What's needed to travel to US?

OVgirl

I haven't cruised or even travelled since early 2019 and feel like a novice traveler.

I know to do the cruise check in and fill out their health questionnaire before leaving.

We'll fill out Verifly app for the cruise.

We'll be flying from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale, connecting in Newark.

We'll clear US immigration and customs in Ottawa.

Is there any benefit to use the Mobile Passport Control app?

Is this app helpful for disembarking the cruiseship in Fort Lauderdale?

Will we have to fill out a US health attestation with our vaccination records?

Looking forward to finally be back cruising.

Edited by OVgirl

Unfortunately, YOW isn't included in the small number of Canadian airports with MPC coverage, so there's no benefit outbound. NEXUS is your best bet if you have it.

On the other hand, Port Everglades does have MPC coverage, so you could use it there. As it's a free app, download it and keep an eye on the boards to see if MPC or NEXUS seems to be quicker when disembarking. Of course, if you don't have NEXUS, definitely go with MPC.

@LHT28, yes, YOW has pre-clearance, including expedited NEXUS line.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, YOW isn't included in the small number of Canadian airports with MPC coverage, so there's no benefit outbound. NEXUS is your best bet if you have it.

On the other hand, Port Everglades does have MPC coverage, so you could use it there. As it's a free app, download it and keep an eye on the boards to see if MPC or NEXUS seems to be quicker when disembarking. Of course, if you don't have NEXUS, definitely go with MPC.

@LHT28, yes, YOW has pre-clearance, including expedited NEXUS line.

I'm curious about the MPC program, and I'll be looking into it, in preparation for our upcoming trip YUL-FLL/Port Everglades trip in three weeks. The last time we arrived back at PE, last November, we walked up to a camera/screen, had our picture taken and when the light turned green, we walked away and were done, never having spoken to a human or waited in a line. We had precisely the same experience when returning to both Manhattan and Brooklyn this past summer. As NEXUS members since program inception, what would the MPC program give us over and above NEXUS?  Thanks...

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm curious about the MPC program, and I'll be looking into it, in preparation for our upcoming trip YUL-FLL/Port Everglades trip in three weeks. The last time we arrived back at PE, last November, we walked up to a camera/screen, had our picture taken and when the light turned green, we walked away and were done, never having spoken to a human or waited in a line. We had precisely the same experience when returning to both Manhattan and Brooklyn this past summer. As NEXUS members since program inception, what would the MPC program give us over and above NEXUS?  Thanks...

I'm a NEXUS member and have been for many years, so I'm very familiar with the program. On the other hand, I have only read about the MPC program, both on the US CBP's webpage and a wide variety of travel and similar webpages. Both programs are designed to reduce the time required to enter the US, but take a very different approach, with the MPC being free, available to anyone, and not requiring any pre-approval. For Canadians, with the current NEXUS application/renewal problems, the MPC offers an alternative, at least temporarily.

While NEXUS can be used at all 9 US pre-clearance sites in Canada, as well as most land border crossings, MPC is only available in the Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal airports and at no land border crossing locations. I don't have a current list of US seaports using NEXUS, but it would be more extensive than the 4 listed ports using MPC: Miami, Port Everglades, Palm Beach and San Juan.

For NEXUS members, the only potential benefit to having the MPC app that I can think of would be in a situation where there are separate expedited lines for each program, and the MPC line is shorter. That may be the case currently, but as this free app becomes better known, I suspect that it will become the longer of the two lines in the not too distant future.

Other factors, such as the use of facial recognition at PE, also suggest to me that having the MPC app may be somewhat redundant. While I'll keep an eye on developments, particularly the impasse between the US and Canadian officials on NEXUS, I'm in no hurry to download the MPC app.

Now that you are aware of MPC, you might want to see if there is a separate line for people using the app when you go through pre-clearance at YUL. And see if there is any sign of it at PE. Let us know what you find. Oh yes, and enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Now that you are aware of MPC, you might want to see if there is a separate line for people using the app when you go through pre-clearance at YUL. And see if there is any sign of it at PE. Let us know what you find. Oh yes, and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As long-time NEXUS card holders, pretty much since program inception, it will be interesting to see what, if any, benefits the MPC program brings to the table. I've just done an MPC entry for our upcoming trip and will definitely be watching out for any signs of it being beneficial, both at YUL and at PE as well. Quite honestly, with the facial recognition at the ports being so simple, I can't imagine how it can be made any easier, at least for us. We do tend to do the earliest possible walkoff with baggage in tow, so we inevitably end up at the "border" facing the cameras, among the very first off the ship, so lines to use it are never an issue.  If only the airports were as easy  ;o)

Something I failed to mention earlier: Global Entry members have been warned by US CBP not to try to use GE and MPC simultaneously. While NEXUS and Global Entry aren't identical programs, they are quite similar and whatever concerns CBP has with using GE and MPC simultaneously might also apply to NEXUS:

NOTE: Travelers can only use one automated traveler entry program per arrival. This means if you are a member of Global Entry, you can only use the Global Entry kiosk or MPC, but you cannot use both.

If a Global Entry member attempts to use both entry programs upon arrival, the Global Entry system will automatically delete the traveler’s Global Entry fingerprint file. The Global Entry member will then have to visit a Global Entry Enrollment Center to have their fingerprints retaken. Otherwise, future use of Global Entry or MPC will result in a “X” receipt that forces the traveler to go through the normal entry process. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3693?language=en_US

I've not been able to find a similar warning for NEXUS members, but until there's clarification,  I wouldn't take a chance and make an MPC submission before leaving home, then decide to use the NEXUS line once at the airport because it's shorter. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Something I failed to mention earlier: Global Entry members have been warned by US CBP not to try to use GE and MPC simultaneously. While NEXUS and Global Entry aren't identical programs, they are quite similar and whatever concerns CBP has with using GE and MPC simultaneously might also apply to NEXUS:

NOTE: Travelers can only use one automated traveler entry program per arrival. This means if you are a member of Global Entry, you can only use the Global Entry kiosk or MPC, but you cannot use both.

If a Global Entry member attempts to use both entry programs upon arrival, the Global Entry system will automatically delete the traveler’s Global Entry fingerprint file. The Global Entry member will then have to visit a Global Entry Enrollment Center to have their fingerprints retaken. Otherwise, future use of Global Entry or MPC will result in a “X” receipt that forces the traveler to go through the normal entry process. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3693?language=en_US

I've not been able to find a similar warning for NEXUS members, but until there's clarification,  I wouldn't take a chance and make an MPC submission before leaving home, then decide to use the NEXUS line once at the airport because it's shorter. 

Thanks VERY much for posting this. A quick search online shows a number of confirming comments regarding "superimposing" NEXUS and MPC.   Statements like:

"Nexus still supersedes/is superior to MPC. Especially since the US completely switched to facial recognition, and it takes a literal 10-15 seconds to clear immigration at the GE kiosk. Do NOT use MPC if you're enrolled in any trusted traveler program. There are enough DPs on Flyertalk and Reddit to suggest it doesn't speed up the process further, and if anything, may just cause unnecessary confusion instead."

I've already deleted the newly installed MPC app off my phone and we'll be sticking with good old NEXUS. Thanks again for the clarification

• Like 4

On 10/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, OVgirl said:

I haven't cruised or even travelled since early 2019 and feel like a novice traveler.

FWIW, I feel the same way.  While we've flown within Canada and driven to the US for some day trips, I haven't flown to the US or beyond since 2019.  So I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and also get familiarized with all the evolving travel requirements.  

I just recently discovered this MPC app so I intend to use it on our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in November. We are flying out of Kitchener, Ont so for us the customs entry will be when we land In Fort Lauderdale. We shall see if it gets us through any faster.  We usually fly out of Pearson so have always done US customs in Toronto and never had to go through customs upon arrival.  Hopefully it’s a smooth process. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 12:53 PM, dadofjessie said:

YOW used to have pre-clearance.  I don't know about now.  When we were arranging for our flights to Fort Lauderdale for February 2023, we couldn't get direct flights so we opted to drive to Montreal and fly direct from there.

Ottawa (YOW) still has US pre-clearance.  Like you, we will be driving to YUL for our Feb cruise out of Fort Lauderdale as well, although I have not yet booked our flights.  The only direct non-stop YOW flight is Air Canada Rouge - done them, don’t want to again. I haven’t booked flights yet as once airlines started flying again Air Canada filled their schedules with far too many flights that were not likely to fly.  I think they scheduled a bunch just to see which flight times most people would like, then cancel the others.  Since I started  keeping an eye out on flights on this route they have already deleted some flights.  So far the flights I’m preferring are still there so I’d better book them soon before the prices go up.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:14 AM, thon said:

Ottawa (YOW) still has US pre-clearance.  Like you, we will be driving to YUL for our Feb cruise out of Fort Lauderdale as well, although I have not yet booked our flights.  The only direct non-stop YOW flight is Air Canada Rouge - done them, don’t want to again. I haven’t booked flights yet as once airlines started flying again Air Canada filled their schedules with far too many flights that were not likely to fly.  I think they scheduled a bunch just to see which flight times most people would like, then cancel the others.  Since I started  keeping an eye out on flights on this route they have already deleted some flights.  So far the flights I’m preferring are still there so I’d better book them soon before the prices go up.

We flew AC Rouge once and I agree with you, never again.  As for our flights, we booked them through Celebrity when were making our cruise reservations.  At the time, they were the least expensive that we could find.