LHR Connection - What is reasonable?

jeb_bud

We're booked on an Athens to Istanbul cruise in May.  We have a use it or lose it air credit that we don't want to lose so we'll be taking the Regent air credit and booking our own flights.  Getting from home to Athens is looking pretty good with reasonable connection times in Denver and Toronto with a good arrival time.

My favorite flight home is through LHR with a 2.25 hour connection.  We don't put anything in our checked luggage that we need at home right away so I don't mind if our luggage gets waylaid, but of course I don't want to miss our connection during that long trip home.  What experiences have y'all had connecting through LHR lately?  Thanks for any wisdom you can provide.

5 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

We're booked on an Athens to Istanbul cruise in May.  We have a use it or lose it air credit that we don't want to lose so we'll be taking the Regent air credit and booking our own flights.  Getting from home to Athens is looking pretty good with reasonable connection times in Denver and Toronto with a good arrival time.

My favorite flight home is through LHR with a 2.25 hour connection.  We don't put anything in our checked luggage that we need at home right away so I don't mind if our luggage gets waylaid, but of course I don't want to miss our connection during that long trip home.  What experiences have y'all had connecting through LHR lately?  Thanks for any wisdom you can provide.

We transferred through Heathrow three weeks ago. Initial flight landed around 11am. Transfer connection and customs lines were quick, they now use electronic scanners for passports. We were surprised at how quick everything went. In hindsight, we budgeted way too long a layover- you will be fine with 2.25 hours

I would be fine with that connection if traveling in F or business.  Coach, not so much.  We have gone through LHR with a terminal change and a 1 1/2 hr connection and made it, but that is cutting it pretty close.  Worse case is that you miss your flight which coming home isn’t at least for me as big of a deal.

This summer,  our flight leaving Copenhagen had issues and as much as we had originally over 2 hours to make our flight to Newark from London,  we didn’t.   So we had to spend the night, get rebooked and basically it was a PITA.   I won’t make that mistake again.  

A lot depends on which airlines you are connecting with. If it is BA to BA, 2,5 hours is probably fine—all in terminal 5. If you are going BA to American, that means a bus ride from terminal 5 to terminal 3 with an additional security check. 2 hours would be my minimum. It all depends on the security lines and how crowded the bus is. I’m not that familiar with other airline partner connections. 

Too close for comfort.  Having been through Heathrow several times in the past two months, its not worth the risk.  The airport itself is enormous and, as Jimmcdaniel notes, if you change terminals that is an added layer of complexity & risk along with long lines if you are economy class. 

Add in possible flight arrival delays due to weather or late departures (not uncommon).

I remember seeing a photo of luggage held up in Heathrow a few years ago.  Regent passengers on that cruise never saw their luggage until well after that cruise ended.  After seeing that photo.... and following the blogs of those cruisers with no luggage..... I've made sure to NEVER check luggage through Heathrow!!!

Regent Air has booked my brother & sister-in-law on a 1 hr. 15 min. connection at LHR less than 2 weeks from now. It is BA international to international (arrival from Athens & departure to JFK) in Terminal 5. I have been to LHR a hundred times but never to Terminal 5. I assume they don't need to do immigration but that there is some kind of secondary security for a U.S. departure. Does this make sense & if not, will Regent make a change once you are on the ship or enroute or is it up to the airline to fix it?

Regent has also booked them on a 2 hr. 15 min. connection at JFK - international arrival at Terminal 7 to domestic departure in Terminal 8. They need to clear immigration, claim & recheck luggage in Terminal 7 then take the Air Train to Terminal 8 & go through TSA.

This all assumes all flights are on time.

I would not bet they will make both of those. They seem to trust Regent Air although neither they nor I have ever used them to make air travel arrangements.

Advice?

Edited by diebroke

We were in business class from Prague to Heathrow to Miami on June 5th. Our first flight was BA landing in Terminal 3, and our second was American taking off from Terminal 5. Our first flight arrived on time, and we were among the first off the plane. We had 2 hours and 50 minutes, had studied the map, and tried to move quickly. We were good until we got to the line for the bus. It was long, with buses not arriving very often. After nearly 30 minutes in line, with the lines getting longer all of the time, buses suddenly started showing up  as soon as the previous one left. We then got to the terminal 5 train, and everything moved more smoothly there, but we were misdirected to our gate by 2 different employees toward the end. We made it with enough time to stop at the restrooms before boarding. Our luggage also made it to our plane. It came off first in Miami, so it might have made it at the last minute as well.

Probably a question for the UK members. We are flying from Miami to LHR and from there to Manchester - BA both flights into and out of T5. What is the process for catching the domestic flight after we land at LHR? Had a look at the website and it refers to following the purple and white signs hand luggage check and security so does that mean we have to go through passport control? And will that be at the gate we arrive (don't know if that will be A, B or C - I think domestic flights usually leave from A gates). Many thanks and sorry for hi-jacking your thread jeb_bud 

@Techno123   I think you're right about the Miami flight arriving at B or C and the Manchester flight leaving from A  - so there will be a ride on the shuttle - but we've never connected in T5 so I won't hazard a guess about where you will show your passport.

Have you tried Connecting flights | Heathrow  ?  Maybe inputting your specific flight details might bring a clearer answer?   Good luck!!  (If that doesn't work, maybe give BA a ring?)

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 10:44 PM, Jimmcdaniel said:

A lot depends on which airlines you are connecting with. If it is BA to BA, 2,5 hours is probably fine—all in terminal 5. If you are going BA to American, that means a bus ride from terminal 5 to terminal 3 with an additional security check. 2 hours would be my minimum. It all depends on the security lines and how crowded the bus is. I’m not that familiar with other airline partner connections. 

The itinerary I’m looking at is Turkish Air into LHR and United from LHR to DEN. I will have to do a little research on which terminals will be used. We will be in Business Class which should help a little. 

the good news is that it will be a homeward bound trip so I really don’t care if our luggage arrives with us as long as it does eventually arrive. 

6 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Probably a question for the UK members. We are flying from Miami to LHR and from there to Manchester - BA both flights into and out of T5. What is the process for catching the domestic flight after we land at LHR? Had a look at the website and it refers to following the purple and white signs hand luggage check and security so does that mean we have to go through passport control? And will that be at the gate we arrive (don't know if that will be A, B or C - I think domestic flights usually leave from A gates). Many thanks and sorry for hi-jacking your thread jeb_bud 

Hi Techno,

We have taken that route you are on quite a few times . Our connection flight it’s to Aberdeen and also A gates. You need to follow the purple signs for T5 flight connections . You will go through passport control and then to security. In August this took ages as only 2 of the hand luggage belts were operational and it was a very lengthy process. Also there was no fast track line at the security area.  As Lonedaddy said the website information is quite helpful.  Jean.

• Like 1

We've made five return flights through LHR over the last couple of months and each transit has been better/less hassle than the one before.  We arrived in T2 last week and had no problem at all - just like the old days, easy peasy.  The luggage mountains have disappeared everywhere it seems - not just LHR, but in other European airports we've transited.   I hope I haven't spoken too soon 🙂

and of course, Jean, @liptastic, you were the obvious source of reliable information and experience about changing flights!!  I ought to have left it to you 😉

• Like 1

Gilly that’s good to know things are improving.  It’s not something that is mentioned now as an issue on the news and reading here on CC it definitely sounds much better. 
Our flights home were on time but the security ques and passport control were definitely bottle neck areas . Jean 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liptastic said: Our connection flight it’s to Aberdeen and also A gates. You need to follow the purple signs for T5 flight connections . You will go through passport control and then to security. In August this took ages as only 2 of the hand luggage belts were operational and it was a very lengthy process. Also there was no fast track line at the security area.  As Lonedaddy said the website information is quite helpful.  Jean.

Hi Jean. We lived in Aberdeen for 5 years but used to drive up and down from North Wales (now that did take forever) I used to work at Foresterhill and Ian worked in Dyce 😁

regent have only allowed 1.5 hours for the Man/LHR transfer both ways.So on the way out we are flying down the night before and rechecking the luggage before we embark the Miami flight (with air tags in the cases) as I really don't want to arrive without my cases. On the way back, not so fussed so have stuck with Regents original flights and as we will check in through to Manchester, they will (hopefully) put us on the next flight if we are delayed but wanted to know what to expect.

thank you all for your replies 😁

• Like 1

Our friend just flew BZE DFW (AA) to LHR (BA) and to FCO 2 1/2 hr connection in DFW and LHR.  Bag made it to LHR but not to ROME.  Had an airtag so no need to wait on bag in Rome just go to hotel bag arrived the following evening.  Good thing she arrived several days before her cruise.

• Like 1

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/flights-and-transfer/transferring-at-fra.html   is the best I could find.  We've been through FRA a couple of times in the last month and I'd say that on both occasions it was busier than LHR.   Most recently, we just transferred from one Lufthansa flight to another on our way home from Trieste and thought we'd have a couple of hours to enjoy a beer and restock the Gummibären but the transit between gates (involving passport control since we were leaving the EU Schengen area and flying to UK) took more than an hour and we headed straight for the gate, not wanting to risk it.  It was another one of those passport controls where the queue was very long and people with short connections were coming forward in the hope of making it in time. If you don't have to undergo passport check or change terminals, then I'd say it's simply a case of walking time.

11 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Hi Jean. We lived in Aberdeen for 5 years but used to drive up and down from North Wales (now that did take forever) I used to work at Foresterhill and Ian worked in Dyce 😁

regent have only allowed 1.5 hours for the Man/LHR transfer both ways.So on the way out we are flying down the night before and rechecking the luggage before we embark the Miami flight (with air tags in the cases) as I really don't want to arrive without my cases. On the way back, not so fussed so have stuck with Regents original flights and as we will check in through to Manchester, they will (hopefully) put us on the next flight if we are delayed but wanted to know what to expect.

thank you all for your replies 😁

Hi Techno it sounds good idea for the overnight stay at Lhr prior to flying out. We have done the same a few times in the past.  We had ordered the Itags for our August cruise, but they arrived while we were happily aboard Navigator . We used luggage forward for the first time and we were glad we did , but didn’t for our return journey. 
Have a wonderful cruise.

I know Foresterhill quite well , we are quite a bit north of Aberdeen . 
Best wishes Jean.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/flights-and-transfer/transferring-at-fra.html   is the best I could find.  We've been through FRA a couple of times in the last month and I'd say that on both occasions it was busier than LHR.   Most recently, we just transferred from one Lufthansa flight to another on our way

Many thanks.