My NCL / NCL App?

Laszlo

Does anyone know how to clear your the email notification on My NCL and the NCL App? It's annoying when I log in and it shows a "New" email. I have 6 emails in the account. All of them date back to when I booked the cruise 18 months ago. Same thing on the App, it shows I have a new email when I don't.

• Like 1

I don't believe you can actually delete these messages but as @MotownVoice said, click on the message and read it...then it doesn't show up as you have a message. If you are showing one unread message go and click on each one until it goes away. It is never clear as to which messages are actually unread.

Edited by CaptainBazz
  • Like 1

Interesting. I just open my own app to see if I could find the path for marking everything read. And guess what. All of the old emails were marked unread and it showed that I had seven emails. So obviously they have just refreshed the app which has unread all of the messages. Maybe not for everyone but certainly for me and Laszlo. I clicked on every message and the number 7 went away.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

To use the NCL app do you need to pay for wifi on board? We usually put away our phones once we get on board, but we may need to check on some things while on board. We do have some free wifi minutes.

No.   You can use it the moment you install it to your smartphone and log in to it.

I'm guessing you will use it less on board than preparing for your cruise.  It may be useful for things like ordering food, making reservations, and picking up the Freestyle Daily.  But now is when you want to watch it for potential upgrade bidding, booking excursions, etc.

If you're not getting a wi-fi signal you will need to rely on your own cell signal.  That can be iffy in certain places, but if all you're doing is updating and sending quick data messages you should be fine just leaving your roaming open for those kinds of communications.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Does anyone know how to clear your the email notification on My NCL and the NCL App? It's annoying when I log in and it shows a "New" email. I have 6 emails in the account. All of them date back to when I booked the cruise 18 months ago. Same thing on the App, it shows I have a new email when I don't.

Check again. All my emails have the same date so I thought I had read all of them. Then I noticed that one was (slightly) bolded. This was the new email. 

20 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Check again. All my emails have the same date so I thought I had read all of them. Then I noticed that one was (slightly) bolded. This was the new email. 

Nope, none are bold. It's been like this for months. I've signed in and out a bunch of times, I've read them a bunch of times

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Nope, none are bold. It's been like this for months. I've signed in and out a bunch of times, I've read them a bunch of times

I just tried opening each message, then clicking the Back to Messages link and the 'New' count decremented each time and then went away.  This was on the web site.  Is that what you mean by My NCL?

3 hours ago, Nilbog said:

I believe, at this point, since you're not having any luck with the suggestions from other users, you might want to give NCL tech support a call.

Its a bug on their system. I deleted the App, reinstalled it and the mail was clear on both the App and the My NCL 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

To use the NCL app do you need to pay for wifi on board? We usually put away our phones once we get on board, but we may need to check on some things while on board. We do have some free wifi minutes.

Once on board, you can use the NCL app while your phone is in airplane mode by connecting to the ship's WiFi network.  You don't have to use your wifi minutes at all.  We use it that way frequently, to check our onboard accounts, look at or book excursions, look at the dailies, and so forth.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trivimp said:

Once on board, you can use the NCL app while your phone is in airplane mode by connecting to the ship's WiFi network.  You don't have to use your wifi minutes at all.  We use it that way frequently, to check our onboard accounts, look at or book excursions, look at the dailies, and so forth.  

Thank you for the information, i wasn't sure and i definitely did not want to put my phone on roam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Thank you for the information, i wasn't sure and i definitely did not want to put my phone on roam. 

Roaming gets very expensive, very fast!!  We always have our phones in airplane mode at sailaway.  Turn it back on once you're in port (but don't make calls or do anything data-intensive unless you have a good international plan... just check your notifications or whatever you need to do.) Then, back in airplane mode before you sail from that port.  If you leave the phone in normal mode, it will rack up roaming charges very quickly once you get out of range of any cell towers on land & it tries over & over again to acquire some kind of signal.  I'm sure you're aware of this, but just throwing the explanation out there in case a cruising neophyte happens to read this & wonders why everyone is talking about airplane mode.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

As soon as you step on the ship put it in airplane mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1