NCL air nonstop?

sgtjjmayle

Hi all,

Not sure if this answer is floating out there somewhere, I tried searching and didn't find it. Does NCL usually book a nonstop flight if possible, or does it all depends on the airports you are flying to and from? Thanks in advance!

They book whatever gets you to your destination for the best possible financial arrangement for them.

For Domestic flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of one connection when possible; air schedules permitting.
For International flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of two connections when possible; air schedules permitting.
If flying from the West Coast to the East Coast of the U.S., we reserve an overnight flight allowing you plenty of time to get to your destination city.
For cruises concluding on the East Coast of the US, you may be reserved on a flight that departs up to 10:30 p.m. depending on available inventory and to offer the best schedule.
For cruises concluding on the West Coast of the U.S. with guests returning home to a city located on the East Coast or central U.S., you may be reserved on a flight that departs up to 11:59 p.m. depending on available inventory.
Guests embarking or disembarking in PortMiami may be reserved on flights arriving or departing at Miami International Airport (MIA) or Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL).

They will book you on the cheapest flight for them.  It won’t always be a direct flight and won’t always be at a convenient time.  In August they put me on a 5:15 AM flight with a connection when there were three nonstops the same day.  (We flew in the day before.). Same for the return flight.  I was not a happy camper.  I did manage to get on the direct flight to NYC, but it took a lot of muscle using my status with AA, and it still cost me more money to do it and messed up the return flight.  I don’t think I’ll ever useNCL air for a domestic flight again.  

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

They will book you on the cheapest flight for them.  It won’t always be a direct flight and won’t always be at a convenient time.  In August they put me on a 5:15 AM flight with a connection when there were three nonstops the same day.  (We flew in the day before.). Same for the return flight.  I was not a happy camper.  I did manage to get on the direct flight to NYC, but it took a lot of muscle using my status with AA, and it still cost me more money to do it and messed up the return flight.  I don’t think I’ll ever useNCL air for a domestic flight again.  

heard if you had costco membership, flight changes were free?

The notion of should I or should I not book airlines with the cruise line is a question for the ages.  Every month on different cruise brands the question comes up. The answer is pretty simple if you truly understand cruise lines, brands and the industry.

Cruise lines look for the cheapest most inconvenient way to get you from home to the port. Direct flights are more expensive then changing planes.  Just try to book the same flight yourself and you will see.  What attracts us all to at least looking at cruise line flights are the special promotions.  Second passenger has free airfare promotions are what happened most recently. 

The more a guest cruise, the more lessons are learned.  I learned decade ago, to never book air with the cruise line.  I did once which is all it takes for most people.  I had to take  red-eye.  The plane was delayed and got to the port airport really late.  I was the last guest and they were pulling up the gangway as we got to the port.  They had every intention to leave without us.  I was completely stressed, my wife in tears.  I said that day, this is NEVER going yo happen again.  

Now, over 20 cruises later, I always and I mean always get to the port the day before.  If I can't, I simply don't book the cruise, period.  That is the result of this one situation. Can it cost a bit more, yes.  Is it worth it, absolutely.  

Side note, I am going on a different brand next year to the Mediterranean on a 10 days cruise. My friends are talking the airfare, my wife and I are not gaining a discount of $1,000.00 per person.  Add to this, I booked through the Cruise Brand the pre-cruise hotel.  My friends refused to do this which means for this very expensive cruise, they are coming in the morning of the cruise.  I told them the risk and he refused to consider the Pre-Hotel option.  He said, the cruise line will hold the ship since he booked the airfare with them.  He is an idiot.  Cruise ship hold the ship for no one. 

Hope this wordy post makes sense to most whom read it.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 3

All I'll say is that it worked for us when we flew from LA to Barcelona last month for our cruise on the Epic.  We took the two day deviation and while I would not have personally booked the flights we had (WestJet out through Toronto and Air Canada through Montreal back), it worked and we actually arrived in Barcelona much earlier in the day than we expected.  

We're using NCL air for our cruise on the Escape in June and again arriving early.  If I get a red eye, then I get a red eye.  It doesn't bother me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

All I'll say is that it worked for us when we flew from LA to Barcelona last month for our cruise on the Epic.  We took the two day deviation and while I would not have personally booked the flights we had (WestJet out through Toronto and Air Canada through Montreal back), it worked and we actually arrived in Barcelona much earlier in the day than we expected.  

We're using NCL air for our cruise on the Escape in June and again arriving early.  If I get a red eye, then I get a red eye.  It doesn't bother me.

Same attitude here, although I wish I didn’t have to wait until 30 days out to get my itinerary.   My inner micro- manager is having a panic attack. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

I'm looking at a British Isles cruise and when I asked about Air I was told they do their best to have no more than 2 layovers.  Not for me.

If you’re departing from the US it’s tough to find a non stop.  We did the British Isles in 2018 on Royal Princess.   I scoured for an affordable non stop and the best I found was 1 layover in Jersey.  Which was fine, except the return flight was overnight in Jersey.  Torture, traveling all that way home then having to spend the night 2 hours away.  

18 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

I'm looking at a British Isles cruise and when I asked about Air I was told they do their best to have no more than 2 layovers.  Not for me.

Flying to London in a few weeks. Fly from my small regional airport to Seattle, then to London.  Arrive in London 9 am.  Couldn't have done better booking it myself.  # of layovers depends on available schedules.  Return from London in August was direct to LAX, then home.  Again, best possible schedule.

• Like 1