it especially the filet. After our group of 4 were seated we got our drink order then sat there for nearly an hour with no service. I grabbed the attention of passing staff twice  but still no service so I walked out.

After that cruise they got rid of the filet. 

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Disgusting? Come on now, a wee bit harsh don't ya think?   😁

Actually, the poster was being kind. I have seen posts describing all of the food on Carnival as "inedible". Those poor people... Going on a cruise and not having a single thing to eat the entire time... 

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The OP tried it, didn’t enjoy the experience.

Why do people feel the need to defend the experience?

OP didn’t attack anyone. Didn’t demean anyone. Didn’t belittle anyone.

But they did ask "Did I totally miss this or???"  
So people responded with what the draw for them is.  Or they agreed with OP. 

• Like 2